24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for fixing my speelin

Thanks, sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital. Hope all is well.

I expect my part to get in before Christmas, putting in the FASS DDRP, any tips on that? I am looking for videos tonight if I find any good ones I will post up here on the forum.

I appreciate the help...next thing I will be doing to truck is painting and then working on the engine some more...been thinking about diesel nitrous kit.

I will be looking for insight on those too. Don't want to get animal just looking for a kick in horsepower if I need it...or spin the wheels when some DA gives me crap about my man Cadillac... :-)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 PM

Good video for replacement of pump with FASS DDRP

Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 PM

oops wrong low pressure fuel pump not the DR02 it's in the tank?

I thought I saw and heard the fuel pump running, apparently, there was an echo from rear of truck, the fuel pump looks like it is in the tank. I ordered the FASS DR02 (DRP) and planned to install this weekend. Turns out there is only a bracket where I thought the pump was to be installed at and not a pump mounted there on the bracket.

So the question is there a different fuel pump in the tank that I need to replace and return the FASS DR02 or should I use both of them?

I wish I would have lowered my phone down on the side of the engine before I ordered the FASS DR02 pump. I am going to call Downward Automotive the folks I purchased it through Amazon Prime.

Happy Trucking...
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 PM

Ok, FASS DR02 (DRP) not totally a bad decision

Ok so here is what I found looking around on this forum. Apparently, there is an upgrade that puts the fuel pump into the tank. Of course, since I purchased the FASS DR02 my truck has been upgraded...hmmm.

See this article:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...nfused-289295/

So here are my two concerns, maybe some of you super smart guys could chime in that would be great. :-)

Oops Factor:
1. Looks like I can use the FASS DR02 pump and mount on side of engine. I can put a draw straw into the tank to allow FASS DR02 to draw fuel out of the tank with the DRP pump part. It also appears like I will be ok by putting a hole into the tank, then installing a draw straw, and hook up the fuel line to the draw straw that feeds the DR02 pump.

What is the best solution:
2. I see there are a few comments see link above.
2a. In order to replace the pump in the tank, I have to drop the tank or pull the bed....hmm.
2b. I can install a draw straw and install the FASS DR02 up near motor.
2c. Installing the DR02 looks like it will be a challenge.

Wiring:
3. The FASS sounds like it gives much better pressure to the high-pressure pump, VP44 I believe it is looking like the best solution. Since the injection pump is a really expensive repair I have seen lots of good comments about the FASS DRP DR02 for the repair.
3a. if I install the in-tank pump I will need to drop the tank pull the bed and get to keep the current wiring
3b. if I install the FASS DR02 and connect that pump to what? I saw some wires that look like they are on a connector on side of fuel filter?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
It has been a while since I removed the devils harness from a 24 valve, but I seem to recall simply unplugging the "upgrade" wiring from the original wiring up front and plugging the pump back in. The worst part about taking it back was having to drop the tank to replace the module ( this was before I knew about the draw straw ).

I personally HATE the factory approved in tank pump "upgrade", to me it made a simple 15 minute by the side of the road repair into a much more complicated, expensive procedure.

I guess you know which solution I prefer.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM

2001 Ram diesel 2500

Originally Posted by Roger Swanson
I was given this truck by my late father, he loved the diesel and always bragged about his truck. In the last couple years he has not driven the truck much. I just started driving and noticed a delay in the acceleration, lots of notes online about that. I figured out how to get the error coded by turning off and on ignition twice and then leave ignition on. Found the following error codes, not sure what all these codes mean?
P ECU - not sure what this one is about
P 0216 - Fuel injection pump timing
P 0234 - Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded
P 1693 - DTC detected in ECM or PCM
error code explanation found here:
Chrysler 96-01 Generic OBD2 ? OBD/OBD2 Trouble Codes

So all of these error codes sort of has me freaking out? I am reasonably mechanical is there something I can do to clear these or parts that commonly go bad to be looking at? I spoke to one diesel tech but he works on larger trucks he said could be an ERG valve?

Any advice would be great. I think found a good mechanic, my Dad lived in Fort Myers, Fl and took the truck to the Dodge dealer several times and still had troubles he told me that the truck always had trouble but once it warmed up it ran fine. I have found that to be the case most times, I saw a post on a forum that said drive the truck and don't baby it. If I just warm up the truck for 3-5min and jump in and floor it the truck seems to run fine. I had to make a 3 hour trip the other day and on the interstate it hesitated after driving for 1.5 hours.

With all the bad talk about the Dodge RAM cummins acceleration problems I was not sure what to do. I hope to get with the diesel mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks for having this forum to chat about my truck.
HI I am thinking about buying a used 2001 ram diesel 2500 with over 240,000 miles on it. The dealership is selling for $9300 . Do you think that is a good deal?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Murphy
HI I am thinking about buying a used 2001 ram diesel 2500 with over 240,000 miles on it. The dealership is selling for $9300 . Do you think that is a good deal?
2wd or 4wd, reg cab or ex cab, auto or manual 5 or 6 speed, rear discs or drums, trim level? all good questions that make a difference, but that seems like a lot even in Canadian money. 2001 2wd pickups with 400,000km about the same in miles as yours going for $6500 Canadian.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
2wd or 4wd, reg cab or ex cab, auto or manual 5 or 6 speed, rear discs or drums, trim level? all good questions that make a difference, but that seems like a lot even in Canadian money. 2001 2wd pickups with 400,000km about the same in miles as yours going for $6500 Canadian.
Thanks Busboy. I don't think I will go for the buy. The first time I went there they had trouble getting it started. It most likely needs more than new batteries too. Plus, the truck is being sold "as is" and not "certified" so you know it will need much maintenance in the future.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:13 AM

ok guys, sorry for not posting in a while, had to get parts in and install new AirDog-II 4g filter and pump. I have a GlowFuel pressure gauge so I can watch the fuel pressure all the time.

The install was a bit more work than I had planned on doing but the end result was my fuel pressure is now at 25psi and not 5psi, I have to check with the AirDog support folks I thought my pressure for the VP44 was supposed to be around 20psi. There is an adjustment on the pump, at it's lowest setting is 25psi.

So the Cummins engine is still acting weird when I first start it up when I start rolling down the road the truck does not seem to have power still, after about 1/2 mile of driving the turbo seems to be acting normally and pulling a lot stronger now that I have good fuel pressure.

I just got it on the road yesterday afternoon so I am going to check the codes. Once the truck starts running good there does not seem to be a problem just when I initially start driving, engine runs great after 1/2 mile of driving.

Question:
1. Where should I look next or do I just say screw it and wait for it to be consistent in order to track down what the heck is going on at start up?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Found a great resource on how the fuel system works...guy at BlueChip Diesel, sounds like he has a great handle on all of this, reading his article now...

I am going to give this guy a call.

https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html
Old 01-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
25 PSI is too much for the VP.