24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

I was given this truck by my late father, he loved the diesel and always bragged about his truck. In the last couple years he has not driven the truck much. I just started driving and noticed a delay in the acceleration, lots of notes online about that. I figured out how to get the error coded by turning off and on ignition twice and then leave ignition on. Found the following error codes, not sure what all these codes mean?
P ECU - not sure what this one is about
P 0216 - Fuel injection pump timing
P 0234 - Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded
P 1693 - DTC detected in ECM or PCM
error code explanation found here:
Chrysler 96-01 Generic OBD2 ? OBD/OBD2 Trouble Codes

So all of these error codes sort of has me freaking out? I am reasonably mechanical is there something I can do to clear these or parts that commonly go bad to be looking at? I spoke to one diesel tech but he works on larger trucks he said could be an ERG valve?

Any advice would be great. I think found a good mechanic, my Dad lived in Fort Myers, Fl and took the truck to the Dodge dealer several times and still had troubles he told me that the truck always had trouble but once it warmed up it ran fine. I have found that to be the case most times, I saw a post on a forum that said drive the truck and don't baby it. If I just warm up the truck for 3-5min and jump in and floor it the truck seems to run fine. I had to make a 3 hour trip the other day and on the interstate it hesitated after driving for 1.5 hours.

With all the bad talk about the Dodge RAM cummins acceleration problems I was not sure what to do. I hope to get with the diesel mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks for having this forum to chat about my truck.

Last edited by Lary Ellis (Top); 12-20-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to DTR!

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I can shed some light on your codes. Our trucks, the 1998½ to 2002 Rams, have 2 computers. The Cummins ECM and the Dodge PCM. The ECM runs the engine, and the PCM controls the automatic transmission and the auxiliary functions on the truck like the A/C, alternator, instrument cluster, etc.

When you do the key trick, P ECU tells you that the codes that follow P ECU are from the ECM. The odometer can't make an "M" on the display, so it uses the letter "U". After showing the ECM codes, it will say P DONE, but don't stop there because after that comes any codes in the PCM. The display will show P PCU, and then any codes, and then P DONE. After the codes are all done, then the odometer will revert to showing the current mileage and the test is done. If there are no codes for either ECM or PCM, the display will show a row of dashes (----------).

Ok, so your codes. P ECU is not a code, so no problem there.

P 0216 is telling you that the injection pump cannot achieve full timing for at least five seconds. A lot of times this is caused by a weak or failed lift pump. The lift pump is an electric fuel pump mounted on the drivers side of the engine, and its job is to pull diesel from the fuel tank and feed the injection pump. The original pump had a limited life due to it's design, and mounting location. Only way to know if this is a problem is with a fuel pressure guage. the P 0216 code can indicate a failing injection pump, but that's only after ruling out any problems with the lift pump.

P0234 - This just means the turbo boost pressure exceeded 22 PSI at some point, and ECM cut back on the fuel being injected to bring the boost pressure back to within programmed limits. This is not a bad code, but could indicate a failing Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor if it keeps coming back.

P 1693 - This is known as the "companion code". And this is because we have two computers, the ECM and PCM. This code just means the same fault was seen by both computers. This code does not point to any particular problem or fault.

I am inclined to think you may have fuel supply issues, likely caused by the lift pump. These trucks (the 2nd gen 24 Valve), are sensitive to fuel supply problems, and can have weird issues at times because of it.

Your truck does not have an EGR valve.

I don't think a mechanic is needed yet. I recommend installing a fuel pressure gauge, and then we'll be able to point you in a good direction for what to fix. We have a sharp bunch of guys here on DTR, and we'll help you!
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (11-24-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could the 0216 indicate low fuel delivery pressure caused by a bad fuel filter?

If so, and if the truck has set for a while, the fuel turned sour and its time to replace the filter.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 AM

Hey thanks for the great advice,

The answer to the fuel pressure question seems to be bittersweet... :-) So the pressure was much lower than I expected I think the recommended is definitely more that around 8psi. Should it be around 22psi? I had less than 10PSI. So which part is responsible for the pressure to the fuel filter.

Thanks again, the Glow Fuel 30psi gauge is what I installed above the steering column. I put that gauge there because I think I will put the pyro, transmission temp, and boost pressure on a triple gauge pack on the door frame to the left of the driver seat.

Sooo, now what?

Thanks for the help,
R
Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Glad you're keeping up with your dads love of the truck

BTW, when you internet search for ideas regarding issues you're having, you might want to spell Cummins without a "G" in it. Might get better results.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Swanson (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 AM

I replaced the fuel filter and installed the Glow Fuel 30psi gauge.

Air Lock, so I found out the hard way about this issue of getting a diesel air locked...lol
I found a great YouTube video that made the task a quick fix, found the small spring loaded connector by the high-pressure pump, kicked on the key and got the pump running, let the fuel run for a few minutes, had to crack open a couple of the tubes going to the injectors, turned over the truck a few times, tightened down the high pressure side and after a few turns of the starter the ole' truck started right up.

I seriously love these forums and youtube to give me some direction with quick results.

Thanks,
R
Old 12-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks, I want to fix this ole' girl up nice and then get it painted. I like the fact I am in the same seat as my Pop, its like taking a part of him around town with me.

So I need to fix this fuel pressure thing, any advice? I am concerned about driving it around and damaging something in the fuel system, should I be worried?

Thanks,
R
Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Ok so you know I am new to this diesel stuff sorry to spell the name of the engine wrong...lol

Oops, should b Cummins and not Cummings... :-) hope I have not offended any of you die hard diesel guys/gals out there.

Thanks for the help,
R
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM

BTW, I put in the gauge but the snubber valve did not fit, will the gauge still read correctly? I am going to call Glow Fuel on Monday when they open. When I was installing the banjo bolt and the sensor and the snubber was so long it hit the frame.

R
Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 AM

fass ddrp?

found some good information in this video:
Old 12-18-2016, 09:34 AM

ok, so I ordered the FASS DDRP Fuel Pump For 1998.5-2002 Cummins 5.9L (Diesel Direct Replacement Pump) from Amazon for $249, and also got the BD Diesel Performance 1081133 Amber Low Pressure Led Alarm Kit for $78

Hope this solves it.

:-)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
What's your fuel pressure reading?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 AM

well? how did the fix go?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM

Fuel pressure reading

The pressure was low between 6-7psi. I decided not to drive the truck until I got the new FASS DDRP in, with the holidays upon us I don't expect it in until next week. Amazon has been really accurate with delivery times, supposed to be in before end of this week.

I purchased the FASS pump because there were reviews on the AirDog that did not look good. Saw a youtube video and lots of good comments about the FASS DDRP so ordered it.

I also got a low-pressure red light as a back up to the 30psi fuel pressure gage.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger Swanson
Ok so you know I am new to this diesel stuff sorry to spell the name of the engine wrong...lol

Oops, should b Cummins and not Cummings... :-) hope I have not offended any of you die hard diesel guys/gals out there.

Thanks for the help,
R
No worries....I fixed it for you...sorry it took so long I got your email but wasn't able to fix it till I got home from the Hospital.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins