24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Clutch Question

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=4;threadid=7742;start=0#74531 date=1038847346]<br>I talked to doug at Enterprise engine and he said thay can make single disk pulling clutch that is good for a couple of pulls a year for around 1,000 bucks. That is the clutch I'm looking at.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Dodgeman01,<br><br>I looked into that single disc pulling clutch as well but was told you have to purchase the fully splined mainshaft as well and that peace alone is $800. And on top of that I was also told the pedal preasure is also very hard and would ware you out in traffic. <br><br>Just something else to consider. <br><br>DB
Old 12-02-2002, 10:24 PM

Good to hear darrell. I was really riding the fence on this one. I know Mitchell has great stuff, but most people depend on SBC's. At least around my area. I can't wait for the bombing to begin. SMOKE, SMOKE, SMOKE
Old 12-02-2002, 10:34 PM

I just wish I had 1,700 dollars floating around.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:37 PM

$1,700. For what? If your talking a pulling clutch I understand. A SBC is not that bad.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:39 PM

yep for the Mittchel pulling clutch.

Hey gun it just so happens that I'm in college to be a history teacher and I farm about 500 acers *sp* up here in Ohio. Mostly Black Angus cows but some beans wheat and corn. some tobacco too
Old 12-03-2002, 07:40 AM

Great. I am glad I went to college. I had an awesome time. Too much fun some semesters. At least I know two of us are mental!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:51 AM

I really like the college I'm in. I go to the U of Cincinnati.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:06 AM

Go Bearcats you say. Cool. I teach in Pendleton County Kentucky. Just about 30 minutes from you. Have you been to Black Mountain Diesel in Cynthiana, KY? It is an hour from Cincy.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:22 AM

Yep I was down there for the dyno day a few weeks ago.<br>Going back this weekend to pick up some guages for my friend
Old 12-03-2002, 10:27 AM

Well good. We probably talked then. Its hard to remember all the people you meet. What kind of gauges?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:53 PM

so have any of you clutch guys driven both the FE and the OFE products from SBC? I'm hearing from some that street drivability is better for the OFE but its not clear to me what you give up (in street drivabililty) with the FE. <br><br>One thing I have consistently heard is that the SBCs are hands down the best street clutch known to man. So thanks for that, peter! I just want to know if I will hate the FE feel, or if the OFE will feel better and still be strong enough. It needs to handle an Edge comp and DD 2's, towing, as well as some street smiles. I'd like to do an occasional 3rd gear start off the line, but I need a stock-like feel for offroad use. and I really hate chattering, grabbing clutches. <br><br>could someone describe the street behavior of the FE and OFE clutches, considering:<br><br>* towing, including reverse in 2H<br>* street drivability, grabbing/chattering, etc.<br>* offroad drivability<br>* ability to handle a 3rd gear start.<br>
Old 12-03-2002, 01:10 PM

Doug I think DarrellB loves his. you might pm him to find out more. I am going with the Con Fe. I pull a 25ft flat and load all sorts of things on it. I also want to have jack rabbit starts and smoke the guys beside and behind me. HEHEHEHEHEHE.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:58 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Doug link=board=4;threadid=7742;start=15#75086 date=1038941587]<br>or if the OFE will feel better and still be strong enough. It needs to handle an Edge comp and DD 2's, towing, as well as some street smiles. I'd like to do an occasional 3rd gear start <br><br>could someone describe the street behavior of the FE and OFE clutches, considering:<br><br>* towing, including reverse in 2H<br>* street drivability, grabbing/chattering, etc.<br>* offroad drivability<br>* ability to handle a 3rd gear start.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey Doug,<br><br>The OFE, for the kind of power you're talking about, is going to be ideal for your situation. Lots of holding power, without the grabbiness that you're trying to avoid. The OFE is going to feel very similar to a stock clutch, whether you're on or off-road. Its not recommended, but if you have to, you can ride the OFE a bit as well, which can be handy for backing a trailer in 2WD.<br><br>The FE, on the other hand, is also a fairly smooth clutch, but it definitely is grabbier than stock. You won't be able to ride an FE clutch, so if you need to back slow, you're finding yourself in 4-lo (or a 2-lo kit). In an off-road situation, you'll also find yourself in 4-lo faster than you would with an OFE.<br><br>Either clutch will handle a 3rd gear start, but keep in mind that no matter what clutch you have, its going to be harder on it.<br><br>Personally, I'm a huge fan of Peter's FE clutches however they are not a 'consumer' clutch. I tend to treat an FE more like a tractor clutch. Get off the clutch, or get on the clutch. ;D You'll need to use your gears (including 4-lo) more. And another thing to bear in mind is that an FE clutch isn't going to seat properly if you don't have enough power going through it. For break-in, an FE wants to be driven so it'll seat. The OFE's break-in power requirement is lower, and as such, I think thats where you'll want to be.<br><br>Rod
Old 12-03-2002, 04:44 PM

Great comments, Rod. that helps a lot. my only concern with the OFE is that the SBC site lists it as a 400 HP product and I thought it might be 'on the edge' in its ability to hold an HO truck with DD2's and an Edge comp box. <br><br>BTW, my stock clutch holds with EZ power as long as I dont' let it get too warm. it doesn't like to run hot! So tell me, where would I get one of these OFE's installed on SW Idaho or SE Oregon?
Old 12-03-2002, 06:30 PM

What Rod said. <br><br>I've not driven my Fe much yet but I'm getting used to it.<br><br>I'm pushing about 350Hp right now but will in the future be adding more so that's why I went with the FE instead of the OFE. The clutch is deffenently not like the stock clutch, but you get used to the grabbyness really quick. <br><br>I'm gonna get a 2low kit and put in to aid in backing the larger loads but other than that it is one awesome clutch. Right now you can't take off in 2nd, it gets kinda jerky but I think if I use a little more throttle it will work. I just didn't want to get too carried away until I got the clutch seated properly. <br><br>DB

Quick Reply: Clutch Question