1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Valve Cover Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Valve Cover Gaskets

I run the grey ones, as they seem to last the longest. I'd like to try the blue ones I've seen in pics, just don't know who carries them. Black ones, never again. But the ones I'm posting about are the O rings that go on the bolts. Those seem like a 1x use. Has anyone drifted into trying cut style gaskets, meaning square cut O rings with more depth to them? Just tossing out ideas. What about Viton type? They seem like they would last longer? If I had to outright just buy black O rings, is their a certain size called out for these? Tried buying just the O rings from NAPA and they said I'd have to buy the kit which includes the bottom gaskets, too, which I do not need
Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Order the new style gaskets (available from Geno's). They go under the cover, instead of between the screw and the cover. Seemed a little odd to me, but they work nicely.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Alec
Order the new style gaskets (available from Geno's). They go under the cover, instead of between the screw and the cover. Seemed a little odd to me, but they work nicely.
. How does that work? When you thread the bolt downwards what keeps the O ring or the gasket up top to prevent oil from spewing out?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
i just picked up the gray ones and the new style bolt gaskets(all from cummins) that go on the inside of the valve cover. waiting for a nice sunny day to install them and adjust my valves. glad to hear good things on the gray ones though!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM

Can someone shoot me a pic or link of those under the cover bolt O rings?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I take it your parts jocky isn't the best? I just took an old o-ring in and told them I needed six new ones. They went to the back and got six generic o-rings that were the same size.

Fel-Pro makes the blue gaskets which I have found to last even better than grey Cummins gaskets.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Fel-Pro makes the blue gaskets which I have found to last even better than grey Cummins gaskets.
i also had better luck out of the blue ones.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
No issues whatsoever with Cummins valve cover gaskets.

And if you guys are talking about these valve cover bolt seals....

Those are not the correct ones for the standard valve covers. Nor do they go under the valve cover. Those seals are used for the industrial valve covers with the integrated crankcase breathers.

I just use a standard rubber o-ring to put around the bolt. They last for a little while until they start to weep just a little bit. For as inexpensive as you can find an assortment pack of o-rings in either metric or SAE sizes, it's not a big deal.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm using the grey. They aren't leaking yet after 3K miles but I have removed a couple of the valve covers recently and they were a bear to get back on. They seem to have expanded, making them tough to properly seal again - even though the cummins parts guy said these were reusable. I never had an issue with the blue fel pros from napa.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
No issues whatsoever with Cummins valve cover gaskets.

And if you guys are talking about these valve cover bolt seals....

Those are not the correct ones for the standard valve covers. Nor do they go under the valve cover. Those seals are used for the industrial valve covers with the integrated crankcase breathers.

I just use a standard rubber o-ring to put around the bolt. They last for a little while until they start to weep just a little bit. For as inexpensive as you can find an assortment pack of o-rings in either metric or SAE sizes, it's not a big deal.
That is not what they are talking about. For some reason many of the non-dodge applications used that style valve cover (both in pairs for the vent and normal singles).

I take it that Cummins now has something that goes between the valve cover and rocker pedestal to seal it up.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 AM

Well . . .

I replaced my o-rings with some cheap nitrile ones, and they started to leak after about 10k. So, I bought a set of gaskets from Geno's that were supposed to be a new cummins part that went under the cover, between it & the pedestal. I didn't think the covers were really designed with a sealing surface there, but I went with it. The gaskets I got look like the ones that Jimbo identifies as being wrong. That said, they haven't started leaking yet.

So, I retract my previous post . . .
Old 09-04-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alec
Well . . .

I replaced my o-rings with some cheap nitrile ones, and they started to leak after about 10k. So, I bought a set of gaskets from Geno's that were supposed to be a new cummins part that went under the cover, between it & the pedestal. I didn't think the covers were really designed with a sealing surface there, but I went with it. The gaskets I got look like the ones that Jimbo identifies as being wrong. That said, they haven't started leaking yet.

So, I retract my previous post . . .
Hey, Alec I just received those new style bolt bushing gaskets from Geno's. They have a flat end and opposite that end is a tapered end w/ a step out. Pardon the ignorance, but which end points upward towards the underside of the valve covers?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 AM

I installed them flat side down, tapered side up.

I am inclined to believe Jimbo's statement that they are not for this application, however. I suppose I should call Geno's and see what they have to say.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM

Cool, man, and thanks. So I'm curious how long these will hold up being bathed in oil. How long have you had yours in? No leaks? I like the idea, as those previous style O rings underneath the bolt head, I felt, were on their way down hill as soon as you torqued the bolts down. The compression, stretch, etc.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 PM

Anyone have a part number for the rubber isolator that fits over the two studs, that go under the valve cover beauty plate? Mine are rotted out. I got those new bushing seals that Alec reccomended from Geno's. Seems like it'll work out ok. Like it!

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gaskets