24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did I melt a piston???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Did I melt a piston???

if you can get weight and zip code it's coming from, we may be able to get you a better rate on one of our carriers, but doesn't cummins run THEIR OWN trucks in and out of the Tarrant shop. I'd tell them to put it on their truck and send to Tarrant City for the price you gotta pay, (buncha crooks) All I'll charge is a hot cup of coffee, or better yet, I'll bring some REAL coffee from Brazil, 1 cup is good for 10 hours. I've still got 14, 1 kilo boxes I can't give away. My wife thought she was having a heart attack, but found out it was the coffee, so we had to switch back to unleaded that we get here . If anyone has ever been in the hospital and gotten a pill, in that little 1" sissy cup, THAT is a COFFEE cup in Brazil, my last trip, I took a REAL coffee cup, after being awake all day, flying all night, arrived in Sao Paulo at 9:00 a.m., went to the plant, and pulled out MY coffee cup, filled er up and was good to go until 8:00 that night, after that, it was LIGHTS OUT. They woke me up in my room banging on the door at 8:30, saying "let's go, the night is young". I put a kilo in my computer bag for the way home (night flight) and ALL the stewardes was my best buddy
Or pm me your address, the coffee is free, but I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE if you stay awake for days on end, but it is GOOD, IF brewed correctly
Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok an update. I drew a blank from Cummins on the engine deal. The crank is perfect, even the rod bearing is fine. There were no plastic jets in the pan. The piston is well scuffed, everyting else is great. I have an appointment to have the cylinder bored in the truck on Tuesday. Had to cancel a couple of appointments due to rain, hopefully it will not be raining Tuesday. I have to pull number two piston for the bore job as I was advised. The plan is to have it bored to the next oversize, they said that they can go .020, .040, or sleeve it to standard. It is $200 for a bore and $350 for the sleeve job.

What I have in mind is going with the .020 bore and if that does not clean up I will have the sleeve put in. How about it guru's Am I going right? I can see no reason to install new rod bearing except for the two pulled down.

I am also real satisfied with the condition of the engine with the heavy work that I do. I change Delo 400 at 7000 miles, usually a bit more and all looks great. I can see no reason to increase the frequency of changes or the oil. Cummins was also satisfied with the maintainence. Their reps said that it is good. I was impressed at how clean the engine is. There is some carbon above the top ring.

How foolish I was to allow this to happen, the engine is in great shape.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Banned

like I said b4 make sure you get the correct grade of slug but in retrospect from a therum pt of view...being that hole is going to be bigger mabe go 1 grade lower to compensate for more aera..that way your.comp ballance might be close.(I do not have the math to be able to do this but someelse might)
The other thing to do is pull the little allen bolts out of the crank sensor while your there clean out the threads with your favorit spray brake cleaner then reinstall with loctite stud and bng. mnt. or sleeve retainer (as these have a big habit of being loose)
I would not tuch the mains like I said B4 as you can desterb the jets and shear thir nail heads off and cause all kinds of havic.....PM if this is not clear. On your new slug I would try to match the weight (Isupect the new one will be heaver so that would be ez
Old 12-12-2003, 06:12 PM

After seeing the condition of the bearings, I see no reason to replace any that are not disturbed for other reasons. So it will get the two rod bearings is all.

Thumper, did you ever come up with an answer on the direction of the piston? Or is it interchangable. Also the piston has 6154 stamped on the top, is that the grade number?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned

there is no front and rear on the isb piston (they mounted the pin on the c.L.)
I just remembered you can not buy graded OS Pistons one size fits all....
Makes ya wonder why they go thrue all that work for a stock piston and you go to OS and they do not care!!!!!
I spent most of one day on the phone with cummins dealers here to the east coat and that was there ans. You can go O.S. but there is no grades
PS put your rod in the corect way I can go look in the book if you don't have one(if Irember right the nu. go to the oil cooler side of the eng. also use new head bolts.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:30 AM

Glad to hear things are not real bad. I know this is a lot of work and lost income for you, but, could be a heck of alot worse. Thanks for posting all of the things you have discovered and checked out.

I am still wondering what was the cause of the piston to try and sieze. I understand your theory of the coolant going down and number one not being cooled. My question is, why did the coolant go down? I assume you check it (not trying to say you neglected anything). So what could cause the coolant level to drop? Do you have a leak in your cooling system? Could a failed head gasket cause the coolant to go down in a short period of time?

I fully expected to hear that the plastic nozzle let go and this was the cause of your problem, but obviously it is not. Try to find out why coolant level dropped. Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-15-2003, 01:14 PM

The head gasket appears to have been leaking at the front of the block. That is the only thing that I have found. The leak would have been minor. As I said in the post, the bottle was empty when I pulled it off.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Update on the engine. The hole cleaned up at .020, both holes honed, looks good. NOw to get the parts and it will rain tomorrow. Cummins says that they have to order the piston so a couple of days and it will start to go together. Now if the weather will cooperate
Old 12-16-2003, 04:16 PM
DPG

Haulin', Let's hope that the weather cooperates. Is your arm doing OK?

DeWain
Old 12-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Banned

Dont forget rod bolts too!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:50 PM

& nothing worse than finding an extra piston ring left over....

HID, I wish I was closer to give you a hand.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:34 PM

[quote author=bulabula link=board=13;threadid=22814;start=30#msg225172 date=1071687030]
& nothing worse than finding an extra piston ring left over....

HID, I wish I was closer to give you a hand.
[/quote]

Well hey, I'll just load it up on the car hauler and bring it up..... Oh yeah, trucks broke, can't do that, oh well, thanks anyway
Old 12-17-2003, 09:03 PM

Dixie, don't say things like that, if you got a car hauler, I got a truck, and TOO MUCH work that's about to drive me crazy. Maybe I could tell momma I'm going to get a pack of cigs and be back in a week or so, she's already shot down the 2 week all exspenses paid on the beach in Sao Paulo Brazil in Feb. :'( :'( :'( Our supplier of pumps has begged us to come down for a vacation at his "beach house", 5 bedroom condo on the ocean with a 10th floor view of the ocean. We where there 2 years ago and MAN whata WOODY in the morning sitting out on the deck, but to go from our temp to 98-99* and then back to ours, temp shock from you know where
Old 12-17-2003, 09:12 PM

[quote author=DPG link=board=13;threadid=22814;start=30#msg224618 date=1071612981]

DeWain
[/quote]

Well there is no pain particularly, but the bruising is worse. Black and blue from my elboe to the hand and a bump on the wrist. Am trying to get to the doctor for other reasons and have him look at it. I am sure its just bruised real good, not enough hurt for much more. Hey, I ain't that tough
Old 12-19-2003, 02:01 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=4;threadid=22814;start=30#msg225517 date=1071717131]
[quote author=DPG link=board=13;threadid=22814;start=30#msg224618 date=1071612981]

DeWain
[/quote]

Well there is no pain particularly, but the bruising is worse. Black and blue from my elboe to the hand and a bump on the wrist. Am trying to get to the doctor for other reasons and have him look at it. I am sure its just bruised real good, not enough hurt for much more. Hey, I ain't that tough
[/quote]

Arm is fine, just bruised bad. Doctor said it probably broke a blood vessel causing the extreme bruising, had it xrayed. Now to get the darn truck running.

Quick Reply: Did I melt a piston???