1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time to say goodbye to Mad Max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to say goodbye to Mad Max?

Well, I think the time has come to say goodbye to Mad Max.

I love the truck, but my heart is just not in it any longer.

My wife cannot ride in it due to her back and she says it is time for me to let Max go.

I am pulling the bent up aluminum service bed off the truck and I am going to scrap it. It can be fixed, however the end result would be around 90% and I will always see the repairs.

I’m either going to part out Max or sell it out right at Carlisle this July. I have not made up my mind about that yet.

There is no rust anywhere. It has great sheet metal, core supports, inner fenders, new tires, rebuilt I.P., new ECM, new drive shafts and ball kit, rotors, brakes, P.S. pump, vacuum pump thingy, water pump, pillar gauges, 5-k airbags, rebuilt 1993 Dana 70 (from last year’s mishap), Aluminum rims, wheel balancers, new pressure plate and rear main seal, rebuilt trans (several years old.) P.W. P.L. extended cab, with warm AC (what else is new), cruise, CD player, overhead counsel with speakers, driving floodlights in the custom bumper and so much more. I have put over 16-K into this truck not including purchase price over the past 4 years, and its killing me to do this.

The front end will need to be worked on. This was going to be the last thing I needed to rebuild before I had the rear tire blowout and utility bed mishap.

What do you think it’s worth parting it out or selling it as a whole truck sans the rear bed?

I'll start crying now.........

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I think the question is.. what is wrong with the truck? I think you should think hard about it and what exactly you want to do. I know that if I ever was in an accident I would part my truck out, keep the cummins motor and maybe put 2k into a onan conversion kit. 40KW to power a house would be a nice feature.. there is a lot of stuff you can do. I wouldn't let the motor go for under 5K, that's just me. We use them all the time for pumps and so many things. Try taking a new cummins motor out of a newer truck.. you can't do it without bringing all that electrical crap with to make it run. The 6bt is a nice motor, thousands of uses..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would try and Ebay it first. See what you can get out of it.....then if you didnt make a deal somewhere along the line, then part it out. Sad to see it go like that, but sometimes it is better to just move on. I am thinking of the same thing now too, but everytime I get in it to drive it.....nah, just cant do it (yet). Its hard to beat these ole 12 valvers.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
part the truck out, keep the engine and put it in something sweet, like a f250 highboy
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
I think the question is.. what is wrong with the truck? I think you should think hard about it and what exactly you want to do. I know that if I ever was in an accident I would part my truck out, keep the cummins motor and maybe put 2k into a onan conversion kit. 40KW to power a house would be a nice feature.. there is a lot of stuff you can do. I wouldn't let the motor go for under 5K, that's just me. We use them all the time for pumps and so many things. Try taking a new cummins motor out of a newer truck.. you can't do it without bringing all that electrical crap with to make it run. The 6bt is a nice motor, thousands of uses..
I got a 45-KVA diesel gen hooked up to the house. A little overkill you think? I got the gen for 3-K (with 100 gallons of diesel). I could not say no to that.

Everything is fine with the truck except the front end needs attention.

The only damage (outside of the tire, which I bought new today) is the aluminum service bed.

I may change my mind once the bed is off, Right now, I am sad looking at it.

The box should be off by weeks ends.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by firstgenW250
part the truck out, keep the engine and put it in something sweet, like a f250 highboy

I was thinking about a Fummins........

I do love the 6BT.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
I would try and Ebay it first. See what you can get out of it.....then if you didnt make a deal somewhere along the line, then part it out. Sad to see it go like that, but sometimes it is better to just move on. I am thinking of the same thing now too, but everytime I get in it to drive it.....nah, just cant do it (yet). Its hard to beat these ole 12 valvers.

I can't see 5-K being obscene for the truck without the bed.....
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I vote fix it, and put it up for auction. Donate the money to charity, and good will

BTW,

My wife's name is charity, and my son's name is good will. They're going to like the money you're giving them....

Thanks ! Most appreciated.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I vote fix it, and put it up for auction. Donate the money to charity, and good will

BTW,

My wife's name is charity, and my son's name is good will. They're going to like the money you're giving them....

Thanks ! Most appreciated.

