1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ve injector pump needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
The main point here is it doesn't matter what style or brand injection pump it is, it's not ok to apply water to it when running or even luke warm. I don't care if it's a common diagnostic process for some.

How would you ever know the difference if the pump had failed or failed simply beacause you poured water on top of it. Chances are you had a perfectly good pump until the point in which you just placed water on top of it while it was warm. Now you have a pump that is not any good, not beacause it was worn out but simply beacause you decided to troubshoot it with a bucket of water.

But that's ok troublshooting things in that manner are what keep things in my shop so keep on keepin on, water and all.

As a side note redneck is spot on with the 4430 having an A pump not a pee pump, just an fyi.
Well *** would you troubleshoot a perfectly good pump? It clearly was not perfectly good or he wouldn't have been pouring water on it in the first place. You're blinded by your opinion here. You can feel that it's not a great way to troubleshoot or that you wouldn't advise it, but it's just your opinion.

The OP did a very common and not contraindicated troubleshooting test on his pump by pouring water on it while warm and running. This may not be advised on an inline JD pump, but is very common for an old worn out rotary pump.(note that no opinions were expressed in this statement)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well coming from the guy whom didn't know an A model pump was an inline piston pump I don't know what to tell you. It seems to me your statement about a 4430 having a p-pump tells me all I need to know.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Banned

Well coming from the guy whom didn't know an A model pump was an inline piston pump I don't know what to tell you. It seems to me your statement about a 4430 having a p-pump tells me all I need to know.
Did you go back and read that conversation or are you just picking and choosing what to take from this?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian.B
back in the summer it was idling low when it got hot,,pour water over it and it would idle up......but now it will fire straight up but it started acting like the fuel filter was out changed it and the lift pump but its getting worse now after it gets to about 1200 rpm it starts bogging out and hazing.....
So when an injection pump idles low it could be that the idle setting slipped or several other possibilities like worn out throttle linkages on the pump itself. Now that we are in the winter not the summer it is acting up again. It's not possible for the lift pump or a fuel supply to be the problem it must be the injection pump itself. It couldn't be the fuel tank sending unit sump mechanism either because they never fail. It's got to be the pump so let's put some water on it while it's running and see what happens.

Do I have this about right MR Fonder? Of course this is just your opinion right?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

So when an injection pump idles low it could be that the idle setting slipped or several other possibilities like worn out throttle linkages on the pump itself. Now that we are in the winter not the summer it is acting up again. It's not possible for the lift pump or a fuel supply to be the problem it must be the injection pump itself. It couldn't be the fuel tank sending unit sump mechanism either because they never fail. It's got to be the pump so let's put some water on it while it's running and see what happens.

Do I have this about right MR Fonder? Of course this is just your opinion right?
Let's also remember that I never once told him to pour water on it or gave him a lick of troubleshooting advice. That's more info that you've fabricated in your little fit you're throwing.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j.fonder
Pouring water on a VE pump when it's running poorly is a very common diagnostic test. If the truck runs ok cold, then runs like crap hot, you pour water on the IP to cool it down. If it goes back to running smooth with the water, the pump is done worn out.

A 4430 has a pee pump.
If I read this correct you said this is very common and did not dispute it was the wrong thing to do? Or did I make this up also?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Ok, don't make me turn this car around ...Mark
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Banned

Are we there yet are we there yet?
mknittle (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed everything I could on the truck and it would still idle low when it got hot to the point it died at red lights I even turned the idle up .....in the mornings it would idle very high then die off as it got hotter so one day I drove to pikeville and it died and I poured a bottle of water over the pump and it idled back up.....and I can't really see the harm In pouring water on it.....if that would hurt it then starting one in sub zero weather must destroy them......lol
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
To the OP: Is your pump rebuildable or are you concerned that it is worn beyond that point?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian.B
and I can't really see the harm In pouring water on it.....if that would hurt it then starting one in sub zero weather must destroy them......lol
No. When they start in cold weather, it is all cold and all warms up together. When it is all hot and you rapidly cool part of it off, tolerances change. Maybe nothing bad will come of it, but if the wrong tolerance changes in the wrong direction, you now have a badly scored/seized injection pump.
mknittle (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am afraid its worn out ...
Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Well I see that some still don't beleive or understand how applying water over a running or warm injection pump can cause harm to it, I offer this advise. Call an injection pump repair facility and ask them if it's ok, then call 3 more shops and ask the same question. Let me know what they have to say. Best to ask questions first than to assume it's ok just because you don't have the understanding of why it's not ok.

In the end it doesn't matter to me if you want to use water for a troubleshooting tool, I could care less. Some of us just tried to warn you of the dangers of doing such a thing, one from previous experience while working at a fuel injection shop, others from a basic understanding of how an injection pump operates. It's your engine and your pump do as you like, just don't ask us why it's acting up next time you use water as a troubleshooting tool.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Informative thread by those with experience, thank you.
The following 3 users liked this post by ofelas:
boeingguy (02-01-2017), Diesel_Dawg (02-01-2017), mknittle (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Well I see that some still don't beleive or understand how applying water over a running or warm injection pump can cause harm to it, I offer this advise. Call an injection pump repair facility and ask them if it's ok, then call 3 more shops and ask the same question. Let me know what they have to say. Best to ask questions first than to assume it's ok just because you don't have the understanding of why it's not ok.

In the end it doesn't matter to me if you want to use water for a troubleshooting tool, I could care less. Some of us just tried to warn you of the dangers of doing such a thing, one from previous experience while working at a fuel injection shop, others from a basic understanding of how an injection pump operates. It's your engine and your pump do as you like, just don't ask us why it's acting up next time you use water as a troubleshooting tool.
When you have tight tolerances between different materials that expand at different rates and add that todays fuel has little lube in it I can see I can see that happening.
bigragu (02-01-2017)

Quick Reply: ve injector pump needed