1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

stacks or side exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacks or side exhaust

I'm torn between putting a set of 6" turnout stacks on my truck or going with the 6" tip behind the tire. I'm getting ready to install my HX35 and do the other pump mods and have decided to go with the 2nd gen elbow as well, so i'm not sure about running the 4" all the way out or turning it up through a set of stacks. i love stacks and how they look and sound on my 2nd gens, just not sure if i'm going to get that same "peterbilt" sound out of this first gen w/o and intercooler. what do ya'll think.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM

I say go for the stacks. I was told that mine had the "peterbilt" sound before I put the intercooler on. Plus I like the look of the stacks.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM

well compared to a 24v i dont think it will be as loud, but i'm wondering how loud it will be. i dont want to have the look of nice big stacks and then no sound to show for it. of course i run all straight pipe, i figure when its too loud, i'm too old . will the HX35 make a lot of difference in the sound also.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Don't worry man, it won't be quite! I recommend larger that 5" stacks. My 5 " sounds good, but I would like a little deeper. But you should hear a full throttle shift at 3400 rpm in a tunnel, Yeeeooow!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for old school side pipes. It really sets off the car alarms! I don't think the intercooler should make a difference with sound. The larger the pipe the deeper the tone. A Pete with 8" stacks has that nice low note to it, 4" on our trucks is a bit on the raspy side.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Strait pipe will be loud. I had a singe stack with straight pipe on my 89 and it sounded great. With windows up not bad at all. Slide the rear slider open and you will hear it.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

straight pipe 4" to 5" and dual 5" stacks sounds great.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Talking

I have heard a p pump truck , a vp44 truck and a common rail truck straight piped, and there is just nothing cooler sounding than a straight piped 1st gen with big pipes. Mine has twin 6 inch stacks, and full 4 inch straight piped exhaust. The bigger the pipe the deeper the sound. I tried my old mans 5 inchers just to see how they sounded, but went back to the 6'ers cus they sounded deeper. P pump is louder but just not the same grunting noise of the ve truck. Personally I think 24 valves are just too raspy, but louder. I had a side pipe (no muffler of coarse) with 6 inch turn down tip before the stacks, and it is lots of fun to set off alarms with, but I can still set most of them off with the stacks as well. Plus 6 inch mitre stacks just look wicked. Rolling coal out the stacks is more fun than the side pipe too. More cloud effect. With the stacks, open up the slider and then you can also enjoy the awesomeness that only a cummins can make. Slider closed and windows up is no louder than than the side pipe inside. Outside the truck the stacks are LOUD. If you get turn outs, it will be a little louder than the mitre cut cus they angle the sound back and not up. If you do side pipe, get a turn down tip or something with a bend. A bigger tip that is straight, will reflect less sound than a curved one, the sound bounces around a lot more and gives it the deep tone. My friend put a 6 inch straight tip on his 4 inch tail pipe, and it did nuthin for sound. Put my 6 inch turn down on it and made a big difference. The hx 35 will make a little more noise than the h1c, but I didnt notice much. Put a super 40 compressor on the hx35 and LOTS more turbo noise!! Have fun and good luck. Pretty much any exhaust combo with a 12 valve and a ve pump sounds pretty cool!! And yes the ugly rusted tool box is LONG gone and replaced with nice flush mount diamond plate box. Need to take some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails stacks or side exhaust-009.jpg   stacks or side exhaust-010.jpg  
Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 AM

I've got straight piped 3.5", and my truck sounds like a 300 Mack with half as many gears. It is awesome sounding, but after a while I get tired of it. Usually in the winter I run muffled.I am not a stacks guy, but I would love the deep note of 8" pipes. Petes with big pipes are quiet till they rev up. It's kind of a sleeper effect.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 AM

i have always had stacks on all of my 24v's and common rails, i guess i'm just a little timid to do stacks since this is my first 1st gen and want to do it right. i have always run 6 or 7" turnouts and i loved them on my newer dodges. i was thinking about going with 6" turnouts cuz i think 7s would just be too big on that truck. i'm really hoping this works out how i want, cuz i really like a loud truck and love the look of the stacks.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

I *had* a single 3" non-muffed exhaust feeding a 5" turnout stack. Sounded great in town, but would drown out ALL other sounds on the highway... with the windows UP! Not to mention the obnoxious "1700RPM" drone rattling everything in the cab.

I yanked it off to run at the DynoDay last November and ran back to a long 90* in front of the pass. rear tires... still just as loud from the outside, but I can hear the radio with the windows up or down, hear the CB, & carry on a conversation.

Heresy? Maybe
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Well I decided to get rid of the stock 3" exhaust over the weekend on Sunday and install at least some if I couldn't do all of the 4" exhaust I bought for the truck about two weeks back. I bought a new Cummins 2nd GEN exhaust elbow for the turbo outlet and 2nd GEN downpipe. Also got a 4" transfer case pipe with 3" inlet, cut the 3" part off to insure I could mate with the outlet of the 4" downpipe, and got a 5" AeroTurbine muffler. Due to not having any hangers to hang the exhaust and the transfer case pipe not lining up with the downpipe I only got to installing the exhaust elbow and 2nd GEN downpipe. I'll need a short 5-6" piece of 4" flexpipe to join the downpipe and transfer case pipe, install the 4-5" adapter at the end of the transfer case pipe, and then install the muffler and 5" 45 degree elbow after it. I should have all the necessary parts tomorrow after work and I am going to finish installing it as a system. But in the mean time I've been driving it since Sunday with just the 4" downpipe. I gotta say it's pretty sweet being able to hear that engine and turbo wind up. 90% of my drive to work is highway and I don't think it's something to consider keeping for the long run as there is that drone, so the muffler should handle that once installed. Oh, and since the truck has the automatic transmission the downpipe does go past the dipstick tube, but it's a tight fit. The upper part of the tube where the stick gets pulled out at rubs on the downpipe slightly. I think I'll have to find a way to shim it over at least a 1/4-3/8" so that it's easier to check the fluid level when need be. For guys with the manual transmission I'd highly recommend doing the 2nd GEN exhaust elbow and downpipe as it fill fit like it was made to under the hood and I think a stock shaped 4" 1st GEN downpipe is more restrictive being that it's shaped like an "S". I'm looking forward to finishing up the rest of the exhaust and hopefully see a 2-3 mpg increase in fuel mileage now that the exhaust can breathe.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 AM

Dual 5" stacks are pretty smooth, like everyone is saying - they have a great deep sound with windows down but are quiet enough to not bug your cranky lady with the windows rolled up. Plus they are great for deturing tailgater's Smoke em out
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 AM

well if my truck doesn't get swept off the map by Ike out there in the gulf, i'll probably start building my 6" set up. i just like the deeper sound that the 6" pipes give over the 5". just hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that it sounds the way i'm wanting it to sound.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM

i got 1 stack. its cool!

Quick Reply: stacks or side exhaust