1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Window Leak/Floor Pan Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Leak/Floor Pan Rust

I just bought my first truck, and I'm discovering everything wrong with it at the moment. This is going to be a dedicated overlander/camping rig, so I'd like to get this as reliable and rugged as possible.

First rain let me know that the wiper bushings blew out, both windows leak, and that led to the discovery of some rust on the floor pan. I replaced the bushings, and new window seals are on the way (FAIRCHILD KD100210A).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...101328&jsn=488

So out comes the carpet (and everything else), and luckily the rest of the pan looks great.

Any tips or suggestions on rust repair?

Once the rust is repaired, I'd like to prevent this from happening again. I'm open to suggestions.

I found this liner while looking for parts. Has anyone installed one of these floor mats?
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

The following users liked this post:
N. Besonderes (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Grind the rust off, and have the entire floor sprayed with Linex, or Rhinoliner.

Or prime and paint using high qualit paint. Coat it with bedliner.

Then do what I do.
Removable floor mats that get pulled out if the floor gets wet..
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like the rust isn't through the metal yet. So a good clean up and do like Tman suggests and prime/paint or linex the floor.

Big plans for the build? I'd like to eventually use mine for backwoods camping/hunting expeditions, so ill be interested to see some of what you come up with.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Yes. Linex is the way to go, IMO.

My roof is now sealed, as you can see on my cab's roof. If it's done correctly, it's permanent, or at least until I croak from natural causes.
Attached Thumbnails Window Leak/Floor Pan Rust-roof.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
You're going to cover it with carpet anyway. For a least damaging (grinding removes metal) relatively permanent repair, you could knock the loose rust off and treat it with a rust converting primer. You can coat the entire floor pan with it, as it's a pretty decent latex based primer anyway.

Did that with a van once. Floor outlived the rest of the truck.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where I live your floor would be described as "near mint with some surface rust".
Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to need more pictures of your rig. The sleazier, the better.

-Niemand
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Grind the rust off, and have the entire floor sprayed with Linex, or Rhinoliner.

Or prime and paint using high qualit paint. Coat it with bedliner.

Then do what I do.
Removable floor mats that get pulled out if the floor gets wet..
That sounds like it's up my alley. I had planned on using bedliner for the exterior already. It looks great on your truck.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2mtrucks
Where I live your floor would be described as "near mint with some surface rust".
Yup, it's a California truck. I actually bought it to run bio-fuels.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mania Toad
That sounds like it's up my alley. I had planned on using bedliner for the exterior already. It looks great on your truck.
Thanks. I had the Linex color-matched to my truck, which cost a few extra $$ but well worth it.

BTW, you need to remove those bung covers to the cab mounting bolts. Spray inside with some sort of heavy grease (NOT White Lithium), or some other protectant. Put the bung covers back. I had to tighten up the mounting bolts while I was in there as well.

Those caverns rust from the inside out, and by coating them with oil, grease or your favorite KY Sex lube , you can avert having them rust from within I open them up every year or two for inspection and re spraying when necessary.

I believe TC From the great white north loaded them up with wheel bearing grease, but I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time I've thought the wrong thing.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by 2mtrucks
same here!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Remove that rust with a wire wheel in your mini grinder. You don't loose solid sheetmetal that way. Sand blasting would work too, but then you will find sand in the cab forever. Like j martin says, use a rust converting primer, maybe Zero Rust, or a rust converter like Must for Rust. Wear a face shield when using a wire wheel, that wire hurts when it sticks into your skin.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Floor mats that get removed are what is keeping my floors in perfect condition. A little rain gets in, the mats are pulled, the floor wiped up, doors open for a few hours, and all is dried up.

Haven't had one spot of rust since I started this process.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Floor mats that get removed are what is keeping my floors in perfect condition. A little rain gets in, the mats are pulled, the floor wiped up, doors open for a few hours, and all is dried up.

Haven't had one spot of rust since I started this process.
I will probably do that too. I give up on finding my cab leak for now. Ever since I moved to Texas the truck sits under a carport and I primarily drive a farm truck.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Looks like the rust isn't through the metal yet. So a good clean up and do like Tman suggests and prime/paint or linex the floor.

Big plans for the build? I'd like to eventually use mine for backwoods camping/hunting expeditions, so ill be interested to see some of what you come up with.
Yes I do have big plans for the build. I'm still toying with different designs in my head. I want to build a custom habitation box for extended expeditions, but I think I'll get a slide-in camper to live in while I polish the design.

Quick Reply: Window Leak/Floor Pan Rust