24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

delayed starting? help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delayed starting? help

hey guys,

I need help
My truck has delyaed starting it turns and turn then starts probably a total of about 5 - 7 seconds it always used to just kick right over?
whats up?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First question would be, how's the fuel pressure? How's the fuel pressure on start up? I'm having a similar problem with mine, as it seem the fuel is leaking back into the tank and the fuel pump takes a while to start drawing fuel into the system. This causes a long pull on the starter, and 0 fuel pressure for more seconds than I like.

Chris
Old 07-26-2005, 08:40 PM

i didnt hook up a fuel pressure guage yet. how else could i tell
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there is a test port on the banjo bolt going into the injector pump. You could hook up a test gauge there, or you could screw out/push in, the valve core to see if any fuel squirts out. Be prepared to get some No. 2 on you. When you bump the starter the fuel pump will run for about 30 seconds, which should give you enough time to get to the test port and push the valve core in. This will let you know if the fuel pump is pumping anything, but will not tell you the true pressure.
Please be advised, if you tap into the fuel system, even for testing, and the lift pump is bad, the truck may not start again until you have replaced the lift pump. This is because the VP44 has a little bit of suction, enough that many trucks run with a bad fuel pump until it is noticed, or cooks the VP44. Once you break the system open to test fuel pressure, it breaks the vacuum and the VP44 will no longer suck the necessary fuel for the engine to run.
Anytihng less than 8 psi, at idle or WOT, means it's time for replacement. If that's the case, do yourself a favor and get a FASS or FASS II (cheaper).

Chris
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM

Have you replaced the stock batteries yet? Mine was doing the same...had enough power to turn it over & over, but just wouldn't fire right away...put in new batteries and was like new...just bump the starter and go...I'd check that after you check the fuel system...