24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Changed fuel filter for first time... YIKES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed fuel filter for first time... YIKES!!!

Diesel Gods,<br> I changed my fuel filter for the first time at 15000 miles. I was real nervous about doing it. ??? As per Geno's website showing how to do it, I drained the fuel filter canister and removed the old filter. Replaced the filter and rubber ring around the top of the lid and screwed her back on. When I tried to start it the first time, it started right up... then died after a few seconds. I'm sure it was left over fuel in the fuel line. Then I hit the key again, this time the fuel injection system ran for about 15 seconds loading the fuel filter canister. Now the fun begins. :-[ I tried to start it about NINE TIMES with no luck. Then I hit the key and kept it cranking for about 5 seconds until it started, but ran real ruff then died. Tried it again for about 5 seconds and it finally started up. Been fine every since yesterday. Man I was getting worried. I think I'm OK now, but I was sweating it out there for a while. I'm back to terrorizing the neighbor hood with that beautiful Cummins sound. ;D Adios. 8)
Old 03-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Changed fuel filter for first time... YIKES!!!

A good practice when changing the oil and oil filter in a diesel is to fill up the new oil filter 1/2 to 3/4 full with the new oil. As for the engine not starting thats a mystery to me. ??? I've changed my oil in my diesel twice with no problems. Hopefully another member will know the cause. 8)
Old 03-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Ya gotta burp it....................
Old 03-17-2003, 08:57 AM

[quote author=DieselDude link=board=4;threadid=12365;start=0#116928 date=1047910448]<br>A good practice when changing the oil and oil filter in a diesel is to fill up the new oil filter 1/2 to 3/4 full with the new oil. As for the engine not starting thats a mystery to me. ??? I've changed my oil in my diesel twice with no problems. Hopefully another member will know the cause. 8) <br>[/quote]<br><br>Probably because he changed out his FUEL filter <br><br>Jones: Normally, you'd bump the lift pump 3-5 times, making sure you pause for the 20 second or so cycling. Then go for a start. If it doesn't start up after 5 seconds, repeat the 3-5 times again, and give it another go. I've never had a problem yet, knocking on wood, except for some Wisenheimer's who rattled a wrench on my truck frame after I got the truck running. Shut the puppy down with a what the h-e-double hockey sticks? Caught on real quick when I saw these &quot;buddies&quot; laughing their donkey butts off. Gotta watch out for the bomb parties. Anyway, you have to &quot;burp&quot; it, as in bleed off the air. Bumping the lift pump usually works quite well, if not, then you have to do the injector line bleed trick. I'm not well versed in that trick so I'm sure someone else will jump in with that technique.<br><br>~Dave<br><br>p.s. no slur intended for anyone reading this whose name is Wisenheimer.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:17 AM

[quote author=NWDave link=board=4;threadid=12365;start=0#116940 date=1047913066]<br>except for some Wisenheimer's who rattled a wrench on my truck frame after I got the truck running. Shut the puppy down with a what the h-e-double hockey sticks? Caught on real quick when I saw these &quot;buddies&quot; laughing their donkey butts off. <br>~Dave<br>[/quote]<br><br>LMAO!!
Old 03-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Administrator

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=4;threadid=12365;start=0#116932 date=1047911185]
Ya gotta burp it....................
[/quote]

Ya gotta burp it...................... Bump it, burp it..............

Don't take the vent plug all the way out while burping cause the lift pump runs for about 25 seconds even with the key shut off. You have to loosen it enough the burp the air out but be able to tighten it once you get fuel. Banshee can tell you all about the pump running right John? ;D ;D
Old 03-17-2003, 04:12 PM

I did mine for the first time last weekend, was starting to get p.o.'ed. I thought you only had to turn the key over to get the pump to prime, not bump the starter. Flipped the key a few times and it took off, only to die a couple seconds later. Luckily, I figured it out before I had to purge it. :-[
Old 03-17-2003, 11:15 PM

Well now if you fill up the canster before you put it on you don't have to do anything except start it. I only had a problem once in 181,000 miles. I was on the road and only had enough fuel to fill it half way and it lost the prime. Cracked the plug and kept hitting the pump until fuel ran out. Started fine. Normally I just fill the canaster and start it up.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:06 AM

I've heard that filling the canister up can get contaminates in the VP-44. Burping works fine and I usually cycle the lift pump at least 5 times. But those people that do not have a fuel pressure guage..... You dont know if your lift pump is even working... Better prefill the canister...<br><br>My lift pump was working fine until I stuck a guage on it...
Old 03-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Burping is the way to go. I could hear the lift pump running after I bumped the starter on my '99. I continued cycling until I got fuel out of the bleed screw on top of the canister. I'm not sure if all models required bumping the starter to get the lift pump to actuate, but mine was indicated in the owner's manual...I think the topic was fuel or running out of fuel?? ??? I really need to get a fuel pressure gauge when I get the $ and time to do it.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

All I do is just bump the starter about 5 times before.