24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exhaust system

Well after 19 years my rig just failed inspection. The exhaust was rotting out after the muffler.
I figured OK that's a good run for a set of pipes and went over to the local muffler shop to see what a new set would be.
$1200
And that was just for stock 3" aluminized.
Geno's only has the muffler elimination kits. So I looked around and my Summit account got me a Diamond Eye 4" S/S turbo back with muffler for less than a quarter of that price.
It looks like a good system and the general reviews were good. I should have it in hand by tomorrow so I'll see. It looks like with the exception of the over the axle piece and the down tube from the turbo everything is just straight pipes.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
And for $1200 the pipes are not mandrel bent.

I bought a 4" Magnaflow aluminized, mandrel bent system with a straight flow stainless muffler for ~$225 a few years back. Had it installed at a local shop for an hour's labor. Has a nice sound without being obnoxious. Heck of a deal for a good system.

$1200...
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM

All done. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Had to cut it to get past the down pipe

This is why I failed inspection

New system minus the muffler.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM

I spent three days spraying the two bolts at the turbo elbow with penetrating oil. It must of worked because they came out pretty easily. Just had to use every ratchet extension I had to reach them.
It took more time fiddling with two pipes that go over the axle, lining them up to not hit the spare, come out about right and kind of match up to the hangers. If I was to make any bad comments on the Diamond Eye system it is that the installation instructions were thin to non existent and since it is a universal length there were some extra hangers and no real description on which ones went where. The two that hang the tail pipe piece weren't both possible to put on. I have to assume that they were set to use whichever worked.
Otherwise everything went in well and tucked up neatly. I used some engine enamel to black out the tail pipe as long as it was on the ground.

Tucked up out of sight

Blacked out on looking fairly stock

In all I would recommend they system. $334 from Summit racing, shipped and received in 3 days, installed in ~2 hrs in the driveway and a really good sound.
Quiet at idle, roars when I put my foot in it, and the turbo sounds like it spins up faster than the 3" system allowed.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (09-11-2017)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My apologies for bringing back an old thread; but I'm in the market for an exhaust system. Now that you've had this for awhile, what do you think?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
IMO, regardless of what you buy, think about a resonator or at least a good muffler.
Stainless systems will crack, but for us with road salt the mild steel ones would have rusted away before the stainless stuff cracked.