You're not right nin the head.......
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by slatemd
You're not right nin the head.......
Yes, I know that.... the sky was blue yesterday as well.

Really sucks you're making this decision to get rid of something you enjoy so much. Really difficult, I assume.

I'm aware of the costs you speak of that you put into your truck, as I've done the same. The problems I've had weren't "life threatening" as having a tire break off, but I understand your frustration, as I've contemplated going out and buying a new truck, and saying goodbye to all of the upkeep these trucks require. How many times can I fix the same thing ? My brake master cylinder was just replaced (warranty) brand new again from Napa. It immediately started leaking out the cap... after I just finished cleaning and re-painting the frame. Again, I understand your frustration, as these trucks can test your patience.

I think I would miss the fun driving my beast, but at least I wouldn't be under the new one ..... just a lot poorer from it.It's a personal decision, and I wish you the best in making it. If you get another truck, then at least the wife can travel along with you....

On a positive note, you must be married to a good woman, as you're willing to let max go to have her cruise along with you. I guess you're not as un-lucky as this dude was here. I think he's a future advocate for keeping celibate, that is once his burns heal, he's de-toxified, and he the wounds heal from his wife's axe wielding episode.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ng_to_kil.html
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I'm aware of the costs you speak of that you put into your truck, as I've done the same. The problems I've had weren't "life threatening" as having a tire break off, but I understand your frustration, as I've contemplated going out and buying a new truck, and saying goodbye to all of the upkeep these trucks require. How many times can I fix the same thing ? My brake master cylinder was just replaced (warranty) brand new again from Napa. It immediately started leaking out the cap... after I just finished cleaning and re-painting the frame. Again, I understand your frustration, as these trucks can test your patience.
I would like to throw this out there, brother has a 2006 cummins 5.9L which is a quad cab. It's comfy but constantly are dealing with rust and suspension issues. He's taken it to the dealer as the truck has about 30,000 miles on it. Cracked pitman arm, tie rods.. it's a mess... If you go above 65mph there is a heavy vibration through the entire truck. Took it back to the dealer and they went through it changing out universals and all of that crap for free. I remember talking to a guy there that was having the vibration issue in his 2012, his biggest concern was he's getting 15mpg from his cummins Anyways nothing is fixed on it.. they can't figure out the problem. I don't even want to talk about this anymore.. haha.

I just hope you make the right choice, if anything keep the truck and buy a car for those days you want to make a road trip.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by slatemd
I got a 45-KVA diesel gen hooked up to the house. A little overkill you think? I got the gen for 3-K (with 100 gallons of diesel). I could not say no to that.

Everything is fine with the truck except the front end needs attention.

The only damage (outside of the tire, which I bought new today) is the aluminum service bed.

I may change my mind once the bed is off, Right now, I am sad looking at it.

The box should be off by weeks ends.
haha, wow man that was a nice catch on the generator!!!! I was looking at a miller welder generator with the subaru engine to use for a backup power and to use to weld. How I wish I had lots of money! Yeah man, there is always upgrades to make the truck not ride like a lumber wagon. If the wife doesn't like riding in it.. ask her what she doesn't like about it? If she just hates the truck in general.. get her something more comfy. I thought about this the other day.. for the cost of a new truck and the price of fuel..

I'm just investing in my truck, lots of stuff coming
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These trucks can be pretty frustrating. I'm frustrated with mine right now too.

I would find a decent bed for it, have it painted to match the truck. and you could easily sell that truck on ebay for $7,500+

I remember seeing it at Carlisle for sale 2 years ago, and looking through the book that was in front of it of all that it's been through. With as nice as the rest of the truck is, I'd say it's worth fixing.

I'd pay 5k for it with no bed, a bed isn't THAT hard to find. If the rest of the truck is nice and it drives good then it's worth $5000 to someone that knows these trucks.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM

I'd keep it you know that truck now and when you miss it a month from now you won't be able to get it back. If you end up with a newer truck it will likely cost you more in the long run. Even if it doesn't break as often it will cost more than our relatively cheap old stuff. Injectors on a common rail 5.9 are about 5x the cost of ours and the chassis stuff is just as much or more on the new trucks and wear out faster.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 AM

Keeeeeeeeep it!

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to Mad Max?