1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

true costs of 400+ HP

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true costs of 400+ HP

Most of us can rattle off a list of the parts we think will get us at or above 400 HP. Obvious stuff like big sticks, studs, a turbo or two, pump mods, a clutch or converter... And we put an imaginary price on what that stuff costs and figure that what it cost to get to to the goal.

I'd like to get folks chiming in on the supporting stuff that's less obvious. Stuff like Dana 80? Input/output shafts? Just the sort of stuff that breaks once the engine hits 400ish.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM

I think it depends on what you're using the truck for. That's going to define what it's going to cost in beefing it up. Not that I'm an expert, I'm probably not cracking 200hp!
I was just thinking of say, a sled puller like Pulltilbroke's, as opposed to BC847's, compared to Wannadiesel's. You know what I mean? Andrew is pulling huge loads at high rpm's, David's doing boosted launches but no load, and Faith may dabble a bit, but drives mainly for kicks. It's a good question, but I think, like most things, the answers you'll get are going to be as varied as the ways of actually achieving the 400hp mark.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Hmmm. Indeed. Obviously different truck/uses/owners will break different parts. Purpose built trucks like dedicated pullers and racers aside, I think most of us on here do rely on them as road vehicles, towing, driving to work... Whatever. What I'm looking at is for the average Joe, building things up one weekend at a time and screwing around at the occasional drag strip or red like race, what are common failures. And when I say building things up I mean finally doing the big HP jump that most of us wish we could afford.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
The thing that complicates the answer IMO is that we're dealing with high mileage trucks and parts.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck breaks nothing, since it can't hook. I've kept it that way so that I can be a dyno hero on a budget. Lockup trans on the way though, so look out! I know on the 727's a ripped-up planetary is the most common unintentional mod, but it usually doesn't happen till around 500hp.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

I guess what I was getting at is maybe taking the figures folks give you, and average them out. If the build is going to be over several years, (like mine ) then some parts may become obsolete, new parts available etc. altering the costs somewhat.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JQmile
My truck breaks nothing, since it can't hook. I've kept it that way so that I can be a dyno hero on a budget. Lockup trans on the way though, so look out! I know on the 727's a ripped-up planetary is the most common unintentional mod, but it usually doesn't happen till around 500hp.
Are you going to pull with your new truck Jason, or just tow with it?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM

The 95? I plan on pulling with it, although not too often. Breaks too much stuff, and there aren't that many pulls around here anyhow.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

The 95? I plan on pulling with it, although not too often. Breaks too much stuff, and there aren't that many pulls around here anyhow.
So, you'd know as much as anyone about how much it's going to cost to increase the hp on it. What do you reckon? I think it depends too on how far you take it. Do it in your driveway, or give it Scheids or whoever and have them do it.

You put, what, $10k in to Rust Bucket?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in this situation too. I drive for economy and reliability in all my vehicles, ... however I do watch the high-performance boys with interest and incorporate the occasional mod, eg the IP advance. Also stressing these systems beyond what I do can be a predictor of what may go wrong with mine since, as BC847 points out we're all high mileage. Pulling those big sleds looks like fun, but I just couldn't make myself do it with my good old beast, ...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
400 hp not to bad we built a set of twins for my sons truck last dyno pull was 407/900 he tows with it all the time and its held together very well its the life expectancy that shortens up a bit .his getrag it making lots of noise now so that will need a rebuild soon, but the rest of the truck is still doing good
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM

my current setup has egt problems and i think a fair amount of money could be spent trying to keep those cool, intercooler, pipes(exhaust and intake), correct turbo for your application, you could make 400 on fuel but your driveabilty is going to suck without these mods, and the getrag will hold, for awile
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by KD93
So, you'd know as much as anyone about how much it's going to cost to increase the hp on it. What do you reckon? I think it depends too on how far you take it. Do it in your driveway, or give it Scheids or whoever and have them do it.

You put, what, $10k in to Rust Bucket?
It all depends on what you're willing to live with, and whether you want to do it right, or cobble it together. I made 448 on spray with just a compressor upgrade and converter and big injectors, but who knows how long it would have lived like that. With VE trucks, it's stupid easy to hit 250-300 on fuel...a lot harder to hit 400-450 and by the time your 550-600 you're in for a lot of work. I would like to see more people invest in 14mm heads, I think they're reliable as long as plenty of fuel is run to them, and the rpms are kept under 3,300.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:57 PM

I would like to see more people invest in 14mm heads, I think they're reliable as long as plenty of fuel is run to them, and the rpms are kept under 3,300.
What is defined as "plenty of fuel"? Would a LP piston lift pump suffice?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I'd go with at least an AirDog or something like that...the stock filters are also a restriction.

That being said, if memory serves, I think KTA once told me a lot of 1st gen guys in his area were just running the 94 and up high pressure pump at like 20psi.

Quick Reply: true costs of 400+ HP