24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel boss mechanical LP pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel boss mechanical LP pump

So my electrical in the tank pump from the dodge house is only giving about 8 psi on start up and 4-5 while idling badly. The idling problem is another thread but I am going to order a Fuel Boss mechanical pump and was wondering if anyone out there that had installed one knows--

Think I can/should leave the fuel pump in the tank, meaning i wouldn't have to drop it, right?
Does it comes with a big line kit?
If it even needs one?
Will the mechanical fuel gauge banjo bolt will work with it or if i will need a T the come of the fuel line for it?
Is a prefilter for the fuel a must or worth it?
Is the stock separator/filter enough for the increased flow?
How much work or time should i expect to install?

Going to order it from DTR, they seem to have the best price out there.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen this:
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/im...all-Manual.pdf

I don't think you want to leave the intank pump but you still need an electric lift pump. I would assume that you would want to go with the big line since the banjo bolts are restrictive but the pictures do not show it that way.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Me and a few other guys are running it. I still have my LP in the stock location, and that is how the fuel boss is designed. Not saying it can't be done with an intank setup, but might require ya to stray away from the intrsructions a little and improvise. That being said, I put mine in in prolly about 3 hours, and that was taking my time and clamping the lines to the frame, and covering it all in wire loom tubing. It's a fairly straightforward setup.

Read the link above, its very helpful. Also, you can call Glacier and talk to them, I had a minor issue with mine after install and called them up and they knew exactly the problem, and the guy was very kind and helpful with it.

Unless you have more power mods than the none you have listed in your sig, I'd say dont bother with the big line kit. I have an edge juice, along with 100hp sticks, and have never seen it drop below 15psi, and it has a releif valve set at 20 psi to limit pressures. If I remember correectly (again, check the manual) it ties in right before the stock located fuel filter, so the banjo bolt is not even an issue.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks for that link, I couldn't find the installation instructions.

What do you think about the airdog 100 or 150?

For the same price it seems to remove air, vapor, water and particles from the fuel. It also has the option of w the intank fuel pump. I love the idea of a mechanical pump but having had bad diesel in the past I am leaning toward the airdog.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:03 AM

I'm on my second airdog, while I like it should it ever go again, I will go with a mechanical setup. no matter what an electric pump can fail. all I have ever heard about the mech set ups is good some report not even having an electric back up, as the mech pump picks up the fuel even after changing the fuel filter.

cant say I buy into all the hype about removing air from the fuel, it might be true but I never seen anything noticable in how my truck responded before or after the pump instal
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 AM

I have the fuel boss system along with the dual filter system I got from vulcan performance, seperates the water and air too. I also purchased a big line kit that goes from the stock fuel filter to the VP since all the other lines were new too.