24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold Temp Warm Up Program

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well so far for just standard idle speed (800-850 RPM's) with the jake on will get me up around 400-450*F in the pyro... Isn't this high enough for complete burn at idle?

I still would like to activate the high idle feature on the truck... I might check up in Lewiston ID and see if they can do it for me for a fair price...
Old 11-30-2005, 02:49 PM

My dealer won't do it

Took mine in today to get it done. Even printed the TSB from Genos. Handed the TSB to the service guy, who gave it to the mechanic. About 30 min later, the mechanic tells me that Dodge no longer allows this program to be installed. He said he has the absolute newest version of the scantool from DC, and it is no longer available. He told me not to worry about paying, and cancelled the workorder. He did show me his computer hooked up to my truck which said something like "newest version of software already installed - no upgrade available".

Too bad, it would come in handy here in the Great White North.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 PM

I have the high idle feature enabled and it works fine on a stick. I also have the 3 cyc. start up feature and it also works fine. I scares that crap out of you the first couple of times though. It starts as normal and after a little while it will drop down into the 3 cyc. mode until warm or the throttle is moved. The high idle comes on after a little while also. I had mine done last winter, I took the TSB printed out from Genos and it was done in a little while. I think that the dealer doesn't really know how to do it. I would take it to another dealer and see if they can do it, but that is just me. Anything can be done if the person wants and knows how to do it.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by TORQUE
You can also purchase a hi-idler kit from Harold Browers(sorry can't find his #I bought mine from him), maybe someone will post his phone #, it's a great kit for about $50usd. The advantage of this is that you can turn it on anytime you want it, even when engine is warm(to keep it warm)when running in somewhere, or waiting in truck for wife .

Whereas factory hi-idle only works when engine is cold(32f)or colder(among other requirements), and 3cyl run only if temp is (15f)or cooler. There is a TSB#18-019-01, which was done on mine for free, but I still like Harolds setup better, as I said previously it's more versatile in it's use.
I just saw this in another thread so here you go!

rvhvnfn@juno.com 208-459-7849
Old 12-01-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JaredOlsen
A couple of weeks ago I had a dealer in California suposably program the cold start warm up program for my truck (ramp up to 1200 rpm if below 32 deg. and run only 3 cyl. if below 15 deg.) they charged me 80 dollars and said it was done. I am back home in UT now and the last couple of days it has been well below freezing and I did not notice any rmp change. So I just took it into the dealer and they said that the 1200 rpm idle only works with automatics not manual and that the 3 cyl. shutdown will work but they checked the program and said that it was not even activated. So they said they activated it now. My question is this. . . So what exactly did the other dealer do that he charged me $80 for and is it true that the high idle is not available for manuals?

jaredolsen
Plug OBDII in the OBDII port, go under Cummins, go into 3.3 Cylinder Idle, enable it! It is called 3.3 Cylinder Idle, not high idle or fast idle. I just had a 99 and 2000 done. I also had both the speedo's calibrated for larger tires.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:51 AM

RickCJ,

Can you recalibrate the speedo with the OBDII or does teh dealer have to do it?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM

ECM flashed

i have a 99 and never have the touched, does the dealer flash the ECM for the updates for free or do i have to pay for it? And if so, what would the cost be?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Plug OBDII in the OBDII port, go under Cummins, go into 3.3 Cylinder Idle, enable it! It is called 3.3 Cylinder Idle, not high idle or fast idle. I just had a 99 and 2000 done. I also had both the speedo's calibrated for larger tires.
Do all OBDII scan tools work, or only the more expensive ones? Which scan tool do you have? I recently had the high idle program activated on my truck at the dealer for 37.50. Only problem is, it hasn't worked yet and it's been in the low teen's here. How long does it idle before it is suppose to engage?

Last edited by jschintgen; 12-01-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: update:
Old 12-01-2005, 12:34 PM

jjsj38,
The ECM needs to be reflashed to allow for the high idle program. They didn't start including it until 01 or 02. I didn't have it and they reflashed it and enabled it. Don't just have them reflash it, it also needs to be enabled. I think it cost me $50 or so, cheap for what it does.

jschintgen,
The high idle should engage within a minute as long as you don't touch the throttle. If it hasn't worked yet and it got into the teens I would say that they didn't enable it right.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the response farmer-dave.
I'll look into it with the dealer.
Is there anything else i should have done with the new flash update ??
Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Not that I know about but you may want to take your superchip off before going. I have heard of some dealers refusing service because of chips.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 PM

how come it wont kick into high idle if the truck has been plugged in, even if its -50*c? anyone know? cuz that kinda sucks if you cant plug it in if you want the high idle to work.
Clay
Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to have all these conditions present for it to work:
1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

If you plug it in, the Coolant is no longer less than 60°C, so no high idle.

I didn't plug mine in last night, as I wasn't leaving for work till 8pm today.
It ramped up the idle after about a minute, even though I was half expecting it, I was still kinda startled.

phox
Old 12-04-2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by ib516
Took mine in today to get it done. Even printed the TSB from Genos. Handed the TSB to the service guy, who gave it to the mechanic. About 30 min later, the mechanic tells me that Dodge no longer allows this program to be installed. He said he has the absolute newest version of the scantool from DC, and it is no longer available. He told me not to worry about paying, and cancelled the workorder. He did show me his computer hooked up to my truck which said something like "newest version of software already installed - no upgrade available".

Too bad, it would come in handy here in the Great White North.
Sounds like the situation I had three years ago. I had the program installed at a dealer in Maine but they never enabled it.

By the way 2001 with drum brakes means you need the updated program, if you have disk brakes it just needs to be turned on.

So I go to a dealer in NY to have it enabled, after waiting for 45 minutes they come out and tell me my truck has all of the latest updates and they can't do anything else. I said, I know I told you I didn't need an update and that it just needed to be turned on. The tech is standing right there and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about and he's been doing this for 15 years yaddy yadda. Finally we go to his computer and I am trying to get him to read the TSB where it tells you how to enable the program but he's too busy running his mouth about know it all customers, finally he reads it and say oh I see, I'll have it done in 5 minutes. I then went in to the service manager and told him not to charge me because I just taught his tech how to do his job. They didn't charge me and it works great now.

If you plug in it's going to have to be below zero to maybe get the high idle to work, my 3 cylinder use to come on after driving a mile from the house and stopping at the coffee shop in -10 to -20 weather after being plugged in. Even if you don't plug the truck in and it's 20 degrees out don't expect the high idle to come on unless the truck has been off for 12 or more hours. It's usually not going to come on until after the grid heaters stop cycling because they keep the intake temp above the 32 or 15 required.

My high idle came on yesterday morning for the first time since I put my exhaust brake on, WOW, that heats thing up, 650 degree EGT's, full temp after idling 5-6 minutes.

3 cylinder idle will scare you the first time you hear it and if it's really cold (-20) it will try to go there once the truck starts and with zero oil pressure, touch the trottle once and it will stop for a few seconds until it builds pressure. If your truck starts and is running rough because it's cold and trys to 3 cylinder idle it will quit. Just alittle info to pass out there.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

That's why I prefer to have a toggle switch operated hi-idle, turn it on whenever YOU want it.

Quick Reply: Cold Temp Warm Up Program