24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

died driving down the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
died driving down the road

As the title says I was driving down the road and the engine just died. The truck has 3/4 tank of fuel. I checked for error codes and none are showing. I have a quadzilla box in it . No previous problems with starting. Original IP and LP in it at 75,000 miles. The tach shows the engine spinning as I turn it over. I guess the no error code kinda has me wondering where to start. First thought was IP but not so sure now.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM

what fuel pressure do you have??
Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I can't tell you ... no fuel pressure gauge
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I guess you know what you have to do first huh
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 PM

crack the #3 injector line and make sure fuel is getting motor.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've just gone through the same thing. My sending unit was reading 1/4 tank full at the time and I simply ran out of fuel. Take the fuel filler cap off, have someone stand there with their ear to the filler tube and get someone to tap on the tank with a screwdriver handle or something. You will hear if it's empty.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by littlebuddie
I've just gone through the same thing. My sending unit was reading 1/4 tank full at the time and I simply ran out of fuel. Take the fuel filler cap off, have someone stand there with their ear to the filler tube and get someone to tap on the tank with a screwdriver handle or something. You will hear if it's empty.
I failed to say when it died that I coasted up to a fuel pump. I put 20 gallons in tank at that time. I also bled the filter and it did have fuel in it.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by jiMMyCTD
My understanding is I need to crack 3 lines and spin it over.?. I should get a pressurized spray out of all 3 lines. Sound right to ya'll ? I have disconnected the quad box to see if maybe it failed and no joy. One question I do have is after spinning the engine I can hear the lift pump running. It is not a steady tone but changes. I don't know if this is normal as I have never spun it over before and it didn't start first try. I would much rather think the lift pump failed and didn't kill the IP in the process. Just had too much work today to do much more than check the quad box and fuse today.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM

did you try to blead the infection pump?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by huntman509
did you try to blead the infection pump?
I am guessing to do this at the injection lines ? Or at the banjo fitting from the filter ?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jiMMyCTD
This is strange. I cracked # 3 and #1 . I got a little fuel from #1 but almost nil from #3. I tightened up #1 and spun it again and it started trying to fire. I tightened #3 back up and it started. So I have it running again now. Does this mean the IP is safe for now ? I still get no codes showing .I had right at a quarter of a tank of fuel showing when it died. After adding fuel I now show 3/4 of a tank.
lemme guess here .... get a fuel pressure gauge and see what my actual fuel pressure is? So what is normal ? If it is normal ,check fuel tank sending unit .

When the engine died it just died. No stutter or miss.... just like i turned the key off. It had been running fine up to that point. No previous engine trouble such as hard starting or dead pedal.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM

If it died at 1/4 tank its possible your fuel sender is wrong, I'd carry a spare can of fuel just incase, until you fiqure out if its running out at 1/4

oh and GET a FUEL pressure gauge PDQ
Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought dodge took care of the tank level gauges, jeeeeeeeesus. mine said empty when it was full.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by nickg
If it died at 1/4 tank its possible your fuel sender is wrong, I'd carry a spare can of fuel just incase, until you fiqure out if its running out at 1/4

oh and GET a FUEL pressure gauge PDQ
Fuel pressure gauge will be on it before it leaves the yard. I live out in the country and a wrecker HAD to be used to get it home due to the hills. I can do without that bill again.
What is normal PSI at idle?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck cut out like yours did. I was suffering from "1/4 tank syndrome" and subsequently I drained the tank dry. I had the same difficulty bleeding the lines as you did and bled out enough air from the lines to fill a blimp, then had to crack open 4 injectors and crank several times before fuel would spit out and start. I hope that a faulty sending unit is all that is wrong with your truck, it's a very common complaint. Fuel pressure should be, and this varies depending on who you talk to, should be around 13 psi at idle (no less than 10), 5-7 psi cranking and no less than 7psi at Wide Open Throttle. For the time being, I have a nice 30 psi glycerin-filled pressure gauge permanently mounted on my fuel filter housing but it doesn't help me with information when I am sitting in the cab. Oh well, I'll get one in the cab soon...........thinking of installing it in the little dash cubby hole that's useless except for holding a pack of chewing gum.

Quick Reply: died driving down the road