24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

De-fueling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-fueling?

On two occasions over the coarse of a week I've have had the truck just seem to loose power as if it was being starved of fuel. As this was happening I let off the accelerator for a moment and got back on it and everything was back to normal. The truck was empty both times. My mileage is on or above average. The truck was at operating temperatures. I adjusted the bands and switched to Amsoil at 38K. Fuel filter was changed 3k ago. I don't know what this could be. No codes were set. Any ideas?

Thanks

Current milage: 43K...... still bone stock.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift pump on it's way out.?

I'm guessing you don't have a fuel pressure guage,
if you did you'd probably see it dropping almost to zero at WOT.

Get a pressure guage on there, permanent or temporary and see what's going on with it.

Then either take it to the dealer, it's covered under the 7/100,000,
or if you don't like dealers,
buy one yourself from Cummins and install yourself.

phox
Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be the APPS going bad? Take a look at HERE or do a search on APPS to see if they mention any symptoms like yours.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:42 AM

Funny, this just happened to me too. I was on the highway and I pressed the fuel pedal. The truck didn't want to accelerate. I backed out of it and tried again same deal. I turned the comp off and on, then pressed the pedal and it seemed better. I have noticed that the truck isn't accelerating consistantly now. Sometimes is seems great, then it will seem like I have to press the pedal harder to get the truck rolling down the road. I thought maybe it was in my head. Mileage is the same. The truck idles fine. Fuel pressure is good 10 psi on the highway, 13 at idle. All the gauges show everything is within range. I can't say it for sure because I never really studied the gauge on the highway...but it seems like the egt is about 50-100 degrees hotter. It is still only at about 800 on the highway, but I don't remember it being that high before. I feel like it was around 6-700 on the highway before this happened.

Today I am adjusting the apps...I'd be interested in hearing if anyone had this happen before and what they found.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:57 AM

OK.... I cleaned the AIT sensor while I was waiting to hook the batteries up to reset the apps. Once I hooked the battery back up I checked the codes and I got a P-1693 on the PCU then a code of P-0216 on the ECU. I started the truck and let it run for a minute. I shut the truck off and rechecked the codes. The P-1693 reset itself and there were no codes on the PCU. The P-0216 code remained though...

Any help??
Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Well I hate to tell you, but P-0216 means "Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure." This more than likely means that your VP44 is headed south, way south, 6 feet under south. P-1693 is a companion code, just meaning that another code is present. I'm guessing your still under warrenty (?), so I'd take her to the dealer and have them replace the expensive fp. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 AM

P0216------ Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure
I don't think that code will reset itself. That is the VP-44 death code. I would go to Advanced Auto or Auto Zone and have the codes cleared if you don't have something to do it yourself. You will want to watch that real close your VP could be on it's way out.
Good Luck
Old 05-06-2004, 11:35 AM

Warranty....good question. I'm not sure how the dealer is going to handle the mods made to the truck. Especially the blue chip cover and edge comp. I just took it for a test drive and I don't think I helped it. It starts and idles fine, but it doesn't feel like I'm opening up when the fuel pedal is hit. I would say it is worse now that I cleaned the AIT and adjusted the apps.

Questions:

If they don't cover it under warranty what can I expect to pay for the change?
Is there anything that can throw the P-0216 code besides the pump, that I should check?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:20 PM

None that I've heard of. That is a pump code. I would check all the connections that the box makes to the system be sure they are clean and tight. Unplug each one and reconnect, this is a long shot. Under most conditions that code is a bad one to have. Awhile back I was stacking the EZ and the Superchips and got that code but I think it was because the stacked boxes tried to advance the timing too much. Since I removed the Superchips several months ago I haven't seen the code again. But that doesn’t mean it won’t come back.
If you have to replace a pump out of your pocket I would call Piers Diesel. www.piersdiesel.com I heard they have a super VP-44. I think Battering Ram was talking about one a couple of months ago. Do a search on super VP44. If you are going to have to buy one you might as well get the better-updated one.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Update

Update- The same night I reset the APPS I checked for codes and got the dreaded 0216 code. It's been at the dealer since. They are supposed to be finished diagnosing it today. See what I get for leaving it stock!@#?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

Be glad you left it stock. Otherwise you could have been paying for the $1200 injector pump yourself instead of Dodge.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:25 AM

I've been driving with the comp off for the last two days and I have to say other than not having the extra ponies the truck has been running fine. I have been suspecting that something wasn't right with the comp. I have noticed that if I tried to use setting 5x5 there wasn't the jump in power that it used to have. I also would expect to see a smoke at that setting and there hasn't been in a while.

Can the comp cause the error code P-0216? Everything seems normal now and I'm getting close to 20mpg averaged highway and around town driving. If the code is legit how long can I expect the pump to last and will it hurt it to drive it?
Old 05-08-2004, 04:11 PM

The same thing happened to me on thurs. I was just cruising along and went accelerate and nothing, let up on throttle and it took of again. It did this several times and now I have codes pcu 1693 and ecu 0216. My dealer says you can't go by the ignition readout of codes. He says it could be something besides lift pump or injection pump. I doubt it after reading all the lift pump failures. My truck has 91000 mi. on it so my warranty is just about up. I really don't care for our local dealer, so any input as to what I should ask or look for would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-08-2004, 05:07 PM

I would be going to a different dealer, quickly.

Matt
Old 05-10-2004, 07:59 PM

Today I took my truck in for the codes p1693 and p0216 and my dealer said you can't go by the codes that you get from the ignition switch. He said there is nothing wrong with lift or injector pump but said he changed my fuel filter and checked for codes, but did not find any. so it could have been the fuel filter.($99.63)
He did mention that I should have my tranny checked because it really seems to snap from gear to gear.( auto suncoast tranny and triple lock converter) He doesn't have a clue! do you think I should still be leary of the lift pump and injector pump.I don't like this guy's opinion at all.(Bad tranny,) LOL What a idiot. Thanks for any replies

Quick Reply: De-fueling?