24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

gauge help for a noobie

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge help for a noobie

I've been reading the past few months and looking at pictures, but still am unsure what gauge setup to go with. My truck is stock, and I don't have plans to bomb it (famous last words)
Being a manual, I don't need a tranny temp. I plan on filling a triple gauge pod with EGT, Boost, and Fuel Pressure.

A-pillar or Dash mount?
I've looked at tons of pics; it seems most people go with the A-pillar. Do you really lose any visibility? Is any installation easier than the other. I'm thinking the dash mount would be a good place since that space is un-used, and it wouldnt block any visibility.

ISSpro vs. DiPricol?

Fuel pressure; 0-30 psi, is that high enough?

Turbo Boost; how high does it get; 60psi sounds a little high, and maybe 30 too low. I found a 35psi Dipricol.

Thanks for any input for this noob
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

RenegadeT,

The A pillar is probably the easiest to install, it will block a little vision but for most folks you won't notice it after a couple of hundred miles etc. We have been selling a lot of the above the rear view mirror mounts on the windshield, a little more effort to install but excellent visibility and totally out of the way otherwise etc.

We a fan of the DiPricol's as well as Auto Meter gauges, take a look at our site and you can see pics of them all to see which "looks" right for you and your truck. We also have a real nice installation wiring harness that makes installing gauges real easy as it includes all the little stuff first timers usually make three trips to the hardware store to get etc. Give us a call if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 02-18-2005, 12:35 PM

I have the same setup as Sgregory. I even painted the bulbs green. Looks great.
Unfortunately, my FP gauge read 0, so I'll be installing a LP this weekend.

Note: I found that with the A-pillar mount attached to the stock A-pillar, the assembly will not go into place without breaking off the retainer on the bottom.

I recommend you get moving on ATLEAST the FP gauge. Your truck will run pretty decent with 0 FP, but ain't good for the IP.

Good luck..........
Old 02-18-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm still hunting too....but have heard nothing but good about Isspro.

Mark's site kinda gave me an idea. Isspro (rainbow) on the column. Over mirror mount for boost and fuel. Isspro does have a 40 psi (manifold pressure) gauge. I also like the dakota digital fuel pressure gauge. ordinarily I'm not much for digital gauges, but fuel isn't something you monitor full time watching the gauge swing. You can even set it to flash if it goes outside your set point. This would tend to alert you to a fault without having to watch it. EGT is the only thing you rerally need to monitor closely. Boost is what boost is for the most part.

IMHO..the Dodge A-pillar is already too fat and obscures vision. Install does look pretty kewl there tho.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Sgregory
the time it took to find the leak in the Fuel pressure connection
Where did you have a leak? Something forget to be tightened?

Renegade,
My vote is for the Isspro's. I went 0-60 boost, 1500* rainbow pyro, and 0-30 FP with no isolator....did use a needle valve though. Almost 3 months and over 5k miles....no leaks anywhere, and smooth gauge needle action.
As far as the color...I think my gauges look like they came from DC with the truck. I got green bulbs from Wally World for cheap. The extra stuff on the a-pillar doesn't seem like much more than stock as far as vision goes imo.
I've got pics in my gallery.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:07 PM

I've got dash mount w/ isspro guages. Pics in gallery