24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CUMMINS Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks John. I am supposed to pick my truck up Monday. They have it ready. I have to put a new radiator in. My plastic end has cracked after all this time. It leaks except when running & under pressure. I will let you guys know how my truck performs. Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

Hey guys I finally got my truck picked up. The truck is stronger than ever or maybe its feels that way because I have been driving a Ford PS. The truck engine job seems top notch as I would expect from Cummins. I think my engine got some real close attention paid to it due to the problem surrounding the whole ordeal. The only obvious proble I notice is this winding up drone sound that I have never previously heard from the turbo. The Shop Foreman listened to it & said it was just spooling up, but I have never heard that loud drone out of it. I wonder if some of the broken valve parts may have damaged the turbo. There was only a very small piec or 2 of the valve that could have went through it. They said they check the turbo & it turns freely. Does anyone have an idea about this drone? The shop foreman said the head they put back on is the new improved version of the 24 valve head. He is a junky like most of us. He said the way it is built should accommadate me with more torque & power. I ran it on level 5 in my Comp yesterday. It is smoking quite a bit more than it used to. Again, does this sound turbo related? Thanks for any help anyone can offer. She is headed to the paint booth tomorrow to be re-REDDED.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, my thought here is take it back and have them remove that turbo and inspect the turbine wheel with the housing off and they will find the fins damages , you can not inspect any turbo without doing that...... any pieces of the engine no matter how small will damage the turbine wheel and no you cannot see the damage without removing the housing. hate to be the bad news bearer. but that turbo should have been replaced.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

John is that turbo something I can check myself? How complicated is it to check it? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:30 PM

it is easy , just remove the turbo and then remove the turbine housing , and look at the turbine wheel , and you will find the fins on the outside edge with damage from even the littliest pieces coming out from the engine, probably now would be the best time to upgrade that turbo anyways.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

John what do you suggest for a turbo upgrade? I am leaning towards one of the Hybrid 35/40 combos? Do you have any better suggestions? I am not going any further with my power than where I am right now. So I guess the one thing I would be looking for would be something that could accommadate 45 lbs of boost safely. What do you think? Of course I am gonna run this by the guys at the Cummins South & see what they say about replacing one for my engine damaged turbo. This turbo is less than 6 months old. It was a recon out of the box from Dodge. I don't expect them to honor any warranty where damage was caused to it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:35 PM

BGHEAD, I applaud you. If you look at my screen name you will understand this. My 97 ferd had 3 bent pushrods and 3 broken valves at 26k. Ford replaced for nothing under 5yr warranty. exacty 26k later, same dam problem but not under warranty because it just went over 5 years. Told ford that they replaced 18months ago. They would not fix it under warranty and I agreed and paid 750 bucks. I now regret it. Was it out of warranty? YES. Should my pushrods bend AGAIN at 26k? NO. Truck only had 52k on it with two rebuilds on the upper end. I call BS on that warranty. Now I drive a dodge and my ecm is bad on my 52k truck. Time to trade back in on a 98 dodge 12v. I just sold my wifes 98 12er 5 months ago.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:19 PM

I cant believe I just read all that...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
DTR Mom

Talking

Originally Posted by Turbo6guy
I cant believe I just read all that...

I hear that brother! observation says THANKS to John and the other guys that really did try to help; (imho, honestly; he said/she said stuff has no place in business negotiations, a little maturity goes a LOOOONG way) 13 years as a state magistrate lets me say that. timing and paperwork prove a lot, no words needed.

Nice forum though and a WEALTH of talented opinions, POINT ME in the right direction:

I was looking for a little diesel boost info for my 2004 CTD 1 ton short box. maybe a BHAF but wondering about the fuel meters, etc. a lot of folks have. I just want to do the best mileage wise. I am still deciding on making biodiesel for the cost factor, but scared about Cummins 5 percent use or no warranty. got a neat little mercedes to experiment on, yee haw!

could anyone tell me a thread for the simple modifications as the first item of question? THANKS fellas! and a TIP of the HAT to you Texas guys for still being the polite, willin' to help good ol' boys.....
Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Justwannabeme are you saying I acted immature in posting about this issue? If so, take your Biodiesel to the thread where it belongs & stay off this one because what you said is totally unrelated to the subject matter at hand. This thread is not about 04 trucks, check the next section down called 3rd Generation trucks. I acted in a matter necessary to take care of my interests & rights, no matter how a great state magistrate sees it. If I misunderstood your post, then I apologize for that, but I think it rang pretty clear.

