24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

40 psi on stock HY35?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:40 psi on stock HY35?

I have been running over 40 psi from my HY35 for over a year now. And nothing has blown up, there are no explosion dents in the Larry B shield, and there are no turbo parts in the exhaust system.<br><br>I have run back to back runs on a certain hill on the freeway on the same day both directions [to correct for any effects from wind] to test what the difference is between 32psi wastegated boost, and a plugged wastegate giving full available boost. This test was run with set points to floor the throttle, and set points to check the attained speed.<br><br>When running 32 psi boost, the speed of the truck at the top of the hill was slower and the egt's were higher by over 150*. With the wastegate plugged, the speed at the top of the hill was higher [90 mph vs 96mph], and the egt was 150* lower.<br><br>I ran these runs back to back on the same day so there were as few variables as possible. My conclusions:<br><br>More boost will create more power, if there is fuel to burn, if there is no more fuel to burn, then there will be no more boost to drive the turbo to higher boost levels [it is self limiting]<br><br>More boost will reduce egt's even though the higher pressure will create higher intake temperatures. More air, [even if hotter air] will reduce egt's<br><br>And:<br><br>Compressed air is hotter because the molecules are more densely packed, and the heat is the friction caused by molecules battering against each other. Just check a shop air compressor sometime, the air is hot because the molecules have been jambed togther. They are not less dense, how can compressed air be less dense? And the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen doesn't change just because you compress it, the ratio stays the same, and the amount of oxygen in a given cubic foot of air will still be about 20% whether the air is compressed or not.<br><br>All in all, if your engine can drive the HY to 40 psi, I'd just use the boost, why wastegate it if it is giving lower egt's? I don't care about effeciency maps, I care about engine performance. I have proven to myself that more boost is good. There are quite a few HY and HX turbos running 40-45 psi on a daily basis and none have blown up that I'm aware of.<br><br>B1 turbos are not wastegated, and they don't seem to be exploding, granted they are built to be tough.<br><br>Tie down your waste gate and have fun! Greg L
Old 10-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Banned

Yeah. Well I only hit 40 once and only for a sec. Most of the time now it maxes at 35 and then goes down to about 32. My EGT's are really low though. Almost to low. I know the probe is good cause I just changed it. I'm going to check my connections once I get the truck back (in shop for new fuel pump 0@WOT and 8@idle). What would happen if I didn't put a clamp on there and jsut used 18 psi with the comp in EZ mode? Lots of smoke and no go?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:35 PM

LsFarm,<br> Your turbo has been worked on. Better oiling, balanced, what else? I wouldn't want to push it that hard.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:19 PM

Greg,<br>Like has been said, yours is not the &quot;run of the mill&quot; HY.<br><br>Blue,<br>What dealership you taking it to?<br><br>Andrew
Old 10-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Banned

Taking it to Archer Dodge in Stafford, Texas. About 15 min from home. Good dealership. My service guy left though. :'( He was the best. I took the truck in one time cause my mirrors were shaking. The guy that wrote me up said it was cause of the tires. Took it in later for the same thing and this guy (name was Rusty) didn't give me any grief at all. Turns out there was some internal damage. I'm working with Jean (I think that's his name) and he seems pretty cool. Told him I needed the truck by Thurs. afternoon and he said no prob. Diesel mechanic wasn't in yest. (daughter went to the hospital).
Old 10-09-2002, 04:41 PM

They need it Monday through Thursday to change a lift pump? Sheesh..........
Old 10-09-2002, 04:58 PM

[quote author=KatDiesel link=board=4;threadid=5553;start=15#50496 date=1034199678]
They need it Monday through Thursday to change a lift pump? Sheesh..........
[/quote]

Is that right??? Holy smokes!!!

Well seeing as how they have to go over it with a fine tooth comb to find anything that might void out the warrenty, maybe it's about right. &gt;

I took my truck there once, and they seemed a little too busy to even look at me so I left. Too bad too as it's about 10 minutes from me.

