24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Disappointed with dealer, no 3cyl. high idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 2000, I installed a a/c solenoid for a high idle and it worked great when it was too warm for the parameters to be met. Worked good in summer too for a/c. PM me if anyone wants info about what I did.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
...with the grid heaters warming the initial intake air charge up, your IAT is always going to be somewhat warmer than the ambient temperature.
Interesting point. I wonder how much difference this makes?
With the Pulse Controller on my Adrenaline I can, and do, read out IAT.
I'll have to keep an eye on that when first starting up... and see what the grid heaters do to the internal air temp.
Unfortunately, for test purposes, we have not yet been cold enough to get into grid heater activity at start up.

Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
Lots of good points. I am pretty sure all the conditions are being met, it may just be a temp sensing issue.
FWIW - my experience at 100,000 miles, with fair amount of added fueling, the IAT sensors get pretty cruded up. If you have a 99 and you've never cleaned or replaced it.... might be worth doing. I have no idea how much soot etc. it takes to throw off the IAT sensor, but my guess is, not a lot?

RJ
Old 11-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My high idle kicks on around 40 degrees and colder,takes about 3 minutes after a cold start. If I use the block heater and its below 0,my high idle still kicks in.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I'll have to keep an eye on that when first starting up... and see what the grid heaters do to the internal air temp.
Unfortunately, for test purposes, we have not yet been cold enough to get into grid heater activity at start up.
I would assume it would make a marginal difference on initial startup. Especially after you let them cycle. Then as they are kicking in, it should be warming in the intake charge up somewhat.

My IAT must be reading low then, because my grids have already kicked in a few mornings when it's been in the 50s down to the high 40s. Maybe that explains why my high idle will kick in closer to 32* than I would expect.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:14 PM

My Dealer screwed up the Flash as well! I wired in a manual High Idle Kicker. when I checked the sensors with my Scangauge II all the conditions were being met, but........No Hi Idle. Have to bring it back to them.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM

do they all come with high idle? if so mine hasnt done it. would be nice to have considering its usually 30 below up here
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1dumrednek
do they all come with high idle? if so mine hasnt done it. would be nice to have considering its usually 30 below up here
No - you have to go to the dealer to enable it (that is if you can find a dealer that actually knows how) or buy/borrow a SMARTY.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This one seved me well for many years.

I "tested" a SMARTY at a diesel get together a few years back, now I have the 3 cyl, and High Idle.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM

FWIW - my experience at 100,000 miles, with fair amount of added fueling, the IAT sensors get pretty cruded up. If you have a 99 and you've never cleaned or replaced it.... might be worth doing. I have no idea how much soot etc. it takes to throw off the IAT sensor, but my guess is, not a lot?

RJ
Do the '03 have the IAT sensor?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Must have, since they still use the grid heaters.... but never actually looked?
On 2nd Gens, it driver side, 3/4 back on the head/Air Plenum. Sticks out horizontally.

EDIT: 'Retirednak' - Must be an Automatic to be getting some computer controlled high idle.
Did a search. 03's have high idle in the cruise control, but needs to be enabled by dealer.
Press 'Set' button to get 1000 rpm
press 'Accel' to get 1500 rpm
Some good additional info here .....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&postcount=38

Good Luck

RJ
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

what does the 3 cyl idle do?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 AM

what does the 3 cyl idle do?
"...if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters for high speed idle are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change in engine sound which is normal.
This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and faster cab heating."

Let us know where you are. Someone with a Smarty may live nearby and will let you test it.
High idle stays with your CTD, after you return Smarty .... present from Marco (Smarty inventor) for trying his product!

RJ
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM

i live in saskatchewan, canada. about 2 1/2 hours north of saskatoon
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
...The main thing to keep in mind is that with the grid heaters warming the initial intake air charge up, your IAT is always going to be somewhat warmer than the ambient temperature.
Finally remembered to check IAT at Startup... when Grid Heaters cycle in!
Saw 15* increase from the grid heaters....on a 30* day. Would this # vary with colder outside temps? Not sure.
Also, this was on a 'plugged in' CTD. Will that fact affect the difference? Can't reason that one out either.....
until after I've had my coffee!

i live in saskatchewan, canada. about 2 1/2 hours north of saskatoon
WOW! May or may not find a Smarty up there?? Flew a float plane into Price Albert National Park once, but you must be way north of there....no?
I'd start a new thread asking for any Smarty in your area. Never know?
Might cost you a beer... or a lunch.... but it would be worth it!

RJ
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally remembered to check IAT at Startup... when Grid Heaters cycle in!
Saw 15* increase from the grid heaters....on a 30* day. Would this # vary with colder outside temps? Not sure.
Also, this was on a 'plugged in' CTD. Will that fact affect the difference? Can't reason that one out either.....
until after I've had my coffee!
What was your IAT reading compared to ambient temperature when you had it plugged in?

Quick Reply: Disappointed with dealer, no 3cyl. high idle