1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Starter...again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter...again?

Installed a rebuilt starter 2 months ago on the '89. It has worked flawlessly since. I parked the truck Friday evening with no hint of trouble. I went to start it on Sunday afternoon and it barely turned over and then the "click, click" sounds of a near dead battery. I hooked the cables form the '96 to it, and after 5 minutes, it slowly turned over a time or two and then wouldn't. I switched out another battery no better, another jump attempt, no better. It barely turns and then starts clicking. Turn loose of the key and what power there is is still there. The dash lights look like the battery is down, it cranks over like the battery is down, but won't accept a jump. There is a spark when I hook the cable, so that connection is happening.
Anyway, it's raining, and coolish out. I'll investigate further in the daylight. I wouldn't bet the farm on either battery, but it seems odd it can't be jumped. Does any of this sound familiar? Thanks, Ron
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron E
Installed a rebuilt starter 2 months ago on the '89. It has worked flawlessly since. I parked the truck Friday evening with no hint of trouble. I went to start it on Sunday afternoon and it barely turned over and then the "click, click" sounds of a near dead battery. I hooked the cables form the '96 to it, and after 5 minutes, it slowly turned over a time or two and then wouldn't. I switched out another battery no better, another jump attempt, no better. It barely turns and then starts clicking. Turn loose of the key and what power there is is still there. The dash lights look like the battery is down, it cranks over like the battery is down, but won't accept a jump. There is a spark when I hook the cable, so that connection is happening.
Anyway, it's raining, and coolish out. I'll investigate further in the daylight. I wouldn't bet the farm on either battery, but it seems odd it can't be jumped. Does any of this sound familiar? Thanks, Ron
Sounds like a bad battery. Do you have a volt meter? It takes a lot to start these trunks and if the primary battery is dead, it can't draw enough through jumper cables to start...Mark