24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CUMMINS Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You said ceramic coated pistons??Easy then,when the head comes off verify the pistons are in fact ceramic coated.Should be visible after the tops of the pistons are clean...
Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitrous go back to post #8 by me, & read the last paragraph. That will tell you how this burnt valve diagnosis came about. I was raised that Right & Fair are the same, and if they are not, you MAKE them that way. I can't treat you fair without treating you right. That is just the way I see things. Maybe I am naive to think that way, but that is one reason I have always been successful in my business ventures, because I treat people the right way & I am fair to them.
There is a bigger issue here, which is whether I even got a new motor at all. I am going to check on that Monday if the General Mgr is in. He just got promoted to the Regional mgr position. They did send me a new grill right away about 4 weeks ago when I called down there to question them how long they expected me to live with the 2 broken zip ties that were put on by the serv mgr. The parts mgr( who just quit) got with the GM & explained what had happened 18 months ago & he authorized me a new grill. They are supposed to pay for my ignition being fixed too, but never have.
If they should decide to pay 75% of the job, they are still not losing money, only profit. It is no different than the MSRP on a vehicle. They mark it up so they can knock off 20% & make you think you got a deal. I think they should make the entire job cost me zero because a Cummins Company did the work, lied to me , & have jerked me around. You know something else, I won't accept nothing less, because if I had the same issue come in my shop, & I do own & run my own shop, I would suck it up & take care of my customer, especially one that has been a good customer for the last 8 years. I have boght 3 Big Cam 4 recon engines from these very people & never had a single complaint. I by this RV275 & get this crap now. Of course my previous 3 engines were bought dealing with another service mgr., who left from there to go work for Peterbuilt. I think my major issue here is the service mgr & his lies to me. Once I get them worked out, I can probably get everything worked out. He has the ability to tell you what is wrong with your truck by looking at it in the parking lot. He automatically told me I needed a new head, when he heard me back it off my gooseneck. He is just a joke, but I guess as short-handed as they are, he fits their needs.
Nitrous what is your experience here with the Cummins engine? Do you work for them ? It seems you are taking the side of Cummins.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

CMNSCRZY, if I get a chance to look at the motor when the head is taken off, I will certainly know then. I guess I am going to have to take off down there & wait for them to start working on my truck to check up behind them. I am glad you mentioned that, so I can remember to look for those ceramic coated pistons. I have never seen any ceramic coated ones. What does the coating look like? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

Bighead, come on, let's not get to personal and argumenatitive here. I really think you will get more help if you stay calm...
Originally Posted by BIGHEAD
There is a bigger issue here, which is whether I even got a new motor at all. I am going to check on that Monday if the General Mgr is in. He just got promoted to the Regional mgr position.
I think that making sure you got what you bought would be the best course of action to persue. If it was just a matter of being over on time and under on miles for warranty, I would tell you to suck it up. them covering 75% is great. But if your gut is saying "Hey! Dude! That ain't the engine they said they sold you!" by all means find out why no S/N on it, make sure it is EXACTLY what you orderd, and paid for. And make sure they make it right.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nitrous what is your experience here with the Cummins engine? Do you work for them ? It seems you are taking the side of Cummins.
No i dont work for cummins. I have had 17 years of dealing with them on various issues. I have a hard time following your plotted course. You dont tell the story straight out. You want everone to take your side and blame cummins. I will stand by this if you get them to cover 75 percent of the repair you are doing good. You are out of warranty. This is the last i will comment on this issue.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to hear this saga bighead, ive be there before, fool me once shame on you .....if u had suspicion as to original reman engine being bogus u should never have paid them...if i saw them riviting on a tag on the timing cover i would be majorly ****** and would have refused that engine right from the start....i personally had problems with an allison trany similar situation......for a fact. the old sevice manager either got transferd or let go for a reason.that reason is money, he wasnt producing the money for the company.....so what to these guys dooo...they have to cut corners somewhere, this time it just happened to be u...i belive u got a bogus engine, u were sceptical from the get go, yet did nothing to stop it....happened to me so i understand.....fool me twice shame on me. This _hit will never happen to me again. i do however think they are being standup by the fact that they will now pay 75% of the repair.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 PM

I dont think you got a bogus engine, just very poor service. you may have gotten a long block and it does not come with a gear housing , and your old gear housing didnt meet reuse specs. and had a new one put on, well the new one's dont come with a engine data tag , just sounds like poor workmanship on the shop part. they should have taken the data tag off the old one and installed it on the new housing. it is up to the shop manager or foreman to check on these jobs before they are released to the Cust.. I know I wouldnt have a job today if I had let a tech put out that kind of work and I didnt inspect it to be sure the Cust. gets what he expect from us.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i guess i hit a sour but TRUE note.....with a service manager who obviously cares, but wouldn't take a stand till someone questioned integrity...not pointing fingers imo...
Old 02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

