1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote goes for BFG commercial TA's. Those were the last set on the truck. Wore great. I have 40k on them as they sit in the garage. I had very poor rotation habbits and a bad alignment issue after some front end work. I took them off when i put the alocas and BFG A/T's on. They will go for 60k no problem probally more. At them time in the summer of 2006 4 235/85R16's installed were 489.00 out the door. Winter time with the plow for the little I use it I never had issues. It did everything I wanted. Also got Great MPG with them compared to what I have now.

I would have tried Toyos but there is one place in chicago that can get them and they think they are gold plated I guess.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Safety 1st!!

Most importantly, whichever tire you decide on, make sure the DOT number on the tire does not exceed the 6 year date of manufacture. Some tires the numbers are easily read, something like 4 numbers that show month and year produced. Others, are written in some kind of "code" on the tire, and back to what was mentioned earlier about unknowledgeable punks that work in some of these places, a good tire person should be able to show you on the tire and help you decipher the date of manufacture for peace of mind. A good tire guy should be able to fire off the meaning of the "coded numbers/letters" which tell you the date of manufacture.
Either 20/20 or 48 hours had a show telling consumers of the hazards of tires being purchased past the DOT 6 year dates. Many were killed in the accidents caused by the tires. What happens is that the "glues" used to attach the layer of tread on a tire gets old after time and it peels off unexpectadely, probably most likely at freeway speeds during the summer months. The tread ends up wrapping around axles and drive lines causing loss of control, and you all get the rest. The TV show actually found dealers selling tires that were on the shelf for 12 years! They were brand new as far as new looking was concerned, but the adhesives used in making the tires were not. These tire salesmen did not know how to decipher the codes, or did not know that there even was one!
I posted a tread awhile back, because sure enough it happened to me. I was unhurt, but my drivers side wheel well sheet metal is folded upwards towards the bed and the sheetmetal on top of the bed directly above the wheel well is humped upward about 3" high. My auxiliary tranny cooler was also wiped out. Let me tell you, you definately loose control...I was all over the freeway, all 3 lanes back and forth at 65 mph, and people knew better than to get in my way. When I pulled over, the tire still had air, but all you saw for a tire was steel belt all around.
Anyway, long post, and hopefully anyone purchasing tires will take my information into account. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tire with dates past 4 years of manufacture. BTW, the tire brand was a well known brand, so well known that 4 wheel drive magazine did an article on their plant and showed how their tires were produced. This article came out about 3 months after the accident.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The date you are referring to lists the week and year of manufacture.
If made in or after the year 2000, it will be 4 digits.
For instance 2205, meaning the 22nd week of 2005.
If before 2000 it is only three digit. The week and last digit of the year; 225 would be the 22nd week of 1995 (or the 22nd week of 1985?).
I had a guy try to sell me 4 "new" Michelin LTX tires once from craigslist for $400.
They all had new tread and I could see two of them looked great and were made in the last couple of years. The other two were weather checked bad on one side and slightly dirty. Spare tires from two trucks made in 1999 I'm sure. He had the bad sides facing down in his truck and when he saw me flip them over, he knew by the look on my face he lost the sale.
I might still have bought them if I didn't plan on running down the track or drive as fast as I do.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by GLHS
The date you are referring to lists the week and year of manufacture.
If made in or after the year 2000, it will be 4 digits.
For instance 2205, meaning the 22nd week of 2005.
If before 2000 it is only three digit. The week and last digit of the year; 225 would be the 22nd week of 1995 (or the 22nd week of 1985?).
I had a guy try to sell me 4 "new" Michelin LTX tires once from craigslist for $400.
They all had new tread and I could see two of them looked great and were made in the last couple of years. The other two were weather checked bad on one side and slightly dirty. Spare tires from two trucks made in 1999 I'm sure. He had the bad sides facing down in his truck and when he saw me flip them over, he knew by the look on my face he lost the sale.
I might still have bought them if I didn't plan on running down the track or drive as fast as I do.
sounds like one of them knowledeable people we were discussing earlier...GLHS-thanks for clarifying and helping to school the crowd.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 PM

It might be hard to find at first but once you have seen a few you will recognize it easily.
You can find some tires that are stamped with a 53rd week as sometimes that's just the way days fall into the calender year.

