24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Battery ground harness problem causing lift pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery ground harness problem causing lift pump failure?

Today, my fuel low pressure light came on, then the engine quit and wouldn't start. I'm wondering if the lift pump problem might have been caused by poor connections at the battery ground. There are three wires that come in to each of the battery grounds, and I never knew what they all were for.

I got the engine running again by doing the the following: I opened my fuel filter canister. I had decided it would was time anyway to change the filter. The canister was almost empty of fuel. I "jiggled" my ground wires at the battery cable connections. Someone had told me I needed to check these and maybe even buy a factory set for $100 apiece (sounds like a lot). Well, I found my connections needed some work (cleaning, tightening, etc). Anyway, I bumped the starter and the canister immediately filled with fuel and even overflowed to the ground. I then closed the fuel filter canister and was able to start the truck, with the low pressure light going out just like everything was okay.

So the bottom line is I think it's fixed, but I still don't know what could have caused me to lose pressure in the first place. Could it have been a bad battery ground on one of those six ground wires?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Thumbs up Maybe it was just low fuel.

After replacing the fuel filter, cleaning and reseating the battery grounds, I was still able to briefly replicate the malfunction. Here's how: On the way to get fill up the tank, I had to climb a hill. On the way up, I accelerated and the low pressure light came on. It didn't go off until I reached the top.

So....it looks like my problem was just low fuel in the tank. Never seen this problem before. I had a little less than 1/4 indicated. So, let's assume I only had 5 gallons in the tank. Shouldn't that be enough to still continue to allow drawing up to the lift pump?

Oh well, after fill-up it appears all is well now.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
second gen fuel sending units are known to read wrong or be faulty ,also a cracked pick up tube could be possible ,or how about a weak lift pump?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM

I talked to my neighbor who said he has worked on his tank a few times and lowered the "straw" to almost the very bottom of the tank. He suspects my straw is just a little too high so that with only 4-5 gallons in there a hill will make the fuel slosh away from the straw. This gives me a temporary interruption in fuel supply.

Once the tank was full I can now park my truck on a steep hill and it will run continuously. Before with it almost empty, I exhausted all the fuel in the fuel canister trying to idle on the same hill. Another lesson learned