1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

tow mirrors, leaves and whistling

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb tow mirrors, leaves and whistling

didnt know it but my truck came with tow mirrors, i thought my mirrors were sliding off their posts, well i got messing with it while i was setting in my truck and my buddy was running the hay baler, i realized my mirrors slide out almost 6 inches wider, that was my cool high light of the day, i had never heard anyone talk about them on here before so i was kinda surprised, now for the leaves, my vents are full of leaves, palmettos to be exact, florida truck, well when you turn on the fan on high it makes horrible "flapping" noises, like if you were to hold a sheet of paper out the window while driving, and spits the leaves out every so often, another thing with it, what is the panel in the front under the dash that sucks air into it, its a very small gap, it makes a horrible whistling noise, combine that with the leaves and you cannot run the blower at all, since my A/C isnt completely charged yet, tomorrow it will be, i want these noises to stop.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Check this site for instructions regarding cleaning out the HVAC box:

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...owtoshow;id=45

My truck has only 70k miles and has been garaged its whole life -- yet I still found two grocery bags of leaves inside my heater box.

The heater box is a relativley soft plastic. I used a sharp scribe and a straightedge to get some deep lines scribed into the box. I then finished the cuts with a Stanley utility knife (w/new blade). After opening the box and removing the leaves, my cuts were so clean and tight I was able to simply push the plastic edges back together and run a small bead of clear silicone RTV along the three cut edges (so there was no need to fabricate a metal plate to cover the hole). This seemed much safer than the sabre saw technique described in the above-listed link.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i took the 2 right side dash vents out and smacked the heater box in the passenger side footwell a few times and they have almost all blew out, well after messing with the center bolt-on piece that redirects the air it dosent make the flapping noise, it sets on the tranny hump, i took it off and made some cardboard gaskets after i peeled the flapping plastic backing tape off so i could seal it up tight and now it blows better out the vents, just got to trim the cardboard, if you guys take it out make sure you get it in right or it wont seal, added a 16 dollar can of refrigerant today, dang that stuff is so expensive but MAN now i can hang meat in the truck its so cold.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gators and bulldozers you need to be a little more careful off to do more waterproofing in the basement
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm interested in these tow mirrors. You got any pics of what you're talking about. Incognito First-Gen tow mirrors are a new one on me.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
I'm interested in these tow mirrors. You got any pics of what you're talking about. Incognito First-Gen tow mirrors are a new one on me.
x2 I would like to see these things. Are they the same that came on the similar Chevy mirrors where you could slide the mirror itself out?
Old 10-31-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a zombie thread. I am interested in these mirrors as well.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LOGAN
didnt know it but my truck came with tow mirrors, i thought my mirrors were sliding off their posts, well i got messing with it while i was setting in my truck and my buddy was running the hay baler, i realized my mirrors slide out almost 6 inches wider, that was my cool high light of the day, i had never heard anyone talk about them on here before so i was kinda surprised, now for the leaves, my vents are full of leaves, palmettos to be exact, florida truck, well when you turn on the fan on high it makes horrible "flapping" noises, like if you were to hold a sheet of paper out the window while driving, and spits the leaves out every so often, another thing with it, what is the panel in the front under the dash that sucks air into it, its a very small gap, it makes a horrible whistling noise, combine that with the leaves and you cannot run the blower at all, since my A/C isnt completely charged yet, tomorrow it will be, i want these noises to stop.
This thread is worthless without pictures!