Good Luck to ya,
Andrew
Old 10-09-2002, 08:32 PM

Hi Stake, Hi Andrew, I didn't install my 'Piers Nasty Nine' until just before Muncie this year. So I was running my factory-issue HY35 at whatever boost my fueling could push it to from October 2001 until June 2002.<br><br>I was seeing 32-35 psi with EZ and BD1 injectors, and then 40-48ish psi with comp and BD3's. I'm sure I will be making a lot more power with a PDR hx40 when I recieve it and get it installed. But in the meantime I let the HY create whatever it will make. <br><br>I don't run 40+ psi ever day, in fact I don't turn the comp up to 5x5 but maybe every week or two. I run at 2x2 setting most of the time, and can see 35-40 psi peak at this fueling level. I'm still running BD3's for everyday driving.<br><br>If a person is concerned about this much boost, then set it up to wastegate at 40 or so, that is better than the extra 100*+ egt that using only 32psi will give you.<br><br>What I'm saying is that yes the HY isn't meant to be making 40+ psi, but is not a reason to panic, they can take it . If a person is running so much fueling to create 40+ psi all the time, then they will probably have a melt down from excessive egt's before the HY grenades. <br><br>Greg L<br>
Old 10-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Banned

[quote author=TxDieselKid link=board=4;threadid=5553;start=15#50505 date=1034200686]<br>[quote author=KatDiesel link=board=4;threadid=5553;start=15#50496 date=1034199678]<br>They need it Monday through Thursday to change a lift pump? Sheesh..........<br>[/quote]<br><br> Is that right??? Holy smokes!!! <br><br>Well seeing as how they have to go over it with a fine tooth comb to find anything that might void out the warrenty, maybe it's about right. &gt; <br><br>I took my truck there once, and they seemed a little too busy to even look at me so I left. Too bad too as it's about 10 minutes from me.<br><br>Good Luck to ya,<br>Andrew<br>[/quote]<br><br>TX where ya live man? I live in Sugar Land. Dad works at Texas Instruments. Usually they are pretty good but they just lost my business (read my post STEALERS in the other forum).<br><br>I left it on Mon. afternoon. Guy said his mechanic wouldn't be in till Tues. morning. I said cool. He called me back tues. morning and said the mechanics little girl went into the hospital so he wouldn't be back till Wed. That is why it has been there. Then this whole warranty thing the guy tried to lay on me.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:47 AM

Greg, <br>Havn't heard from you in a while on TDR, don't blame ya really. <br><br>Blue,<br>I'm at 59s @ the Gessner exit. Less then a mile down from that.<br><br>Andrew
Old 10-10-2002, 05:20 AM

after &quot;enhancements&quot; i was getting max of 38 PSI consistently out of my HY. put in the strongest spring i could find in the J-hook set up, and getting 32 PSI max now. greg, you're about to talk me into the solid turnbuckle, again!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

That's what I've got on mine. The solid turnbuckle.<br><br>Hey Tx., we need to hook up sometime. Swap stories and stuff.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:20 PM

Hi Herb, if you don't have high EGT's then I'd leave the current setup alone. You were seeing around 1200*<br> if I remember correctly. You will not see any more power with more boost since you are not running a fueling<br>box. Decide on a date to come north yet??<br><br>Hi Andrew, I've been very busy with training and upgrade at work, farm work, and projects. I do check out the sites<br>usually every day. I just don't post all that often, too busy to do the follow up posts, and I get a lot of inquires about <br>noise reduction via email anyway. This site seems very ssllloooowww, even when I'm on DSL, or Cable ISP, so I<br> come here less often.<br><br>Later, Greg L the noise ****
Old 10-13-2002, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This site seems very ssllloooowww, even when I'm on DSL, or Cable ISP, so I
come here less often.
Hey greg, I just noticed your post. I'm curious what kind of problem you're seeing. Is it slow LOADING, or slow on initial page delivery? The reason I ask is because yours is the first complaint about speed I've ever had.

Currently, the site has more than 350mbps of bandwidth connected to three Tier 1 backbones, directly.

The machine it's currently running on is a Dual 1.6ghz pentium 4 with 1GB memory. According to my logs, page delivery is usually accomplished within 0.01 to 1 or 2 seconds consistently, which is good. On dialup or cable, it's lightning fast for me no matter what part of the country I'm in.

I was wondering if you have any traceroutes or anything you could send me so I could check and see what's going on.

Thanks.

Jack
Old 10-15-2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

Jack mine loads extremely quick. Even on a crappy computer with a dial-up connection. By the way, I like the new buttons and all. Pretty slick with the blue in some of em.

Quick Reply: 40 psi on stock HY35?