1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Those who have done a NV4500 swap please chime in !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who have done a NV4500 swap please chime in !!

I have a garbage Getrag w/4wd in the truck now.

I have a NV4500 from a 98 dodge w/ no transfercase.

Will my transfer case from the getrag bolt to the NV4500?

Will the getrag pressure plate work in the NV4500? Clutch disc?

I ordered a adaptor bell housing, which I hope will show soon.

What else will I run into?

Thanks Jason
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM

transfer case will bolt up. You will need to relocate the 4x4 shifrer. you will have to shorten the input shaft bearing retainer about 1/2 inch (.440") i believe. You will have to cut the hole back in the floor about 3 inches also. Clutch should be ok, sometimes you have to grind a wee bit on the inside of bell housing though.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Auge
Clutch should be ok, sometimes you have to grind a wee bit on the inside of bell housing though.

Which clutch in which bell-housing??

This same question came up a few days back on another site.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
The trans shifter hole has to be moved back at least 4". If you cut the carpet carefully you can put it back in the hole! I also went with the cast iron extension housing to replace the aluminum one wich moved my 4x4 shifter back just a little. You will need to get the NV4500 bell housing also. I didn't need to shorten the input shaft retainer or move the 4x4 shifter.

Resources like "Standard Transmissions" in Dallas can really help with the parts selection.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 PM

I have done several of these conversions, and found that the easiest way is to order a conversion kit from Advanced Adapters. It comes with everytthing you need. I have never had to grind the bellhousing, but in the literature that comes from advanced adapters, it says you MAY have to. Do a search on this topic, because I have all the part numbers, prices etc listed on there. Also you need a new pilot bushing which comes with the kit. I remove the seat and fold the carpet back, then use dividers to mark the new hole 4 inches back from CENTER of existing hole, that leaves just a couple inches of open hole when youre done and the shifter boot and carpet dang near covers it completely. The 4x4 shifter is moved back a little, but the stock hole works fine. You also need a spacer for the crossmember that also comes with the kit. Anyway let me know if you need a little guidance, its been a while, but its pretty straight forward-sorry this rambles on so much I keep thinking of things that I forgot to mention-Matt
Old 07-13-2006, 05:08 PM

I have done the 4500 and 5600 swap.
The engine adapter is different. use the 94 and up adapter that one will fit ether the 4500 or 5600. When you change that adapter you will have to install the 94 and up starter. The first gen will bolt up to 2 out of 3 holes but wont mesh with the ring gear, I tryed.
I have a south bend clutch, I did nothing at all with the front of the 4500, it stabbed right in and everything worked.
You will need the 4500 clutch fork and hydraulic slave cylinder.
I used the first gen master and the second gen slave, had to cut the plastic line, warm it up and press it onto the first gen fitting coming off the mastercylinder.
I made a 4WD shift bracket out of angle iron, it turned out fine. drivelines bolted up the same. I used the shifter out of the 4500, I think I cut 3" off and rewelded the threaded piece back on, it wast just too long.
Good luck, you will like it.
The 5600 is a nicer unit but pricey and more work to install. Did I mention its very heavy too
Good luck
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 PM

Trans swap

When we changed mine I got the kit from Blumenthals. Shifter bracket, bellhousing, thro-out bearing and rebuilt trans. No sweat and no worries.
6 mo. unlimited miliage warr. Been in now for 129k and going strong. R C
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

kits, brackets, adapters....... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Not required, plain and simple, no grinding anything, just bolt it up.

NV bellhousing and starter is all I had to change. The slave cylinder can be turned to
go in from the rear (NO puns please)

I have worn out the bolts swaping all this stuff around.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies !!!!!!!!!

I pick up the NV tomorrow.......got my cracked Getrag out tonight....

Thanks, Jason
Old 07-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Got the trans today.
No NV bellhousing and my Getrag will not bolt to it so looks like I will need to get a bellhousing from AA.

Clutch disc will work on the NV, and my 205 t-case also.

Jason
Old 07-15-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go with Advance Adapters you will need the following:

1 each 712584-BH Bellhousing
1 each 715536 Transfer case shifter mounting bracket
1 each 716047 Cross member support (2" x 2" drilled tubing spacer)
1 each 716162 Pilot bushing, bronze

There are 2 areas to check on the transmission when installing this kit:
1. Input splines should be 2-3/4" long for proper fit.
2. Front bearing retainer needs to be shortened from 4.715" to 4.297" over all length.

