24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Falling on it's face

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falling on it's face

Got my truck on the interstate today. Once it reaches 70mph it starts slobbering all over itself. It doesn't die and keeps running just doesn't accelerate. It seems that 70MPH is the fuel cutoff or something, like it is fuel starved maybe. I have never replaced the lift pump and have 70,000 on the clock. I got my gauges installed about a month ago and don't notice a difference in pressure from when I first got them installed. It is kinda low though about 9psi at idle and at 5psi WOT, but has been that low since I installed the gauges and haven't had this problem before. Should it be stumbbling with the same pressure? Could it be something other than my fuel pump?

Also do all 2002 models have the 100,000 warranty so this will be covered?
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mechanical FP guage?

Or do you have an isolator/sender in there that could be fudging the readings?

phox
Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 PM

No isolator, I did my research on that subject on this site before installing. I used a needle valve and hydraulic hose straight to the mechanical gauge.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM

sounds like bad lift pump, should be under warranty still.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 PM

OK, got her home taday and checked codes with my superchips reader. I got the dreaded 0216, which is bad injection pump correct? I have looked through my warranty paperwork and all I can find is a 7/70,000 powertrain that I signed. I have no paperwork for a 100,000 mile warranty. Does anyone know if it will still be covered under some mysterious 100,000 mile warranty of which I have no paperwork for. I just went over 70,000 too. Please Help.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

get a fuel pressure reading , hopefully while toolin down the road and see what presure if any you are getting at the trouble spot, might be lucky, and just have a bad push pump.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:48 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is amazing.
Isn't this like the Third or FOURTH 0216 code in the last two days here??

I was just informed that I am still covered (01.5 SO) on the 100K mile Cummins warranty. What a relief, I was a very sad camper for about 10 minutes after I pulled my codes today.
SAME EXACT symptoms.
HOdiesel80, Good Luck. see here:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=70010
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Yes, I'm still reading the same fuel pressure at the "trouble spot" as before and while not in the "trouble spot". It's not much but doesn't go lower than 5psi at WOT. The thing that gets me is why does it only do it at 70mph . I was hoping someone could tell me the symptoms between the two (lift pump and VP44) going bad. It is a VERY noticible stumble around 70mph I let off the go pedal and push it back and she's good till I hit around 70 again. I'm praying its just the LP because I don't know if I'm covered in the 100,000 warranty as stated before.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Cummins engines have a 100,000 mile warranty.

The Cummins sold in Dodge trucks have the warranty handled by Dodge though, not Cummins.
Part of the deal with Cummins is that Dodge has to give the same 100K warranty that Cummins does on all other engines.

There is no deductible on this warranty, unlike your 7/70K which has a deductable after so many years/miles.

The only thing working against you is the modifications you have on the truck/engine.

Is the Superchips a physical box, or just the programming?

If it pierces the wire, you're screwed, unless you have a very, very, very friendly dealership.

I don't want to suggest lying, but remove/unprogram everything before taking it in.

Lately, it seems the dreaded 0216 hasn't meant the death of the VP44.
If the lift pump hiccups, flow of fuel stops just enough to throw the timing off for just a second or two, enough to throw the code, but not cause permanent damage.

The fact that you're seeing 5psi all the time, even when it's happening is suspect.
I'd verify my guage with another guage.

phox
Old 06-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Wow, thanks Phox! What a relief. I will unprogram my superchips tomorrow and take it to the dealer . It's the one that you plug into the diagnostic reader so I should have no issues. THanks again
Old 06-09-2005, 02:55 PM

OK, today I got my truck ready to go to the dealer. Cleared my "Tow Safe" program with my superchips programmer. I took it for a drive and tested it and everything is fine now. It doesn't stumble anymore at all. I then read the DTC's with the superchips and it said none were present. I didn't clear the codes when I reprogrammed it back to stock. Can anyone explain this. If I didn't clear the codes why doesn't it show up anymore? Also why isn't it stumbling like it was yesterday? I still have FP, but it has dropped about 1 psi at idle. How do you tell the difference between a bad lift pump and a bad VP44? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Have you tried pulling the codes by turning the key to the "on" position 3 times and reading what is in the pcu and ecu? The superchips won't pull all of the codes, it cannot read the pcu.

Casey
Old 06-09-2005, 03:13 PM

No, I haven't tried that, I was unaware I could on my 02. Just turn the key switch from "off" to "on" positions three times and the third leav in in the "on" position?????
Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by HOdiesel80
No, I haven't tried that, I was unaware I could on my 02. Just turn the key switch from "off" to "on" positions three times and the third leav in in the "on" position?????
That should do it. It will display on the odometer, first the pcu codes if any then the ecu codes it will state 'done' when finished.

Casey
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM

One more thing, you can clear he ecu (ecm) codes with the superchip tuner, to clear the cpu, disconnect your batteries for about 10 minutes. They should be cleared after you reconnect the batts. Check with the key on/off three time.

Casey

Quick Reply: Falling on it's face