1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
steering problem

I posted a question in the HELP! forum - thought maybe I should post here too. <br>When turning from a stop this morning I heard/felt a pop from the frontend. Pulled over to check things out and found the usual ps leaks and sloppy steering box coupler. Oh, before I pulled over the steering was sloppy side to side wandering, enuf for me to pull over. Drove to work and back with no mishaps. When I got home I checked things more thoroughly and found nothing more than I did before. I've rebuilt the coupler before, with minimal improvement, time for a Borgeson? What else could it be?<br>Thanks, Chris
Old 06-12-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:steering problem

(also posted in the Help forum) With the wheels on the ground and the engine running have someone turn the wheels side to side and watch the steering box. If it moves more than just a little flex the mounting plate is probably cracked. I've gone through two. I would also look at the front springs/U-bolts on the drivers side. I had these loosen up before and the force of the steering would push the leaf spring around making a loud pop. <br><br>Also watch the pitman shaft on the steering box. The needle bearings could be shot.<br><br>What part of N.Cal are you in?<br><br>Jay
Old 06-12-2003, 10:36 PM

Jay,<br>I'll check out the mounting plate and the spring - tho I didn't see signs of spring movement, the rust and dirt were undisturbed! I've noticed a few times the truck doesn't want to return to straight after a curve, it kinda does so with a jerk, but not very often. Maybe I should pull the &quot;drag link&quot; and work the box unencumbered to see if it works smooth or rough, that should tell if the bearings are bad. It's time to get a Borgeson too.<br>I'm in Colfax after 19 years in Truckee. ;D<br>Thanks, Chris
Old 06-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay is correct...... the darn mounting bracket for the steering box is prone to cracking..especially if you run larger tires or insist on cranking the steering side to side while stopped.<br>The mount tends to crack on the &quot;radius' &quot; of the bracket, also at/around the bolt holes too.... If you look at the bracket from belowl, with a very bright light, you'll see the tiny signs of cracking/rusty looking spots.<br><br>Personally I'd bite the bullet and get the Borgeson too... since I did mine I haven't had any more trouble with sloppy couplers.. <br>It is a tad pricey but it sure worked for me..<br><br>bob.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:14 PM

Can't find any cracks. I've got a Borgeson sitting in the livingroom waiting for installation Thursday. Got it from that &quot;top of the mountain&quot; place for $190. A local 4X4 shop wanted $287 plus shipping! Ordered it on Sat., was here when I got home today. <br>I seem to be missing an instruction sheet - the one with figure A and B - man I hates that &gt;<br>I'll make a separate post with my ?.