1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Touchy rear brakes- Prop valve or ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Touchy rear brakes- Prop valve or ABS?

My back brakes are too good. Very touchy and lock up too easily.Seems more back brakes than fronts. The ABS doesn't work either. There are no codes in ABS sys. No shoe contamination that I can see/smell.

Is it possible that the brakes are grabbing before the abs can sense the lockup?Sounds funny but the grab right away.

For those that have bypassed the ABS valve in back, were your brakes very grabby prior to bypassing and then normal after the bypass? I think the valve may be hung up but not showing trouble thru the abs computer.All wires, sensors and computer are good working otherwise.

I plan on bypassing the abs valve only to find out if that is the touchy issue. Then a new valve or whatever to keep ABS system after. Before I replumb I figured I'd ask if anyone else noticed a change.

I did a lot of searching with no definitive answer on this.

Does anyone think its the proportioning valve biasing toward the rear?

I don't think its fluid contamination on the shoes, no outward oil stains or gear oil smell and the brake fluid is perfect. Very tight, clean 93 we are talkin about here.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Usually its just a small weep of gear oil or a tiny bake fluid leak on the shoes. I know you said you can't see or smell it. I also have has several trucks of different brands that had the touchy brake thing when it was damp out. Ride the brakes a sec and it would go away. I currently have the same thing with my 89. It is only 1 side so I suspect I have a weeper. I need to pull the drum and have a looksey.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No luck on the riding the rust off, they always do it. I wouldn't mind them working so well if the ABS modulated it.