24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help with Lift Pump issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Lift Pump issues!

Well I think I will be upgrading the fuel supply system.

I DONT HAVE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE YET BUT GETTING IT NOW!!!!!!

The week I was pulling my 14K Skidsteer CAT with all attachments and the truck gave me deal pedal but if I let off the fuel and ease on it, it would cruise 50 on the highway.
I thought it was water in the fuel maybe so I got off and drain some fuel out of the fuel filter bowl and added more fuel. I didnt change the filter because I had to turn of truck to do that and I was 2 hrs away from home. It idle good. AC kicking and just took it easy on a side main road.

It seemed like if not enough power up higher RPMs so I cruise home.

I would get to 70 but took for ever. No misfire of nothing.

Anyway check codes nothing.

My thing Sat. is to CHECK FUEL PRESS and install fuel gauge and light.

NOW!
Can the Lift Pump be weak and not throw a code??

It happens only when towing heavy load. Med and Light loads no problem!!!??

Also most important who where and how much for upgrading the lift pump system.
I want to go with the carter pump on the bracket frame system I read about. Can I reuse the same braket from the origanal location just bolt to frame rail and get bigger hoses?

Which is the part # for the bettter Carter that Napa sell?

I want to go with the Carter because its easy to change and readily availible everywhere! Also cost is cheap 110$ +/-.

Anyone know the higher output pump #?

Will truck run better stronger smoother and more powerful with a new upgrade lift pump?

Thks!T
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift pumps

The pressure to your vp44 should be kept at the 15 lbs deliver level. Maybe put a Raycor fuel filter inline with what you are installing that would keep the fuel clean if you maybe getting fuel from questionable sources. That is alot of weight to pull.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Yeah its 13,256 # actual scale. But I figured 14K with SKidsteer other tools and Dodge truck loaded with 130 gals fuel and ohter tools in bed.

Now anyone able to answer my other questions?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your pressure should not be below 10 psi at wide open throttle, the 98 i had did the same thing when the pump was going out i ended up putting on a holley blue and let it push thru the factory pump. did the same on the 03 when it went out
Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM

Can the Lift Pump be weak and not throw a code??

Yes - mine went out - IP sucked it to below 0 PSI per my gauge. No code - IP was still OK. I put the Cummins Carter Campaign pump on it. Abouit $68 as I remember. I'll try to find the number for you. Note that the Cummins parts man may not even be aware that they have it. I modified mine and mounted it on the frame rail.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Part# 4090046 Cummins aka Campaign pump $64.00? from Cummins direct if I remember right.

Quoted from my old post.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Your the man Glenn. This is the same Carter pump that is replacement but with differnet pressure? How did you mount on frame rail and where? Near your fuel tank or right next to engine? What is your pressure like now? Thks so much in advance!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:56 PM
xmr

I also bought the campaign kit lift pump and used the Vulcan big line kit to relocate the pump back in front of the fuel pump on the frame rail. (instructions come with the kit) it was very easy to do and I have had not further lift pump problems but if I do is now just a 15 minute job to change it out. The jis fittings with the pump eliminate all the banjo fittings from the tank to the vp44.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Ok but is the Campaign pump from Cummins different that the carter that Napa sells. It says Carter on it when I once looked at it. Now I really need one. Pls let me know the difference. THks!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:18 PM

I used th vulcan relocation and bigline kit too.It is an awesome kit.But you also have to take into account the kit is 130 bucks and plus a new pump 150 or so.You can get a fass for a couple hundred more.I would have done that if I did it over again.But the vulcan kit is great
Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Yeah but I want to be able to replace easily and for $100 bucks doesnt break the bank. I still heard of bad VP with Fass systems and other so this way I think I will go.

I do want to know the difference of a campaign pump from Cummins and a Carter from Napa. Thks!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM

I called Cummins in Houston a month or so ago, they get $160 now for the campaigh pump. You may tyr calling a few other dealers to see if they have it at the old price of $65 or so.
I do not know thw answer to your question. I think I would try to contact Carter to see if they can answer that. I am sure we all want to know!
I also highly recommend the Vulcan. It should have come from the factory this way!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:56 PM

IIRC, the pump you get from Cummins as a Campaign Pump has metric fittings. If you get the Carter pump you can get it with standard pipe fittings so it should be easier to connect if you're relocating it to the frame rail. You can get them from Summit here http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SilverRam3500
Your the man Glenn. This is the same Carter pump that is replacement but with differnet pressure? How did you mount on frame rail and where? Near your fuel tank or right next to engine? What is your pressure like now? Thks so much in advance!
I mounted the pump with self drilling fasteners about a foot or a bit more in front of the fuel tank. I cut the fuel line with a tubing cutter and reamed it. Had to use the banjo fittings from the old pump to connect to the campaign pump. One of the banjo fitting replacements would be better but I didn't have it. I added a Napa high performance cartridge filter before the pump as Napa doesn't guarantee their pumps without one. Last one went out in 10 months.

Pressure was about a lb higher - around 13 lbs at idle - 7-to 9 WOT
Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM

OK now I fount the Campaign Pump. They say it must be for industrial use only like ambulance Fire Department school bus etc,,,,,,
What the heck is that about.

I still have was I can get my hands on it but is it worth it for 160$. Versus the Carter at Napa runs me 120$ and its availble fast easy and everywhere.

I puting this on the vulcan relocate kit.

Well whay u think is the big difference on carter LP to Campaign transfer pump??????????????????

Quick Reply: Help with Lift Pump issues!