24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ASAP!! Price of locknstitch on a 53 block in frame!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ASAP!! Price of locknstitch on a 53 block in frame!!

Hey i need an answer pretty urgently. I'm leaving saturday for school and noticed a 3" crack in my block last night. Found a place that will have it done in time but they quoted me 2750$ to do it (not due to time constraint but just to do it normally).

Reading posts i've heard under or around 1000$ anyone know of a place in central california that might do it cheaper? i can't find anyone else and would hate to blow school money on a **** repair like this.

Anyone do it themselves? I could, just would need tools. Any advice from experience would be great. Thanks in advance
TNutcher
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a outrageous price even for Cali. The proscess is pretty simple. The problem is access. You have to be able to get a drill bit to the block.
If I recall you drill a hole, and use the special tapered bolt withsealer . Screw it in a cetain distance and grind it off. Then repeat withanother drilled hole that overlaps the first. And on until get to end of crack. Then you grind it smooth.
The general opinion is the crack will elongate and bite you again, due to crossection of area.
Another ideal might be install a block sealer and slow down the leak enough to get around long enough to resolve in more reasonable manner. Don't waste that much money on a faulted repair. For that money you can buy a clunker and get around for a while.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the quick reply. I decided to skip that shop and try the repair myself if i can get ahold of the materials needed. This way, i figure if it happens again I can try it again or find out this is worthless and get a new block anyway with not much into the repair of this block. If this method does hold for a long time i suppose it will be a cheap repair of the condition and I will have gotten lucky! A new block would no doubt solve the problem but I don't have the time or money to do that right now. I do have a spare clunker to get around in for the time being, as i don't want this crack to spread but would still like to have a go at it myself and try it out.

Has anyone done it themselves and what types of pins were used and all materials used?? I was looking on the lock n stitch site and they have a plethora of choices... not sure which would be best. Thanks
TNutcher