1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Things to Look For?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Things to Look For?

Look at it with a careful eye. Look down the sides to see if it has been bent. Check to see how it starts. Does it smoke a lot at idle? how is the steering ? Does the transfer case and 4x4 work? Is it all oily under it? Are there any puddles? Does the A/C work? How does it sound? This last one is if you have ever heard a good/bad running Cummins. Is it stock? Is it aftercooled? How does it pull under load? What color is it? How's the glass? Does all the electric stuff work? How does the tranny shift?<br> And first and formost,,, take it for a drive!!<br><br> Hope it checks out<br><br> Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 09:22 AM

hey...if someone is growin them in a field somewhere and they are all grouped together please share.....i am sure that many of us would like to appreciate a group of 1st gens ...especially if they are for sale!!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 AM

I know a guy that wants to sell his 93 CTD 5spd 1ton 4x4 black/grey with power everything with 107k. Only problem he wants 12k for it. Great truck but........... 12k :<br>DM01
Old 04-09-2003, 04:27 PM

Sloppy steering from the joint above the gear box is common. Wiggle the steering wheel (while running) to see if anything below the gearbox is loose. Correction for the loose joint is a Borgensen replacement shaft. Works great but a little spendy, around $200 if I remember right.<br><br>Check parking brake cables. When tight, the metal splitter (two cables into one) in front of the drivers side wheel should be vertical. Much of a slant to this indicates mis-adjusted and so mis-worn brakes on the rear. Shouldn't stop you from buying the rig, just realize you might have a brake job to do.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:54 AM

wow...those are some upclose and personal pics!!cant really see the whole truck with those pics.....ps...mayb they were just grazing further down in the pasture!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:43 PM

That is the famous rear wheel anti lock valve leaking internally. I disabled mine and now I have good breaks.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:12 AM

these motors existed b4 they went into dodges, so don't worry about that. 89 and 90s are not intercooled, are the older body style, have the old steering column and dash, use the smaller radiator, older alt, old hard to use lockout hubs, and 3 spd autos. Not bad trucks by any means, but I personally would not pay the same amt of $ for one of them that I would for a 91-93
Old 04-12-2003, 09:53 AM

8)Hey Weg I'm new to Ram CTD, got my Ram 1/2/03. I did intese-online and personal interview homework for more than four months. I got lucky by finding a '93 LE auto, reg-cab at a used car/truck dealer where I had driving a few 2nd gen trucks. I did not want to spend up to 10,000 for a Cummins, got mine for $5200 with 152,000 that appeared fairly well maintained (date writtten on oil fiter, grease off of nipples etc.). I continued a nation wide search using AUTO TRADER to see what was out there, read alot of the Dodge Diesel web pages, I learned alot. Take your time, I think you'll find the best truck that fits your needs. I get 17-21mpg on a stock truck, a daily driver. I intend to pull a 20'-24' 5th-wheel in a couple of years. This truck will do it. If you have any specific questions, email Bluebird.<br>Keep hunting, it will be worth the game capture! Patrick.

Quick Reply: Things to Look For?