24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 3500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 3500 wont start

Doing regular service today I replaced the fuel filter and now I cant get it reprimed. I filled the canister before I put it back on and then loosned the banjo fitting on the canister housing. When i bump the key the lift pump comes on and runs for about 30 sec. but its not ever getting any fuel out of the fitting. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks AJ
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lift pump is probable bad they will run and not pump.
try and bump it 3/4 times if no fuel get a new pump
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weak or bad lift pump. If it is an OEM carter mounted on the engine junk it and buy a real pump and then mount it back by the fuel tank.

Don't forget the fuel pressure gauge to monitor the system so you don't end up like this again.

Lots of reading/information for you here on this site to help decide which pump is right for you.
Hopefully you did not damage your vp-44 injection pump.

PS- make sure you have fuel in your tank for the current pump to pull before you call it junk some people have run out of fuel do to a bad sending unit.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Also, it has gotten air in the pump, and you need to loosen 3 or more injector lines, crank it until fuel comes from them or it fires. Tighten the lines and it should restart.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 PM

it aways amazes me the amount of people that will tell to repace pumps when it ran ok till filter was replaced.get the air out of the system.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
it aways amazes me the amount of people that will tell to repace pumps when it ran ok till filter was replaced.get the air out of the system.
It's pretty common on 24 valves that the lift pump will fail and the truck will keep running fairly well on just whatever the injection pump can suck up from the tank. Then, once you open the system to change the filter, the prime is lost and there is no way to bleed the system because there is no fuel pressure to push the air out. That's when you discover that the lift pump has been inoperative for who knows how long.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 PM

If you read his post he say's he filled the filter and bumped key + pump ran for 30 seconds with NO fuel output

That presents 2 choices A= he is out of fuel or B= the pump has failed !

You have to get the fuel system full before you will need to even attempt to get the air out.

I have never had to crack an injector line yet on my 99 for a filter change or even after installing a pump at the tank and new lines up to the filter. Open line or plug at the filter run the pump to fill the system, close and then start it up. By the way it has over 200k on it so it has had a few filter changes.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys I'll check the pump today. Any advice for a replacement?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=AKingdon;2899965]Thanks for the info guys I'll check the pump today. Any advice for a replacement?[/QUOTE

Don't waste your time with another carter (oem)

I have an walbro model 392 mounted on the inside of the frame in front of the tank with a spin on pre filter before it that also has a water drain. You would also need to plumb in a return circuit if you use this pump due to it's high output.

As i said before do some reading on this site, lot's of information and pictures to help you decide what is right for you.

#1 priority get a fuel pressure gauge on it !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM

I replaced my lift pump about 6 years ago. Here is a url to the exact pump I replaced my with. 6 years ago it was $89 but it's $125 now. Bolts directly to the factory bracket on the block. The original pump was also made by Carter. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4601HP/
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM

I never really read up on here how to bleed the air from my fuel system after changing a fuel filter. I've been a wheeled vehicle mechanic for the army for 13 years and, on our older equipment, we just crack an injector line (after filling the filter housing with ATF--I don't personally do this!) and bump the starter a few times. And, that's how I've always done my Dodge. I can crack the line on the No. 1 cylinder, takes about 4-6 cycles of the lift pump, and voila! Fuel at the injector. Tighten it back down, fire the truck up and happy motoring.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by utvaquero
I never really read up on here how to bleed the air from my fuel system after changing a fuel filter. I've been a wheeled vehicle mechanic for the army for 13 years and, on our older equipment, we just crack an injector line (after filling the filter housing with ATF--I don't personally do this!) and bump the starter a few times. And, that's how I've always done my Dodge. I can crack the line on the No. 1 cylinder, takes about 4-6 cycles of the lift pump, and voila! Fuel at the injector. Tighten it back down, fire the truck up and happy motoring.
Don't put ATF in the fuel system at ANY time. Many years ago some of the old timers thought it was a good thing to do HOWEVER the composition of ATF has drastically changed in the last 20 years. It now contains chemicals that do not burn and friction modifiers to dampen slippage in the transmission.

These new additives essentially are abrasive in nature since they do not breakdown and do nasty things to high pressure fuel systems and the newer high pressure injectors. If you are going to put ATF in a high pressure fuel system, you might as well go ahead and toss in a handful of sand and grit while you are at it......it will pretty much achieve the same end results.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

he said he did not use atf
Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 PM

The VP44 trucks will run fine till you change filter and then you discover your lift pump isn't working. He DOES need a lift pump. We see this all the time. He is lucky he hasn't trashed his injector pump. You don't have air at the injectors yet if he cant get the filter to prime.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Got a Raptor 100 and put it in last night. WOW what a difference it made it seems like a whole new truck now. Im beginning to think the pump was bad since i bought the truck in July.

Quick Reply: 99 3500 wont start