24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE Stuck in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE Stuck in first gear

I have a 2000 Ram 2500 (diesel of Course) mostly stock.
124,000 and 47RE Trans. Yesterday just pulling a jeep on a trailer, pulling out the trans would not shift out of first...let off the pedal and tried again...nothing. Eventually got it to go into 2nd but slipped into 1st again. Took it easy in 2nd and finally 3rd and 4th (having probs going into lock-up)
took it to my shop and dropped the pan...ooooo....fluid alright but lots of metal and clutch material...Changed the gov. pressure sensor (reading not good) along with the transducer and filter (also cleaned the output speed sensor). A clean pan and new fluid, still the same. Tried to reset the APPS, but did not help. I realize With the mileage it's prob time for a trans. but has anyone ever ran across this? could it be something i am missing? (also no DTCs) Please Help
Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 PM

I am kind of in the same situation as you, except that i have a DTT 47re trans. Over the weekend mine did not want to shift out of first gear either, it would just rev up to 3K plus rpms and not shift. I pulled over and shut it down and restarted it and it worked fine. It did it to me twice over the weekend and everytime i shut it down and restarted it and it worked fine. I called the guy that built the trans and he said that 90% of the time it is the vehicle speed sensor that is the problem. It is towards the back of the trans and on the drivers side and you will need a 1" wrench. When you got yours to finally shift, did you hear any funny screaching noises? I think i hear mine do that, but it have just been my imagination. Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM

I should try the speed sensors, cheapest first right?...I tried to shut it down but still does the same thing...
Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JIWright
I should try the speed sensors, cheapest first right?...I tried to shut it down but still does the same thing...
I had a jeep do the same thing it was the speed sensor. 40 bucks later it was fine. The tip which is a magnet was covered in micro shavings.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:47 AM

CTD2001-I just had this happen to me 20 min ago, embarrassing because I was trying to back into a parking spot at work and nobody could get around me. I could not get it out of 1st and shut it down. I looked under the hood not sure why....thinking the clutch is going out? (201K) I have had no indication of clutch problems before this. When I started it back up I was able to take it out of 1st and put in in rev to park it and let all the other vehicles get by.

My problem is I have a 5 speed manuel so I am wondering if it is the clutch or someing in the tranny?

Any other thoughts are welcome....
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM

Hydraulic issue!??

Ok since last post I have figured out it must be either the slave cylinder or the master cylinder. I just need to know how to tell which one??

Also need to know best way to replace either one, if there is something to do or not to do when I start taking them off.

If I put it in gear at a light and hold the clutch down after 6 to 10 seconds it engages in gear and I have to let it out or kill the motor to get it out. Other than that it still shifts fine going down the hwy.

Any advice or pix would be great!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 PM

recently went thru this exact same scenario...bought a new APPS (ouch)..reset it a bunch of times...did no good....Called Bill K at DTT...he suggested the Gov solenoid, senser, and speed senser...btut before I changed that to check my pressures...being somewhat lazy, and not wanting to buy another tool...I went to the Dodge dealer and bought said parts...pulled the pan, and had metal shavings, plus clutch lining....right then I should have taken to the trans shop and had them do the rebuild....but , Nooooo...I put in the parts and all was well for a coupla days, then the same symptons....so off to the trans shop...complete rebuild, plus they also put in said above parts because they had metal shavings in them now.....so don't do as I did....take the thing in and have it rebuilt....you'll be big money ahead...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Well i went through the options with the trans...took down the pan again, found the 1-2 band to be out of adjustment by alot. adjusted up to specs and drove...and shifted nicely, just has a mushy 1-2 but i can live with it I just won't strain it too much. It prbably will happen again so i'll drop the trans and put the band in and the torqe converter.

thnaks for your help
Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 AM

essetting apps fixed it

1999 auto. after changing fluid, filter and adjusting bands was no help for my shifting problem. then i read a post from Puke about the apps. so i re-set and fixed!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JIWright
I have a 2000 Ram 2500 (diesel of Course) mostly stock.
124,000 and 47RE Trans. Yesterday just pulling a jeep on a trailer, pulling out the trans would not shift out of first...let off the pedal and tried again...nothing. Eventually got it to go into 2nd but slipped into 1st again. Took it easy in 2nd and finally 3rd and 4th (having probs going into lock-up)
took it to my shop and dropped the pan...ooooo....fluid alright but lots of metal and clutch material...Changed the gov. pressure sensor (reading not good) along with the transducer and filter (also cleaned the output speed sensor). A clean pan and new fluid, still the same. Tried to reset the APPS, but did not help. I realize With the mileage it's prob time for a trans. but has anyone ever ran across this? could it be something i am missing? (also no DTCs) Please Help

well from all the crap i had to deal with this tranny ive mastered it kinda... the speed at which the transmission shifts is depended apon your speed sensor.. also if you rec the engine to hard without shifting into the next gear the valve body can malfunction and cause the bands to slip inside the truck due to the exteremely high preassure build up from not shifting to release the preassure.. mine did this when i was manually shift the trans during towing and i destroyed one of the bands and the band was shaved into small peaces which collected into the bottom of the pan.........there is so much but the speed sensor is the main thing to try first then gov sensor and then take the valve body apart and check the check ***** to see if there functionall... mine flattened one of the ***** and pushed it through one of the little holes......so i had to replace the valve body also.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM

dont be afraid to rebuild the tranny yourself.. its really really simple.. buy a service book for the transmission and the guide in the book is really awsome and in detail via pictures..... i built the entire tranny and upgraded all the internals to bullet items and spent less then 900.00 on the trans and 1200 on the converter from goerend bros...