24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Pump

Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump

I was at a campground this past weekend and I met a guy that had the twin to my truck. He asked if I (with 72,000 miles) had any problems &quot;YET&quot; with my Fuel Pump.. I said I didn't, but his truck with 79,000 miles on it did.. He also told me &quot;IF&quot; he had to replace it it would cost him $2,500.00?? (is that true), but it was still covered under the 100,000 mile warrenty??? He said Dodge from 1998 to 2001 have had problems with the fuel pumps, but would replace them if they failed under the 100,000 mile mark. Is this guy pullin my chain???? <br><br>Tommy :'(
Old 06-23-2003, 12:04 PM

Re:Fuel Pump

he's talking about the vp-44 injection pump...it's covered under the 100k mile warranty as long as the truck is stock (no wire splicing for fueling boxes)...you probably won't have a problem because your running stock (according to your sig.) mine blew up when i added my fuel box and the part was $1200 rebuilt and i installed, your year truck has less chance of blowing up than mine did...they were really bad in 98.5 &amp; 99....
Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM

they were really bad in 98.5 &amp; 99....
<br><br>D'OH!!!! &gt; &gt; Wait a minute... You mean the '99s are subject to this also?? Man, I was under the impression it was just the EARLY trucks, '98.5. <br><br>&quot;Piercing the wire&quot; was on my future BOMBs list, but I may have to rethink my BOMBing strategy now. [undecided]
Old 06-23-2003, 02:46 PM

D'OH!!!! Wait a minute... You mean the '99s are subject to this also?? Man, I was under the impression it was just the EARLY trucks, '98.5. <br><br>&quot;Piercing the wire&quot; was on my future BOMBs list, but I may have to rethink my BOMBing strategy now.
<br><br>just get it over with!! the sooner it dies the sooner you get a new pump and start enjoying life
Old 06-23-2003, 03:06 PM

just get it over with!! the sooner it dies the sooner you get a new pump and start enjoying life
<br><br>Rrrrrrriiiiight. I'll just add it to the list:<br><br>1) Tranny<br>2) 4&quot; Exhaust<br>3) Scotty II<br>4) Box<br>5) Injectors<br><br>...<br><br>6) A new VP44!!!! :'(<br><br>Awwww... crap.<br><br>
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 AM

My 98.5 is doing fine with an Edge EZ as far as the vp-44. Had to replace the lift pump at 45k. Now have 81k. IF the vp-44 goes, or I think it's going, the EZ and boost elbow will be instantly removed. No pin hole with the EZ. ;D<br><br>Stan
Old 06-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The EZ isn't usually a problem, it's the more aggressive Comp that changes the fueling via the pierced pump wire that leads to an early demise if the 98-99 VP injection pumps.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:11 PM

The EZ isn't usually a problem, it's the more aggressive Comp that changes the fueling via the pierced pump wire that leads to an early demise if the 98-99 VP injection pumps
<br>i can attest to that one first hand, new one good so far though :
Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 PM

I got a new (rebuilt) VP from peirs about a month ago

do the new rebuilt VP's last as long as the new pumps in like 01-02 trucks?

I still have the stock pump from my 02 which there was nothing wrong with
I was going to sell it but maybe I should keep it

some 99's had good pumps
my old truck (99) is still running strong at 100,000 miles and was stock for only the first 15,000 miles of its life
I never should have gotten rid of that one!!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you all have me very woried. ??? I bought mine with 54000 miles and now have 75000. I dont have any upgrades at all but I have no idea if the previous owner did or not. How do you check and see if the wire has been pierced. Where would it be? I would be very &gt; if it fails under warenty and i have to pay for it because of some previous owners actions.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:21 PM

[quote author=Agades link=board=4;threadid=16244;start=0#152957 date=1056500104]<br>do the new rebuilt VP's last as long as the new pumps in like 01-02 trucks?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just my personal opinion and observation of others who bought rebuilds...a new __________ (whatever) goes through the line, out the door and into the vehicle. A rebuild has been checked for the part that failed, had that part replaced, as well as anything else that seemed weak, and is then tested 3 or more times before being boxed and resold.<br>A better than new at a lower price. IMHO<br><br>Stan
Old 06-24-2003, 11:28 PM

bkrukow,<br><br>If it were mine (I bought my 98.5 used with 44k on it) and someone told me the warranty was void because of a pin hole I would go to the dealer it was purchased from, and if they told me the same thing, I'd point out that the truck is just like I bought it and that at the point of sale no disclaimer was made concerning the warranty.<br><br>Gives you two good legs to stand on.<br><br>Just my 2 cents.<br><br>Stan
Old 06-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=bkrukow link=board=4;threadid=16244;start=0#152980 date=1056503264]<br>Now you all have me very woried. ??? I bought mine with 54000 miles and now have 75000. I dont have any upgrades at all but I have no idea if the previous owner did or not. How do you check and see if the wire has been pierced. Where would it be? I would be very &gt; if it fails under warenty and i have to pay for it because of some previous owners actions.<br>[/quote]<br><br>If the VP pump is going to go, it usually happens within the first 20-30 minutes of running time after the wire was pierced.<br>And usually dies on deacceleration after WOT.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I just got my vp44 replaced yesterday at 70k. My lift pump failed at 53k. Been running an ez since 15k. Any correalation between them and the vp44 failure don't know. Just glad that both were covered under warranty and glad I hadn't gone with the comp. This time next year when my warranty is up due to mileage I will rethink that comp though.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:02 AM

Earlier this month, just a few days before I was to leave Colorado on this big trip, my truck started showing symptoms of something being &quot;wrong&quot;. Twice in one day, as I was pulling onto the interstate (no trailer or load) the truck literally fell on it's face and felt like it was running out of fuel... surge and die, surge and die. It was ok after I let off the smoke pedal and let it upshift. Then it didn't do it anymore. I took it to the dealer in Castlerock that first day, and both dealers in Colorodo Springs in the next couple of days. They all said lift pumps don't give warnings, they go out and you need to be towed. GRRRR!<br><br>I was about to leave town on a 6000+ mile trip with 35' 5er, and didn't want to get stranded! Also, last time I needed it towed (stoopid fuel guage sending unit!), the warranty did NOT cover towing the trailer.<br><br>A week later I woke up one morning at a rest stop in West Virginia, and the truck didn't want to fire right up. It did start after a long cranking period. After that, it started ok after a quick fuel stop, but same problem again anytime I stopped long enough to eat or sleep. When we got to my son's place in Virginia, we took the truck to dealer there in Hampton. They had to special-order the lift pump, and when it came in, the NEW pump was dead. We finally got the truck back at the dealer's &quot;closing time&quot; on Friday, and my wife went to start the truck with her key while I went in to take care of the paperwork and turn in the loaner truck. Guess what? SAME PROBLEM - long crank time! Of course, when the service rep came out a minute later it started right up. We hooked up the trailer and hit the road, about 12 hours behind schedule already.<br><br>Now we are in Valdosta, GA. Took it to a dealer here on Friday and explained what has happened. They scheduled it in for Monday morning; they suspected that the other dealer had missed or dropped the o-rings and it was sucking air.<br>My wife took it in, expecting a 30-minute job. Oh well. 6 hours later she comes back, says they ordered a new injection pump, and it will be here Wednesday.<br><br>84,000+ miles on the 100k warranty - and I guess I won't have to worry about lift pump or injection pump for a long time now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump