1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

trailer brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer brake

What's the best way to hook up a trailer brake control? I have the brake control wired to the battery and a wire run to my new six pole plug from the brake control for the trailer brakes. I used to have a flat plug on the truck. I wired those wires into wat I think are the right spots in the new plug. I still have to figure out the wire for the brake pedal if someone could help me with that? But last night I plugged the trailer into my plug, the lights worked but were weak I'm thinking a grounding issue? Wen I turned on the left blinker all the trailer lights flashed and wen I pushed the brake pedal all lights went out. I think that's because I don't have the brake pedal hooked up yet. Am I on the right track here? Is there an easier way to do this? And if someone could point out the brake pedal wire that would be great I have a 92 W250
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you need to trace all the wires and mark them as to what they go to then find the corresponding wire from the truck a test light is your friend... start with the large pin first that should be the ground wire,don't Raleigh on the ball to complete the ground.the trailer brake controller should be fused and normally black is fused power ,red is from brake light switch ,blue goes to trailer brakes ,white is ground.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds to me like you have your wires mixed up in your new plug. Six way plugs can be wired with either constant power or brake power to the center pin. If you use the "standard" wiring. Just went through that with the boss's Duramax and stock trailers. Your lights aren't getting ground, and are backfeeding into other circuits looking for it. Get the plug wired right and you should be fine.