24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

My check engine light stays on . Just washed my truck and went to the store. Its a 99. I stopped and re started it and the check engine light still stayed on.
Does this mean I go to autozone and check for codes with their scanner? After I get the code will the light go off on a 99? fill me in.

I had checked autozone before and they let ya use their scanner in the parking lot. Ive never used one before. Where do I plug it in and what do I do?

Also on a 99 I guess it doesnt show the codes like the newer trucks , am I right? If so can I buy a scanner so I can check my truck at home ? If so whats a computer code checker cost$$$?

Any other tips?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok went to auto zone . I got code 1740. I think that is lockup in the torque converter.

Ive been driveing back and forth local under 35mph ,road const. too.

Well that was the only code. I erased it. went out on the highway and my lock up is working fine . Tryed it with o/d off too. works good.

Maybe the code came on because ive been idleing around for a few days under 35mph by my house and I wasnt getting any throtle or speed and barely getting into 3rd gear.

Also my fuel door light is on after I washed my truck. I couldnt feel any switch inside the fuel door. anyone have your fuel door light go on after washing?