24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

#3 fuel injection line broke

Old 05-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#3 fuel injection line broke

This would normally just get changed and forgotten but this has happened twice to me on the same line. The first time it happened was over a year ago while pulling my 32 ft travel trailer. I was cruising at around 2000 RPM on the tack and the road was level for the most part. No funny noises or vibrations but I felt like I wasn't keeping up with the wife and her speed changes as well as I had during the first 8 hours of our trip. Pulled over, popped hood and watched the fuel sprsy. Found it to be the nurled fitting at the injector tubed had cracked. I replaced it. The truck had just over 100k on it. This time I was unloaded and doing about the same speed and rpm's. I smelt fuel and noticed some smoke behind me. Fuel smell would come and go along with the wisps of white colored smoke. Figured it might be the OTR in front of me. Pulled over just in case and found the injector line broke again. I have just over 200k now and she usually runs great. I do not have any real mods to speak of yet and cannot figure this one out. I believe it to be a vibration problem and looked at a buddy's truck to see where his blue rubber clamps where positioned. I had one in a different spot, so I changed to his positions. His truck has never been touched and mine had, so went with his line up. Anyone had or heard of this 3# line braking.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
What year truck?

Edit after a member search

It's a 2001.

Did you replace the injector tube & the line?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:09 AM

Sorry for the lack of information. Yes it is a 2001 dually with the 6 speed. I replaced it and everything is going fine thus far. I drove it real hard on a 6 hour trip yesterday and will make the return trip tomorrow. I just hate having the feeling that a 66$ part could have me stranded again or that I need to add that to my laundry list of spare parts. Seems like my truck needs a new delivery pump every 90 to 100k and the front wheel hubs are about the same. So far I am still on the original injectors and high PSI pump. The injectors will be replaced soon hopefully but I am hoping the pump lasts for alittle while longer. I have factory exhaust, original clutch and thus far no problems with those. I would like to improve all around but can't justify truck parts over what the family needs. Sooner or later......... Thanks for the reply on such an uncommon problem. I had hoped that a bunch of people would jump on this and give me the solution. I will be calling the cummins people to see what they have seen or heard.

ooops, I did not replace the tube. Didn't think I would need to. I would love to hear why you asked about it though.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:52 AM

you dont need to replace the connector tube , but you need to check out if your missing vibration isolators , it is not common at all for injection lines to fail , and usually it is because of missing isolators.