24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2nd Generation problems clarification from Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Generation problems clarification from Cummins.

I sent Cummins an email regarding the "53" block and "KDP" issue with the 2nd generation trucks. I just received a reply and wanted to share it with everyone who is interested.

The response is as follows:

Thanks for your Email message.

Cummins suggests that owners follow the recommendations in the Dodge Owners manual and Cummins Operation & Maintenance manual and use quality filters and fluids, and operate the engine in accordance with our recommendations. There are many publications on the Internet about cracked engine blocks with casting number 53. Many of these publications have no statistical data and may or may not be accurate.

Daimler-Chrysler warrants Dodge Ram pickup trucks, which includes the diesel engine. There have been no field action or recalls issued from Dodge or Cummins on engine blocks. Block failures are very, very rare and a very small percentage of the engines supplied to Dodge. If a Dodge truck starts to require coolant to be added on a regular basis, the owner should have it checked out by the Dodge dealer, to determine the reason for coolant loss.

Cummins designs and supplies the Cummins 6B5.9 and ISB 24-Valve turbo diesel engines to DaimlerChrysler. However, DaimlerChrysler warrants the diesel engine and truck completely, as a package unit. Cummins, Inc. and authorized Service Providers cannot provide warranty coverage on Dodge Ram trucks powered with Cummins diesel engines.

For assistance with Dodge Ram truck issues, Dodge requires a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for vehicle identification (i.e., model, year, build plant, etc.). Always have your VIN number available when requesting assistance with your Dodge vehicle.

When bringing a Dodge truck to a Dodge dealer for warranty service, you may also wish to verify that the service department is availing themselves of the diesel technician troubleshooting assistance that is available to Dodge dealers by way of their S.T.A.R. Hotline. Dodge dealers may call the DaimlerChrysler Hotline for technical assistance.

Customers should call Dodge Customer Service Hotline (800-992-1997) for assistance.

There are no dowel pin issues with 24 valve engines. You can't always believe what you read on various websites. The old gear cases will not work on 24 valve engines. The VP44 injection pumps will not bolt up for on them. Older engines would not work in trucks made for ISB engines for various reasons. The dowel pins can not physically come out of 24 valve engines.

We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. Please let us know if you need assistance in locating the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider. For assistance in locating a Service Provider, feel free to use Cummins North America Dealer Locator, which can be found on Cummins website:
http://www.cummins.com/service_locator/index.cfm

Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) at 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357).

Email direct: powermaster@cummins.com

Regards,
--
Powermaster
Customer Assistance Center
Cummins, Inc.
Columbus, Indiana, USA
Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolent loss

GEE mine has been loosing coolent since new and it is well documented to and they couldn't tell me where it was gong to do you think that they can spell INEPT!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Did you honestly expect a different response from Cummins?

Yes, its very rare - yet we have a member here that has PERSONALLY had TWO cracked blocks.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:15 PM

To be honest, I'm not looking for an argument over this "beat to death" topic. I was merely posting the response from Cummins. I thought it might help others make a decision for themselves. After hearing all the horror stories on this forum, I thought going to the source would clarify the issue ... obviously not!

They also clarified the "KDP" issue. I have heard that talked about in this forum, too! Old timing covers being mixed with the new covers ... what??? The Cummins representative appeared adamant the dowel pins are secure ... quote:

"The old gear cases will not work on 24 valve engines. The VP44 injection pumps will not bolt up for on them. Older engines would not work in trucks made for ISB engines for various reasons. The dowel pins can not physically come out of 24 valve engines"

... but I guess that too unbelievable too!

For those interested in what Cummins have to say, I hope this information helped.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Who is argueing?? I am merely trying to get you to see that these problems are FAR more common than you tend to think or believe:

Have a look at owalstib's post here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&pagenumber=2

Another #53 victim....
Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
"may or may not be accurate."
Sounds just like something the government would say.
Why don't they just come out and say they really don't know?