I did mine about 2 years ago. I ordered a "kit" from Standard Transmission in Texas. They in turn freighted a rebuilt transmission to me; and they had the above items "drop shipped" from Advance Adapters. At that time I could have saved about $400 if I could have had the above part numbers. The AA parts let you use everything that is left on the rear of the engine after you remove the Getrag bellhousing. There was no grinding for pressure plate clearance on the one that I received. I retained the stock Sachs clutch assembly. The throw out bearing fork and its dust boot along with the fork pivot stud from the Getrag was retained. I removed the rear seal from the NV4500 and the coupling fits without any problems. Some folks leave the seal in and run the coupling without any lubrication. I felt that running it dry was not a good idea because they sometimes fail even with lubrication. I also opted for using Syntorq oil in the NP205 transfer case.

Now I have a question which no one on here could answer 2 years ago.
What are the physical differences between the manual flywheel used in the first gens and the ones used for the second gens 94 up; starter ring in the same location? Clutch attaching bolts larger? Thickness & o.d. different?
Anybody have one of each laying around for comparison?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the part #'s...I'll need them.

Speaking of noone knows or is confessing....

Will the "adapter ring" between the bellhousing and engine bolt to any Cummins?

59FORD says everything will bolt up, no kits or adapters needed....
Im assuming he used all the parts off a NV setup.... clutch,adapter ring and bellhousing.

With that said, Can I go junkyard searching for a NV bellhousing and ring. It would be alot cheaper than AA's $500 bellhousing

-Jason
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPINPOSI

Will the "adapter ring" between the bellhousing and engine bolt to any Cummins?

59FORD says everything will bolt up, no kits or adapters needed....
Im assuming he used all the parts off a NV setup.... clutch,adapter ring and bellhousing.

With that said, Can I go junkyard searching for a NV bellhousing and ring. It would be alot cheaper than AA's $500 bellhousing

-Jason
The factory engine adapter will bolt up to any 4BT, 6BT and I'm told the Cummins 6CT. The catch here is keeping the same "family grouping" together as a set. 59FORD is correct. The family grouping normally includes the adapter, starter, flywheel assembly, bellhousing and its bolted on components, and the transmission. As I stated in my earlier post I believe the flywheels of the first gen thru '93 may be the same as the second gen starting in '94 but can't confirm this as a fact as I don't have both to measure and compare. I believe the only difference was the thread size for the pressure plate mounting (AKA clutch cover is some cases). In my area the wrecking yards usually want to sell the entire set up as a unit to someone who wants to change an automatic to a 5 speed. Happy hunting if you go this route because that usually can get a bit pricey relatively quick.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor
The factory engine adapter will bolt up to any 4BT, 6BT and I'm told the Cummins 6CT. The catch here is keeping the same "family grouping" together as a set. 59FORD is correct. The family grouping normally includes the adapter, starter, flywheel assembly, bellhousing and its bolted on components, and the transmission. As I stated in my earlier post I believe the flywheels of the first gen thru '93 may be the same as the second gen starting in '94 but can't confirm this as a fact as I don't have both to measure and compare. I believe the only difference was the thread size for the pressure plate mounting (AKA clutch cover is some cases). In my area the wrecking yards usually want to sell the entire set up as a unit to someone who wants to change an automatic to a 5 speed. Happy hunting if you go this route because that usually can get a bit pricey relatively quick.
Good to know...Thanks !

-Jason
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by frostie
I have done the 4500 and 5600 swap.
The engine adapter is different. use the 94 and up adapter that one will fit ether the 4500 or 5600. When you change that adapter you will have to install the 94 and up starter. The first gen will bolt up to 2 out of 3 holes but wont mesh with the ring gear, I tryed.
I have a south bend clutch, I did nothing at all with the front of the 4500, it stabbed right in and everything worked.
You will need the 4500 clutch fork and hydraulic slave cylinder.
I used the first gen master and the second gen slave, had to cut the plastic line, warm it up and press it onto the first gen fitting coming off the mastercylinder.
I made a 4WD shift bracket out of angle iron, it turned out fine. drivelines bolted up the same. I used the shifter out of the 4500, I think I cut 3" off and rewelded the threaded piece back on, it wast just too long.
Good luck, you will like it.
The 5600 is a nicer unit but pricey and more work to install. Did I mention its very heavy too
Good luck
Hey, I don't know if you're still on here or not, but it's worth a shot.
I'm putting a 4500 in my 1G now using a 5600 adapter plate. The starter is hitting the frame because the big part is in a different position than the original one. How did you get around that?

The plates are sitting upside down right here, but if you turn your screen upside down, you'll see how the big part of the starter hangs a lot lower on the original. the higher position of the later model one hits the frame.

Quick Reply: Those who have done a NV4500 swap please chime in !!