24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

??Any ideas on what caused my breakdown??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??Any ideas on what caused my breakdown??

I have a 99 cummins which i just put a quadzilla xzillerator chip in. The other day I was drving along and i turned the module on level 2 stomped on it for probably a 1/4 mile and right around the point i let off or began to let off my truck died. I only had a little time to tinker and im no professional but i think my injection pump may have bit the big one....I have fuel at the water seperater... and a guy that was helping me cracked the injecters and said fuel should come out which i beleive and none did. Im hoping this turns out to be simple but i feel it wont be and i cant help but think that that module is the reason for my problem i guess i asked for it ....the truck always ran great till then although i felt that after i put the module in there was a hesitation or miss at times when i got on it occasionally .... i dont know anyone that has any ideas of what may have happened or if i should blame the module let me know please and thanx
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Thats exactly how my pump went. I'm not gonna say that that is your problem, but it looks to me that it is.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VP44's from 98 and 99 are particularly prone to failures soon after installation of a fueling box.

They tend to go TU within 20 miles of installation, or last years and years.

You seem to be lucky enough to have gotten the former instead of the latter.

Sorry for your loss.

phox
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Sounds like your vp died! Your vp was weak and when you added the Quad it finished it off! Get a new vp from a reputable rebuilder and you should be good for a long time. And make sure your fuel pump is working properly!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 PM

When i change the pump do you think the newer pump would handle the box just fine... ive heard they are built a lot better then when they were first being dropped in back then..... but i suppose ill replace my lift pump also and install a pressure gauge............and hope for the best
Old 03-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox99
When i change the pump do you think the newer pump would handle the box just fine... ive heard they are built a lot better then when they were first being dropped in back then..... but i suppose ill replace my lift pump also and install a pressure gauge............and hope for the best

Your new vp won't be worn and will work great with your Quad!
Make sure you get a quality rebuilt pump! They are not all equal.
Yes get fuel pressure gauge, none/very low pressure can damage your vp. no less than 6 wot -14 psi idle is sufficient.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:24 PM

I was considering a high performance pump from bosch but ive read that thats pointless when using a module..... who puts out the highest quality vp anywho.....I figure i will spend an extra couple hundred bucks to get the best i can
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox99
I was considering a high performance pump from bosch but ive read that thats pointless when using a module..... who puts out the highest quality vp anywho.....I figure i will spend an extra couple hundred bucks to get the best i can

Check your pm!