24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Breather Bottle???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breather Bottle???

Can someone tell me where to find this "breather bottle" My truck has a rubber tube hanging down at the front left of the engine but I see no "bottle" associated with it. (I have been having some heating problems and want to do something about. after reading this forum the first thing I want to do is do something about the potential for the oil coming from the breather tube to foul my radiator)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM

bottle

location: looking at the truck its on your right side or better yet its on the drivers side. What you refer to as heating you mean over heating? That should be the case because this bottle if not tended to will just overflow and the residue will wind up everywhere in and around the bottle. This includes the radiator's fins...clogging them up and not making them very efficient.

For me, I removed the bottle and just extended that tube. I routed it straight down and left the extension long enough so that when it dripped it didn't bounce back to the axle or any other part of truck. Some guys extend it and route it back over the intake then down. Both ways work.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of input here.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:28 PM

jj350: What I think is my breather hose comes straight out of the top of a 3" dia round item that protrudes maybe 1 1/4 inches from what is possibly the timing chain cover. Is this the breather bottle? If so, how do I remove it to empty it? I've never seen a reference in the maintenance manuel as to emptying it. Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 06:11 PM

you're getting close. what you are looking for is an actual bottle. it may have been removed already. but you are at the right location. the tube comes up from there and just loops up and then immediately back down. at the end of this tube(12" or so) was an actual bottle. most guys or all, do actually remove this bottle. I never cleaned mine out until I started reading this website. the whole front end of my truck was wet from this bottle being full and just leaking all over.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think the '99 had a bottle on the end of the breather tube, mine doesn't.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:47 PM

I bought my truck new and it looks like the 99 never had a bottle based on what I'm reading in this thread. Maybe the best thing would be to just extend that rubber tube down another 4 inches or so. I wonder why the factory didn't extend it when they built the truck. My tube ends just above the A/C hoses and they are always oily as well as the pan. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by johnr9q
jj350: What I think is my breather hose comes straight out of the top of a 3" dia round item that protrudes maybe 1 1/4 inches from what is possibly the timing chain cover. Is this the breather bottle? If so, how do I remove it to empty it? I've never seen a reference in the maintenance manuel as to emptying it. Thanks
That is exactly where to look. You are in the right spot, however it sounds like you have no bottle. I reccomend you extend yours down to the frame rail or behind the engine. The stock tube and bottle are notorious for coating the backside of the radiator with a the greasy oily stuff that comes out of the tube.

BTW, these engines don't use a timing chain, everything is gear driven. Also that round block that the tube attaches to is the fuel pump drive cover, which you have to remove when you do a valve adjustment to see the timing marks.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:56 PM

I purchased a breather bottle from Jeg's months ago for my 99 and just installed it an hour ago. Go to http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/ISB/blowby_mod.htm for full instructions. (I used option 4) I was tired of the oily mess under my truck too. Good Luck, Mike.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 AM

I just picked up a 99 Dodge on Monday. I was wondering where all that stuff was coming from that was covering the motor. I was also wondering where the heck the bottle was. I guess I'll try extending it down further.

Thanks for the info. This site is pretty informative.