As I said earlier, I'm not afraid to run ten year old tires as for the most part they are made pretty well.
I just won't do it going 110+ on a 90 mph rated tire.

Unlike these new ST rated "trailer tires" that fly apart in 4-5 years. They should be outlawed.

OK, back on topic.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
I see 235s on 1st Gen.DRW all the time; they are not as far apart as I would like to see, but there is space between them when not heavily loaded.

Good old 7.50 x 16 are still available, in both BIAS and radial; in fact I have a set of BIAS on the rear of my Ford; there are miles of space between the 7.50s.

The 7.50 X 16 is exactly the same height as the 235-85-16, just 7-1/2" wide, instead of around 8-3/4".
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigragu
Most importantly, whichever tire you decide on, make sure the DOT number on the tire does not exceed the 6 year date of manufacture. Some tires the numbers are easily read, something like 4 numbers that show month and year produced. Others, are written in some kind of "code" on the tire, and back to what was mentioned earlier about unknowledgeable punks that work in some of these places, a good tire person should be able to show you on the tire and help you decipher the date of manufacture for peace of mind. A good tire guy should be able to fire off the meaning of the "coded numbers/letters" which tell you the date of manufacture.
Either 20/20 or 48 hours had a show telling consumers of the hazards of tires being purchased past the DOT 6 year dates. Many were killed in the accidents caused by the tires. What happens is that the "glues" used to attach the layer of tread on a tire gets old after time and it peels off unexpectadely, probably most likely at freeway speeds during the summer months. The tread ends up wrapping around axles and drive lines causing loss of control, and you all get the rest. The TV show actually found dealers selling tires that were on the shelf for 12 years! They were brand new as far as new looking was concerned, but the adhesives used in making the tires were not. These tire salesmen did not know how to decipher the codes, or did not know that there even was one!
I posted a tread awhile back, because sure enough it happened to me. I was unhurt, but my drivers side wheel well sheet metal is folded upwards towards the bed and the sheetmetal on top of the bed directly above the wheel well is humped upward about 3" high. My auxiliary tranny cooler was also wiped out. Let me tell you, you definately loose control...I was all over the freeway, all 3 lanes back and forth at 65 mph, and people knew better than to get in my way. When I pulled over, the tire still had air, but all you saw for a tire was steel belt all around.
Anyway, long post, and hopefully anyone purchasing tires will take my information into account. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tire with dates past 4 years of manufacture. BTW, the tire brand was a well known brand, so well known that 4 wheel drive magazine did an article on their plant and showed how their tires were produced. This article came out about 3 months after the accident.
Good info there as well. Knew about the date coding but never really thought to mention it. And I always check it. Always. I don't want old tires even if they probably are still good. If I pay full retail price, then I am entitled to new tires. Tires that have been on the shelf for a decade are not new just because they have not been mounted on a rim. Alot of times the tire places don't show you which specific tires they are installing before they put them on your truck. I make them bring the tires to me for inspection before I'll even pay for them, much less before they get anywhere near my truck. Some of them get huffy and puffy about it because they think I am some know it all jerk trying to tell them how to do their job. Oh well...
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

tirerack.com has some very good info on tires. If you select a tire you can see how it has been reviewed by users. I then click "read all reviews for this tire" and then click on the "filter by miles driven on tire". It will give you an idea of how many miles the tires commonly go. If there are many reviews with more than 70k miles on them, that should tell ya. The Michelins have good numbers and so do the BFG All Terrains. BTW, the General Grabber AT2 is almost the same tire as the BFG, is cheaper and has very good reviews.

Be careful with a tire on there that has great reviews, but not many "miles reported" as the reviews are mostly from buyers trying to compensate for their high dollar purchase and not based on real data.