1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering box leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Steering box leak

The seal on the input shaft on my steering box is starting to leak,

Can it be replaced with the steering box on the truck, also is there a bearing and seal repair kit available.

The box is fine other than for the leak.

1991 D-350.

Thanks Jim
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I believe it's just held in with a snap ring. If you have a nice seal puller it could be done on the truck. The complete kit is about $20, cheaper than buying single seals. I did mine a few years ago with a chisel and a hammer. Truck drove great for a few months until I couldn't steer to the left anymore. Ended up putting a redhead box on. hehe.

GATES Part # 351300
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
I believe it's just held in with a snap ring. If you have a nice seal puller it could be done on the truck. The complete kit is about $20, cheaper than buying single seals. I did mine a few years ago with a chisel and a hammer. Truck drove great for a few months until I couldn't steer to the left anymore. Ended up putting a redhead box on. hehe.

GATES Part # 351300
Interesting, do you think the box locking up had anything to do with the use of the chisel and hammer?

Is there a Saginaw kit or are they all generic and where did you find your kit?
Is the Redhead box the same ratio and are there options?

Jim
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Interesting, do you think the box locking up had anything to do with the use of the chisel and hammer?

Jim
There is little rubber seals inside the gearbox that act as a plunger. My gearbox was so old that fluid was getting past the seals and causing power steering loss. I sent my old gearbox off to redhead and just bought one he rebuilt.

You can find that kit at napa or rockauto, just pipe in the part #

I would call Harvey, I know when I swapped my box out it has way more power than my stock box had. My frame twist pretty good and I ended up getting the brace for it which has put a stop to it. The steering is so smooth, feels like a rack and pinion. Not sure what exactly he does to the gearbox but it has a really nice feel.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
if you do just replace the seal do you think you can snap some pics? i know i need to replace the input shaft seal on my 81 but i like having an idea what i am getting into before i tear into it. i already pick the 12 point 3/8" socket that i require to remove the steering shaft, a steering shaft repair kit and input shaft seal kit.

edit
never mind. i just went looking though the FAQ thread and found a link over to the input shaft seal replacement on RCC with some good pics that make things easy to understand.
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...iew;article=15
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i got a seal kit from napa, be careful to clean everything up real good, they get pretty filthy from the tire when leaking, its an easy repair, i did the steering u-joint at the same time.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A input shaft reseal is easy to do with the box in the truck
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane

Jim
Chisel and hammer is just for loosening lock nut, shouldn't have anything to do with the lockup.

I also did mine while on the truck when i first bought it.

Get it really clean before doing and soak the locknut with penetrant for a few days. Take notice of the preload on the input bearing when removing the adjuster. The instructions i had said install adjuster slowly and turn wheel left/right, adjust tighter until input shaft does not move in/out while turning wheel.