24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cummins and 53 block replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question cummins and 53 block replacement

Talked to Cummins today about replacing my cracked block- they will replace the block at an autorized dealer. You have to pay the labor costs plus the fluids-oil etc. I was wondering what a fair price is for taking out and replacing the engine? Also should I repalace the head and the clutch while the motor is out? Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many miles do you have on your truck? what year is it?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM

It is a 1999with 145000miles
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Are you the original owner?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM

iI am the orginal owner.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM

Posted to the other thread - copied here.

I just got off the phone with Cummins at 1-800-diesels.

Mine has 147800 miles on it and leaking about 4 gallons per day. The rep said he has never heard of LocknStitch being totally successful in the long term.

He gave me two options.

1. They will overhaul it at their shop furnishing Block, rings, bearings, etc. I am responsible for labor and misc.

2. They will cover up to $1000 of a short block or engine replacement done by me upon presentation of receipts.

I am going for the block and overhaul by them. This should be a million mile engine so the internal parts should not have a problem with wear at 147800.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Say what... so is Cummins starting to help guys out with cracked 53s? No hoops, calls, threats, lawsuits, certified letters, etc to get to this point?

Aside from the fact that if/when mine cracks it will still cost some bucks, having them offer what it sounds like here is more than before.

So out the door, let us know (ballpark) what it ended up costing out of pocket please.

Thanks much,
CORed
Old 06-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
up2 150000 after that u own it..
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 AM

Yes -- I talked to a counter guy at Fresno Cummins West and didn't get a call back so called the 1-800 number and relayed info I had read here. I said I heard you were replacing the cracked defective 53 blocks, and he said - Well that's not quite true but - made me the above offer. They haven't called to schedule the appointment yet but I'll bug them next week.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 AM

Dropped by Cummins today - got the paperwork started to lock my mileage in at 147902 - didn't want to go over the 150K mark so got a work order started. The service guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about but the parts guy I had seen last week verified that the 53 block was defective. The service guy will research it to see about my approval...

They charge $109 per hour with 10% off if you join their diesel club. Estimated time to do the deed is about 45 hours. My buddie recommended I have the head done - recon and service guy recommended doing the radiator - both seem like good ideas to me.

Help from Cummins but still not cheap. Should know more in the next few days.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 AM

I haven't had one call back from the Cummins factory 1-800-diesels or Cummins West - Fresno. I have had to initiate all calls.

I called Fresno again today and the Service manager said he would need to know who I talked to at the factory because there is only one person there who authorizes this. I talked to someone who talked to him but I don't know who - I would suggest getting names if you do this.

I found a used 58c long block from a slightly burned truck so will try the money option with them. At this point it doesn't look promising.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Well - things are looking better. I called 1-800-diesels. Their phone rep pulled up the original phone tag and gave me a Fax number to send in copies of all my parts tags for the refund, referencing the call tag number and my original engine number and other pertinent information.

This is the way I have come to think of them over the years- Cummins - trustworthy - reliable - dependable. Looks like they will continue to try to live up to their name.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM

need some help

I have a '99 with a cracked 53 block - 88K. Dodge blew me off. Cummins made me thoffer of a free block with bearings and rings but had to be installed by Cummins mechanic at by cost or would send me $1000 and let me select an engine. I selected the $1000 option and should receive their check by the 1st.
Found and 02 engine with 76K for $3000. Engine is a VIN "6" like mine. Switched the engines using the starter, turbo, ECM module,A/C compressor and fuel injection pump from the 99 engine. After priming engine started right up. Noticed had no oil pressure, but the check guages light went out. Did some checking and determined oil pump was working. Cranked again still no oil pressure, nor engine temp guage movement. Engine initially would be idling a little rough, but after 5-6 seconds engine would smooth out, but the tach would drop to zero. Use OBDII and determined that no signal was picked up from the Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. Checked with Chrysler dealer and was informed the '02 blocks do not have a CKP sensor and they were surprised the engine cranked and ran with the '99 ECM and '02 block.
Asked some other folks about this and they told me I would have to use the wiring harness and sensors from the 99 as that is what the ECM was expecting. Switched wiring harness, oil pressure guage, MAP sensor, fuel filter canister with its heater and moved the CKP from the 99 to the '02 block ( was not easy with engine in chassis.)
Thought I was ready to go. Tried to prime system but lift pump is not running.
Can anyone offer any valid advice on what else I need to do?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by squirtdog
Talked to Cummins today about replacing my cracked block- they will replace the block at an autorized dealer. You have to pay the labor costs plus the fluids-oil etc. I was wondering what a fair price is for taking out and replacing the engine? Also should I repalace the head and the clutch while the motor is out? Thanks
I took the engine alone into Cummins because I already had it taken out by ADT in W.V. Cummins replaced the block, rings, bearings, Gaskets & supplied me with oil, filter [I paid for these] then painted my engine black & I went out the door. It costed me $1700 for the labor & I had it back next day. I got to see them put the engine together & everything. I would do a clutch while it is out & it is a good idea to have the head redone.

Last edited by J Lent; 12-21-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Thats GREAT !!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by J Lent
I took the engine alone into Cummins because I already had it taken out by ADT in W.V. Cummins replaced the block, rings, bearings, Gaskets & supplied me with oil, filter then painted my engine black & I went out the door. It costed me $1700 for the labor & I had it back next day. I got to see them put the engine together & everything.

Those are the stories I like to Hear...

And THAT's Cheap..

Quick Reply: cummins and 53 block replacement