24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

free spin hub kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question free spin hub kits

Has anyone changed over there front hubs to the free spin unit. I am considering buying a dynatrac hub kit for my 2001. I would like to get a little feedback about this conversion to see it is something I want to do. Any advice would be a great help. Thanks for your input Garry.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want one, look at ems, and solid as well
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM

I did it last spring, went with the EMS kit. I didn't put it on my self becuase I was switching jobs and states so I cant speak for the ease of installation, but I didnt hear any big complaints from the mechanic. I can't honestly say that it helped mileage much, possibly 1 mpg, but its not enough to be out of the margin of error on everything else. All in all I love them,especially low-low 2wd for backing trailers and such. Besides I just believe that 4wd drives pickups should have a solid front end and locking hubs. Probably have about 5000 miles on kit, no problems so far, other than when you have to take off stock rims, you have to give them a little love tap with a sledge, they are tight on the hub.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM

I added the SolidAxle to my 3rd Gen and have been happy with it. I have seen similar gains of around 1-1.5mpg. Mpg was only 1 of my reasons to change... Easy bearing replacement in the future... Less wear and tear on the front end parts.. The truck is paid for and I plan on drving this until it will not drive anymore. I do not think this kind of repair/replacement would ever pay for itself if you only keep a truck for a few years. The truck seems to drive smoother in regard to the steering wheel feedback and must be from losing all the load of the front axle components.

I chose the SolidAxle because the Hub came completely assembled(wheel studs installed and bearings already greased up.) and included the axle u-joint already attached to the stub shaft. I had done lots of reading and heard others talking about having to remove the wheel studs from the old parts or buying new ones and then trying to hammer them into the new hubs...

I have a few thousand on the hubs and am glad I did this.

Good Luck on your decision...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM

What kind of U-joints is coming with the Solid Spyn-tec kit?
I think i´ve read it would be Spicer U-joints, but is it stock replacement or a stronger joint? Spicer part#?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 AM

Obben.. I am not sure what they were.. They came assembled and had no part numbers listed..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Ok. were they cast or forged?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the EMS kit about 30k ago.... I love it... About 1 mpg improvement, but the satisfaction of knowing I have 4 bearings to worry about and not some cheezy unit hub bearing is worth the price... I also went with the 35 spline outers, easy installation... Now I just need some better brakes and I;ll be golden!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

glad i ran across this thread.....i'm really want'n to do the same thing sometime in the next yr or so...i want to get the whol setup, outer shafts and inners too....prob from dynatrac...

that and run a set of 19.5" wheels...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
JAX

I have often wondered about this conversion. Why couldn't we just swap the knuckles out and have basically the same set up as 1st gen Dana 60s?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JAX
I have often wondered about this conversion. Why couldn't we just swap the knuckles out and have basically the same set up as 1st gen Dana 60s?

Because the old style knuckles wont fit on the newer style front ends.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Personally I don't see the free spin kits as a justified modification. I know the unit bearings are a PITA to replace, have done plenty of them. However I prefer the simplicity of a non-lockout front end. No hassle with lockouts, it works when you need it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by JAX
correct me if i'm wrong....but also because of the ABS crap too....
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot_Auto
Personally I don't see the free spin kits as a justified modification. I know the unit bearings are a PITA to replace, have done plenty of them. However I prefer the simplicity of a non-lockout front end. No hassle with lockouts, it works when you need it.
i'm want'n to do it mainly cause i've always had manual hubs on my trucks...and i hate the dodge hub junk design....with the vacum operated mess...and i don't like having my whole front end turning all the dang time...i'd rather replace parts on the rear 10 times before i have to worry about the front end..... but this is my .02 on the matter...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM

If properly maintained the front u-joints and moving parts will last a long time. As for the CAD systems of the 80's trucks, well I've never owned one. I have plenty of 70's full-time 4x4 trucks that I love. Put it in 4-hi and drive. No getting out. So yes I guess its what your used to.

I think $1200 can be better spend somewhere else. The hub design is certainly not a major weak point in these trucks.

Quick Reply: free spin hub kits