I just got off the phone with the serv mgr. He says one of the number 4 valves broke & also damaged a piston. He has not pulled the piston yet to see how much it hurt it. I am about to take me a ride, as the Big Boss is also in there today as well. John my previous 3 Recon(Big Truck) engines all had data plates on them. This alleged 5.9 also had one on the cover, because you could tell where it was removed. You guys are right. I should have followed up on my suspicians immediately, but the motor seemed to run fine, other than having some blowby out of the tube that I thought was excessive. Just the same, the engine has been pretty much trouble free. To the best of my knowledge, all cummins engines have a data plate that is supposed to follow them for the life of the engine, even after rebuilds. After rebuilds, it is coded so that when looked at by cummins, they can tell what was done to the engine. It still maintains its original serial number. The technician told me to my face that he removed the id plate, & had apparently misplaced it. So I know based on that, that there was one on it. Now whether it was my old one or a new one, who knows. I am going to see. I will not be made a fool again.
Nitrous I am sorry you have a hard time reading a charted course. I thought I explained my suspicians & the facts of the matter pretty well too. I also understand that this is a dealer for Cummins Engine Co, not the company itself. I will say this warranty or not, their engine should hold up better than just good enough to get them out of warranty, & if it doesn't they should make amends as needed, whether it is 75% or 100%. I think the whole thing sucks. I don't need anyone to take my side. I originally explained my situation & asked for advice from anyone that may have ever had this situation with cummins. Whether you or anyone else takes my side is irrelevant. My engine getting fixed is what is relevant. Thanks for your 2 cents worth just the same.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Wipe the piston tops and look for the ceramic coating,should be a goldish color,not a grey metal color.....Like I said,should be easily visible...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

This story just gets better & better. Cmnscrzy, there is no ceramic coating on the pistons. Another lie. There was a bent & a broke exhaust valve on number 4. The cause was not part failure as the mechanic told me, it was overspeeding the motor, as the General Mgr later told me. In other words, it was my fault that somehow another I Red-Lined the engine, though they couldn't find it on the computer nowhere. The service mgr told me the whole head was cracked up because I had been over boosting it. He told me the boost threshold of the head was 35lbs. I said that is all I can produce except when I catch a real cool dry night that I want to show out on & I can hit 46. I told him I could count on both hands the number of times that engine has seen more than 35 lbs of boost. This was just another excuse in my book. I repeatedly asked the SM for a serial number on the LB I had. He kept telling me there wasn't one. I told him that I know that Cummins is constantly changing what goes on a LB to maintain profits, but that engine came with a timing cover because you could see on the cover where it had been.
I didn't feeling like arguing with him. He told me he was waiting to see what RECON said they would do. I went up front & sat down with the GM & layed the whole story out from beginning to today. He informed that I had no warranty when they put an RV engine into a Dodge PU. Wrong application voids the warranty. He also informed me that all B series Long Blocks & parts only have 6 months of warranty. If that is the case, I have been out for a year. He was very disturbed about me being mislead by the SM. He did tell me I was not the first person to complain about that. He told me his **** was fired if he verified what I told him. He asked me what I was willing to pay for the job. I said I don't want to pay anything if possible. He told me he would definetly eat the job, but was unsure to what degree. I told him to get a figure put together on what the job was gonna cost & let's go from there. I couldn't see telling him I would be willing to pay x amount of dollars when we aren't sure of what has to be done yet. The piston has to be replaced too. The GM assured me he would have a come to Jesus meeting with the SM in the morning & call me around lunch. I don't know if I improved my position or made it worse, but I guess I will find out tomorrow. I found out that this GM is straight by the book, so I hope that helps me, even though I don't ever read the book. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 PM

Sorry to step on anyones toes, but......
You, BIGHEAD have asked the opinion of others and then threw them back with the most unfavorable attitude, I think that you might need to analyze all that has been said, say thanks and move on, being childish and drawn out is just adding fuel that is not needed, also with what you have said about the fishyness of the dealer I personally would drive 1000miles to another, something is not right, but to call others liers and push things in their face is , well BIHEADED YOu asked, You got, like it or not, the way this is headed it will probably be closed soon anyways, just move on and take a moment.
Again, just a thought, not trying to walk on anyone here
Old 02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Purnloud, I am still waiting for your advice, otherwise just mind your own business. I have called no one a liar except the sevice manager I am dealing with. Learn to read, so you know what has been said & asked. I appreciate those of you who have genuinely offered me advice or offered suggestions. Those of you who told me to Suck it up, take this from me & suck it up. I hope you never get robbed by someone you trust then get told to suck it up, its your fault to start with. You guys who want me to suck it up, start sending the donations, I will gladly suck them up because you are such out standing gentlemen.
If some of you think I have a bad attitude, then sit in my shoes & think about how I feel about this crap. I don't have the extra cash just laying around to sling at a motor that should not be tearing up, especially in a truck that is 7 years old. It is almost to the point that you have to decide if the truck is worth spending anymore money on. I will have to drive it at least another 2 years to try & get my money back out of the new TC & flexplate that hit me for 2300 bucks a month ago. I am also waiting to get this truck repainted, but I guess I will have to suck it up & drive an ugly truck with a new head in it.So let's dedicate tomorrow as Suck it up Day, and just get over it.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:07 PM

well, POT, I said that givin the run around you have had with the shop you are currently using, I would drive 1000 miles if needed to use another, something is not right, I was taught to read and to comprhend what I read, that is the second, and the last time I will offer help, good luck
Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 AM

This is all confusing , is this a Cummins dealer or distributorship ? next thing is saying your overspeeding this without any evidence. if it has a ECM , tell them to give you a ECM image. if they cant produce it , tell them to get someone that knows how to do it....... your correct on some things about engine data, some engine will come with a new data tag , and that is true with the 855 type blocks N14, NT88 . but not with the M11,ISM or ISX , all are heavy duty engine, it is hard to say what should be done without the actual fact in front of me. but with what your saying , you have been offered Policy from Cummins already , I think the rest should be covered by the dealer or distributorship warranty, another words ,come out of thier pockets for the poor service and incompetance but that is up to the general manager.... then again if they do produce a ECM image and it says you have overspeed the engine , you may be left hanging with nothing... Cummins ECM Image will have a section with that information along with when it happen.

Quick Reply: CUMMINS Warranty