24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blowby and oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thek0rn.........did you change oil by chance. I didn't see if you did or not. Just a shot in the dark.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to see the outcome of this one. I've never heard anything about valve seals causing this but I guess it could. Been rebuilding and machining engines for over thirty years and haven't heard of this. Some of the heads that I have rebuilt from turbocharged diesels don't even have seals. I have seen valve guides and valves so worn that compression would go past them. Doesn't seem likely that there is a problem with the bottom end based on the compression test. Good luck, waiting to hear what you find.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

The compressor side of the turbo (intake) has a vacuum, it has to pull air through the air cleaner. Like I said, leak down is a waste of time, for the cylinders. It does have uses though.
It does?? Please explain how.
The only way any sort of vacuum can be obtained it through resistance like a plugged air filter. If you dont believe me put a vacuum guage on the filter box. The only time any negative pressure will be obtained is from a severely plugged air filter. As long as the filter is good there will never be any sort of vacuum.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nitrousn
It does?? Please explain how.
The only way any sort of vacuum can be obtained it through resistance like a plugged air filter. If you dont believe me put a vacuum guage on the filter box. The only time any negative pressure will be obtained is from a severely plugged air filter. As long as the filter is good there will never be any sort of vacuum.
A vacuum is produced when air is taken from one spot to another...... You are correct in what you stated....... Those little vacuum guages are junk. A water manometer is the correct way to measure this. There is always a vacuum in the intake tube. Even the best filter ( free flowing ) has a restriction. and also, just because it has a lesser restriction does'nt mean it is better. Behind the compressor wheel has a good vacuum. Kind of like the breather tube on our trucks, why does the radiator get nasty on the back-side when the fan is a puller?

keith
Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by flatline racing
thek0rn.........did you change oil by chance. I didn't see if you did or not. Just a shot in the dark.
i have changed the oil. the problem started in july, its been changed twice since the first time it happened.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 AM

Not to get off topic here, but it's been mentioned a few times about an engine that has been driven "easy" is there anything wrong with that? My truck has never really towed much.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM

well i just put 15 pounds presure into the intake, and i have 4 intake valves that are leaking enough air past to see and hear it. i can move the valve stems back and forth, and watch the air leak move around. at 30psi, there is alot of air moving past those 4 valves. so it looks like the head needs to come off at the very least. i will check the bottom end(rings, cyl walls, pistons) once i have the head off and see what the rest of it looks like.

anyone have machine shop recomendations?? i guess ill have it o-ringed and do studs while im at it, since i do plan on bigger sticks and a turbo in the future(later than sooner now).

should i be concerned about doing alot of work to the #53 block. its held up this far, but thats with rv275s and a stock hx35.
another option would be to try and find a complete used engine, non-#53 of course.
whats everyones thoughts???
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM

If you remove head..Use new bolts, check for CRACKS !! B4 head work (prone )
a new head was a G some times cheaper..just to buy new
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
I just looked up the factory specs for the intake vlv clearance and it's .006 to .015 inches allowable.
.006 to .015 inches will feel like a tremendous amount of play. I would just change the seals without removing the head and carry on.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Busboy
.006 to .015 inches will feel like a tremendous amount of play. I would just change the seals without removing the head and carry on.
I second that and it will not be that much time or energy wasted in the event it does not fix the issue. That is unless this blow by is a good excuse to fire ring the head!!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Put a dial indicator up to it,,No guess work
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Thank You for sharing ! I am glade you found your problem . I would like a answer on the short trip question , How bad is it to not get the temp up on the motor . I take my dog to the park about 6- miles round trip . I live in califorina , was thinking of blocking off the grill to get some temp in the motor.
Thank You !
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM

An other thought...is 15 lbs enough to hold the valve to the seat ?
and one more you sure the valve was closed ?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by thumper549
An other thought...is 15 lbs enough to hold the valve to the seat ?
and one more you sure the valve was closed ?
The rockers should be taken off when doing that test. Air pressure is also trying to open the valve.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Banned

The test has nothing to do with the valve seat but is a test of the valve stem blow by, which will happen if the valve is open, closed or somewhere in between.

Quick Reply: Blowby and oil usage