1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper control arm

I just replaced my ball joints about a year ago. One day last week my truck just felt funny when I applied the brakes or hit a bump. It felt like it was coming from the passenger side so I put the passenger side on jacks and checked ball joints, tie rods, etc. Didn't find anything wrong ( didn't check other side) Dohhhhhhh. Drove about 4 blocks away to deliver an invoice for some work that I did and walking out to my truck my front drivers side wheel was at a very odd angle. I poked my head in behind the wheel and saw that my upper ball joint popped out of the control arm. Bent the little sheet metal on my brake caliper and scraped the inside of my rim a bit. Guess it let loose in that 4 blocks. I can't seem to find a control arm anyplace so I had a buddy weld the ball joint for now. Does anybody know where to get a control arm? I found one listed at Chrysler parts direct but when I call the guy says that it's the wrong part. Looks like it to me but they have 2 different part numbers. Any ideas guys?

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
Does anybody know where to get a control arm? I found one listed at Chrysler parts direct but when I call the guy says that it's the wrong part. Looks like it to me but they have 2 different part numbers. Any ideas guys?

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
I damaged the left upper control arm on my D-250 trying to remove the bushings so I need to find one too. Also, the Moog replacement bushings don't have the colar for the bushings like the stock ones. Do you need to put a new colar back on the bushing?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
My Upper Control Arm on the drivers side cracked all the way thru at the frame. The Aft section is totally disconnected.
It happened when I was in a parking lot parking too :-|
I hit the curb with the driver's side wheel, that was it. When I pulled away after dinner I heard a loud pop and then every time I applied the brakes the wheel pulled sharply to the left. I made it home, but I'm not going to drive it anymore till I get all four control arms swapped. The later model I/c trucks have better control arms than my '89.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM

The upper control arms on my 90 non intercooled model had a thread for the upper control arm. I have had 2 ball joints pull out of my 98! In 2000 or so maybe 98.5 or later they started riveting the ball joints in the upper arms. I still have the old front end of my 90 that I could sell if someone needed them. I had a lower control arm break on my 90 and the suspension and everything hit the ground. Good thing I was just pulling out of the driveway and not on the highway.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM

The upper control arms are the same from I believe the late 70s, I got an early one from a salvage yard. You have to make sure you put the Diesel ball joint in. The ball joint is the main difference but the arms are the same. A good salvage yard can tell you what years will work. I had the same problem. I think I gave $15 for an arm, thats been a few years ago. Good luck