24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

help!!! lost key for vp44

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!!! lost key for vp44

I dropped the key for my new 44 I can only assume that it is in the housing what do i do now???
Frank
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM

If its in the front cover, you got to get it out. Keep looking, get a magnetic and start probeing.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 AM

I have a magnet but how do I get it down in their? any suggestions on where to try for?
frank
Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 AM

Probably be faster to take the cover off and look in. You'll also be able to get a magnet into the oil pan if it went in there.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 AM

What do I need to pull off the front cover? And how do I tell if its in the front cover or the pan? Can you give me a rough idea of whats involved in pulling the cover? PLEASE!!!
Frank
Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackRam1
What do I need to pull off the front cover? And how do I tell if its in the front cover or the pan? Can you give me a rough idea of whats involved in pulling the cover? PLEASE!!!
Frank
This can be good thing as well.
If you haven't tapped or checked the KDP this might be the time to do it.

You have to pull the dampener off and the fan. Then you have to remove about 20 bolts what are keeping the housing cover on.

Then probe the key back from the oil pan or between the gears and check the KDP on the same time.

Everybody says that it's not a problem with the 24v engines, but it is.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 AM

ok what am i looking for with the kdp? I'm going in!!!928-713-0021 for moral support
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Frank
Its not that hard.

remove the windshield washer tank
remove the overflow coolant tank
remove the fan and plastic fan cover
remove the bracket that was holding the fan
remove the front cover

I just had to do that except I did not realize my key fell off, now I am fishing for metal fragment in the oil pan
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM

You will need a new front seal, and gasket. I'd stake the dowel in, unless you have material kicking around to make a tab. Staking is much quicker and easier. Once you get the cover off, you will the key probably at the bottom of the timing case, but it might have fallen into the oil pan. Either way, should be easy to get at, since the sump is at the back, and not the front. Hardest part was getting the tanks off the fan shroud the first time, the rest is easy as pie.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM

Note that the keys are matched to the pump and there is a code on the side of the pump that tells which key out of around 20 of them IIRC, is the proper one. They are available at a pump shop or can be ordered.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 AM

You could secure a key. turn the engine through with wrench and check for locking. If no locking, key is probablly in pan and out of harms way. JMHO and taking a bad chance.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM

I found it yesterday morning, I decided to pull the ps pump off and gain access from their, good thing I did cause the key was in the ps pump housing behind the gear and it never would have been found from the front cover. So its all back together now THANK GOD!!!!! Got it all together just as it started to rain and sleet, so I bled it in the nastyness and it runs like a dream!!
Keys are cheep $20 overnight w/ shipping from mwdi, but I had to find it anyways.
Would still do it myself over having a shop mess it up. and even with loosing the key it wasnt all that bad just a lot of bolts/nuts.
Frank
Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM

I found it yesterday morning, I decided to pull the ps pump off and gain access from their, good thing I did cause the key was in the ps pump housing behind the gear and it never would have been found from the front cover. So its all back together now THANK GOD!!!!! Got it all together just as it started to rain and sleet, so I bled it in the nastyness and it runs like a dream!!
Keys are cheep $20 overnight w/ shipping from mwdi, but I had to find it anyways.
Would still do it myself over having a shop mess it up. and even with loosing the key it wasnt all that bad just a lot of bolts/nuts.
Frank
I didnt want to agrevate you as my key is currently where it belongs but now that your in better spirts thank you for learning my lesson the hard way.

Any good tips on how not to loose the key when I do it in the next week.
I need the pumps, gauges, a magnet and a mirror lol.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Found this good description..

"It is recommended to bar the engine over so that the keyway on the gear is at the 12-o'clock position when removing the fuel pump. This position can be found by taking the oil fill or fuel pump gear access cap off, whichever applies, and aligning the keyway in the fuel pump gear to the top dead center (TDC) position on the front cover. In this position the line on the fuel pump gear will approximately be in the 7-o'clock position.

NOTE: Doing the above will help prevent the fuel pump key from falling into the housing if it is loose."
Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM

now you tell me!!!! lol the engine was at TDC and it wont move on its own, unless I did something stupid,(dont think I did butttt) I just had the key off a fraction and when I went to slide it in it got caught up on something a bit and when it released it popped the key out. As best as I can figure thats the short version, just be super, super careful. I guess is the best advice, that and $h!t happens. Thankfully it all worked out A.O.K.
other than being super careful, try to watch the vids on youtube by dieseldan search for vp 44 and they will come up. its the series 1-5 with multiple parts of I think vid 3,4,5 due to length, really helps out with the stress levels, and vid 1 tells you all the tools you'll need. the lp is pretty self explanatory (not included in the videos) I got my pump from MWDI/ the diesel store, no problems within the first 100 miles so far, I got it quick, I am happy. They also have a setup that gives you a lp with it either a fass setup or an OEM one. If you order your gauge from them dont forget to order a banjo bolt (I thought it would come with it) it doesn't. If I hadn't lost my key I would have been done in 3 hours but in the "fishing expedition" It took 6, because I wanted to be sure I had to pull the cover before I did it, then I changed routes anyway. But my babies back!!!! (can you tell I'm happy?)
Frank

Last edited by BlackRam1; 03-13-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: tips

Quick Reply: help!!! lost key for vp44