John the new GM at this Branch is going to get me a new HX 35 & ship it to me. No costs again. Just good MATURE handling of my business. I am going to put it on because it is no big deal & send him the old one.BH
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 AM

well good deal again..... I couldnt suggest nothing as far as a turbo to run, I know only what I read here about what works best and there is many different opinions of what is best.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
DTR Mom

Talking

I was looking for a little diesel boost info for my 2004 CTD 1 ton short box.
could anyone tell me a thread for the simple modifications as the first item of question? POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

BIGHEAD , thanks for the 3rd generation/ 24 valve notice of different trucks. I definitely will get to the proper forum.

and yes, I get to offer a GENERAL post.

imho, means In My Humble Opinion- what makes America great.....

Experience in business cases (Lemon Laws)- fact is you get farther when you understand the problem; listen to the dealership/manufacturer; and have documents to support your claim; maturity allows this to happen and gain the benefit.

I felt the exact same way as TURBOGUY. If I wanted to refer to you , I would. there is no need to as you are aptly named.
THANKS to you guys who sent the positive private messages ! I, at least, appreciate the great help!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGHEAD
Justwannabeme are you saying I acted immature in posting about this issue? BH
I do indeed feel you acted immature in the whiney manner in which you posted here. I also feel you were arrogant and argumentive to people that were only trying to help you.

Keep posting in this manner and you can go find yourself another place to do it, such behavior is NOT welcome here. The only reason this thread wasn't shut down a long time ago is because it managed slipped under the radar some how.

Like it or not you do not have the choice as to WHO can post in a thread or what subject they choose to post about. Learn to deal with it or leave I don't care which.

Bighead.....the name fits you perfectly.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I do indeed feel you acted immature in the whiney manner in which you posted here. I also feel you were arrogant and argumentive to people that were only trying to help you.

Keep posting in this manner and you can go find yourself another place to do it, such behavior is NOT welcome here. The only reason this thread wasn't shut down a long time ago is because it managed slipped under the radar some how.

Like it or not you do not have the choice as to WHO can post in a thread or what subject they choose to post about. Learn to deal with it or leave I don't care which.

Bighead.....the name fits you perfectly.
Originally Posted by justwannabeme
THANKS fellas! and a TIP of the HAT to you Texas guys for still being the polite, willin' to help good ol' boys.....

You must forgive him Larry HE'S NOT FROM TEXAS
Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

I just got through watching the Legend of Geronomo. In the movie Robert Duvall is quoted as saying that men from TX were the lowest form of Human Beings alive. I just thought that was fitting to throw into the mix here. John & fellow diesel fanatics that helped me, thanks for your help through this thread. I think Mr Ellis that some of the people here didn't think I acted immaturely & whiney. I would like for you to quote me as to where I was whiney at. I really take offense to that considering I am a grown man that had an issue with a company that this web site is all about. I described the problem & asked for solutions. I got the best possible outcome possible & partly due to one member in particular. So if you think I acted improperly, then kick me off or whatever it is you do to people that you decide you don't like what they have to say. I mean it is the American way, to tell people what they can say & what they can't say. I have spilt my guts for this country along with other veterans & fully believe in the right to FRee Speech. I didn't say anything in this thread ugly or to personally offend anyone. If I did, then I ask again, please point it out so that I can learn what it is that I am allowed to say here & what it is that I can't say. How many guys on this site do you think have read this thread & gained some knowledge of how to handle Cummins a little better if they get stuck in a situation like I did? Please point out my whining here or maybe tell me that you didn't understand what I was trying to get across. Thank you Mr Ellis for this site that is so beneficial to everyone.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS Warranty