24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Atf4

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Atf4

My owner's manual says to use ATF4 for my filter change on transmission. Auto parts stores only carry ATF3. Is this a fluid I have to get from dealer or does the dealer package ATF3 with an ATF4 label and charge you more?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:51 PM

Question Atf4

My owner's manual says to use ATF4.I can't seem to find this at the parts store. Is this a dealer only item or does the dealer package ATF3 in a bottle with an ATF4 label and charge you more? IS the ATF3 compatible with the Dodge transmission?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:05 PM

The dealer does have the ATF+4, it was about $24/gallon the last time I purchased it.

Amsoil has a "universal ATF" that is rated ATF+4. I'm not sure if there are any others that have released an ATF+4 yet or not...

Tony
Old 06-06-2004, 02:10 PM

If the manual says to use ATF+4 then that's what you must use. ATF+4 can be used in ATF+3 applications but not the other way around. So far real ATF+4 is a dealer-only item as far as I am aware. Following this post there will no doubt be recomendations for a host of 'ATF+4 compatible' one-size-fits-all miracle fluids, but none of these are approved by DC. Could be a conspiracy on DC's part, or maybe the 'universal' fluids aren't really an exact replacement for ATF+4... you will have to make your own determination on that point until someone comes out with an ATF+4 fluid that is truly approved by DC (vs. being 'approved' only by the maker of the product).
Old 06-06-2004, 02:36 PM

The ATF+4 is currently a dealer only item. Buy the one gallon jugs instead of one quart containers to save money.

As I understand, the ATF+4 has the same additives as ATF+3 but is made with a synthetic oil base.

If you have a 7yr/70,000 mile warrenty, use nothing but ATF+4, change on the recommended schedule, and save your receipts. Just a small insurance payment for Dodge to fix the tranny for 7 years or 70,000 miles.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:53 PM

ATF+4 is NOT a dealer only item. I buy it from Napa and Carquest at work all the time. If needed, I could check the brand tommorrow and get back to you.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by amartinson
ATF+4 is NOT a dealer only item. I buy it from Napa and Carquest at work all the time. If needed, I could check the brand tommorrow and get back to you.
Yes, if you wouldn't mind checking and reporting the brand because if correct that would be news. I have seen ATF+3 available in stores but never ATF+4. If you could verify that it really is ATF+4 and who makes it that would be helpful to everyone.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by smiller
Yes, if you wouldn't mind checking and reporting the brand because if correct that would be news. I have seen ATF+3 available in stores but never ATF+4. If you could verify that it really is ATF+4 and who makes it that would be helpful to everyone.
I agree totaly. If we could get ATF-4 without having to grab our ankles, by going to the __ealer, it would be helpful.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As of last week my local Napa said they can't get the +4
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM

My mistake guys, my Carquest guy is getting it for us, but he's getting it from Dodge. It is still a dealer only item.

I will spend the rest of my day extracting my cranium from my rectum after my other post.

Most of the synthetics are compatable with +4, (just to try to redeem myself a little bit).
Old 06-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATF+4

There is a difference between +3 and +4. If your tranny is stock - use ATF+4. There are some good reasons to do so.
Amsoils ATF formula is one of few after market trans fluids to meet ATF+4 specs, and is good stuff. I would say better than Dodge, which I believe is only blended synthetic.
The amsoil can be had for $5.60 @ qt (by the case) as a Preferred Customer ($10.00 for 6 months status).
Your choice what brand but do your stock tranny a favor and stick with ATF+4.
I am not an Amsoil Dealer...in fact they are a competitor.
Rowland
Old 06-07-2004, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all your input. I called dealer today and picked up a gallon for $16.50 and 1 quart for $4.35. There is a difference in dealer prices because one dealer quoted me a price of $27.50 a gallon and $7.20 a quart. Is that legal?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Re: ATF+4

Amsoils ATF formula is one of few after market trans fluids to meet ATF+4 specs]
The only entity that claims Amsoil Universal ATF is suitable for ATF+4 applications is Amsoil. Personally, it just doesn't make sense to me that one fluid could possibly substitute for just about every application since ATF formulations can be (and are) very different. I would stick with real ATF+4 until someone makes a DC-approved aftermarket product. Just MHO.
I called dealer today and picked up a gallon for $16.50 and 1 quart for $4.35. There is a difference in dealer prices because one dealer quoted me a price of $27.50 a gallon and $7.20 a quart. Is that legal?
The higher priced dealer is charging list price, the lower priced dealer seems to be giving you a discount. I think giving you a discount is legal.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smiller

I agree with you. In general, a one size fits all sounds like too much compromise. But in the case of Amsoils ATF it works because the major difference between ATF+3 and ATF+4 is more Friction Modifiers called for in ATF+4. The friction modifiers allow for more slippage when shifting. Dodges ELectronic Controllers are designed to work with this added slippage to create a minimum wear, smooth shifting trans.
Amsoil's formulations are not so different, IMO. They use a high quality additive Mfg and buy a pre-blended additive package. It is not their formulation but that of the additive Mfg. and is similar to many others buying from same source.
I would not use Amsoils ATF when ATF+3 is called for due to excess of F.M.'s. And I would not use it to replace Dexron III/Mercon 5 for same reason, even though it meets or exceeds specs. for those products. The problem is the "exceeds" part. More of an additive, like F.M. is not always the way to go...which gets back to the one size fits all, which is what I think makes you (and me also) uncomfortable.
Rowland
Old 06-08-2004, 02:52 PM

Hmmmm... I picked up 5 qt's of ATF+4 from a Weaver auto parts a couple weeks ago now (fluid swap for xfer case).... they had it on the shelf. Not so certain about the dealer only idea. But I did pay $4-5/qt.

Quick Reply: Atf4