1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

wiring harness question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wiring harness question

A friend of mine has an 89 d350 with some wiring issues. I don't know the whole story but he is looking for a wiring harness for it. He said he would prefer to replace the whole thing. Anybody know where a you could get such?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before he goes and starts replacing the whole thing, check the harness where it winds over the brake booster. Twice I've had issues with mine now and I thought about doing a swap too (had a chev painless kit from an old VW project) but if it's not needed don't bother. There's some stupid sharp-edged metal retainer clips from the factory that attach the harness to the brake booster. Well after time the rattling from the suspension/motor/etc will actually cause the cheesy little clips to wear through the wiring loom and into the wires making for a cool little light show/mushroom cloud every time ya hit a bump (from the short circuits rubbing together) but it's a fairly "easy" fix. I fixed mine up a la a whole butt-load of solder and splices and then wrapped it in some HD electrical conduit to keep from anymore side-of-the-highway quick fixes.
That's assuming it's under the hood though.

Why rewire the truck when it doesn't need it? It's perfume on a pig in my opinion.
Cheers
-Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the whole story, but I do know that his won't start and he can't find the problem. Any suggestions of stuff that isn't obvious?